1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a question regarding the US version
of the 2000 M5. Are there any differences
between the US version and the european version? I'm specially interested in the
engine / engine control system and the exhaust system.

Thanks,

Carsten.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm not sure how different, but the engine control systems definitely are different, to accommodate US OBD-II requirements.

The US-market cars use four oxygen sensors - one in front of and one behind each catalyst - once again to measure cat effectiveness for OBD-II.

US-cars get different lighting, lenses, gauges (MPH and other DOT requirements), etc.

US-cars also get one-piece front disc rotors instead of the floating rotors used elsewhere.

There are likely other small differences, but this is what I'm aware of.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, I have a Euro M5 as a test vehicle and it works with my OBD-II scan tool. It may not light the MIL like a US version will, but the architecture is there.

Also, the Euro version does have four O2 sensors. Again, I have the car to prove it.

With such low production numbers and such a high price, I think that BMW may just have the same emission system on all M5s. Just an assumption based on my auto engineering experience. Plus everything I've investigated on the Euro M5 checks out with the official US M5 serive documentation I have.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Hmmm, is there a "UK hp" as well?

Anyhow, 400 "german" hp or 394 US hp, after a while you still want more....

/Johan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suppose that you could convert it to British Thermal Units per Hour(BTU/hr)! That would be:
1 US hp = 2544 BTU/hr = 1.0139 PS (that's Pferdestarke, for those of you following along!).

OK, so now you all know how nerdy engineers can be. However it's defined, I still agree with you Johann, you can never have enough power!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts