BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm new here with a white/black/carbon M6 coupe I just picked up, trading my RS4. One of my wheels was scuffed in transit, and looking at replacements, I noticed that the Euro M6 is spec'ed with forged wheels, while US cars get cast wheels. I'm also aware that we don't get launch control. Just wondering what other differences there are? I searched the archives. TIA!

·
Registered
218 Posts
What are yout feelings between the RS4 and M6? I know there totally diffrent cars but just wondering:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
US= charcaol filter
Euro = NO charcoal filter

·
Registered
155 Posts
tbh gable, im not sure. but i reckon it's because of tighter u.s. emmision laws, and the charcoal filter prolly reduces soem sort of pollution at the cost of a few HP's. however that's only a guess, there are plenty of knowledgable folks on our forums that can give you a exact reason....

·
Registered
814 Posts
charcoal filter

hmm.. about the charcoal filter... I've seen a few post on here that people have removed it from the car to improve performance.. normally at the same time the software and intake mods are done... so... what I want to know is... where is this charcoal filter????...

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The headlights and taillights are slightly different.

2006 - 2007 US models have orange front corner reflectors, while other markets have clear.
2008 has a redesigned headlight and US models have an orange reflector added to the front edge of the wheelwell, while other markets do not have this reflector.

2006 - 2007 US models have a red reflector in the clear lens of the taillight, while other markets this area is clear.
2008 has a redesigned taillight which integrates a red reflector for all markets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The US wheels for M6 are forged. The wheels for M5 are cast.
Don't think so. From BMW USA's website: "M Radial Spoke (Style 167M) light cast alloy wheels". The Euro brochure says their wheels are forged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are yout feelings between the RS4 and M6? I know there totally diffrent cars but just wondering:)
M6 is more relaxing and luxurious to drive--much more of a GT. Better in traffic because of the SMG. I can't compare performance because still in the break-in period. I loved the RS4, but didn't drive it much. If I could have kept both, I would have.

·
Registered
836 Posts
as far as charcoal filters go they remove some sulphur compounds that are emitted soon after the engine is turned off, they're not filtering anything while the car is running.
As others pointed out there are differences in headlamps and taillights and launch control. Btw we have LC, just not the Euro version which allows you to use the cruise control stalk to adjust the rpm at which the clutch dumps. Also Euro LC does perfect redline shifts automatically.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have not tried LC on my US 08 yet. Is it the crippled version that only goes to 1800 RPMs or so or the European one that goes to 4000?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm sure it's the US version. Mine dumps at 1400 rpm. in the summer when the ground, tires, and air coming into the engine are warmer it works well for me. In the winter harder tires and ground and colder air means too much wheelspin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's something else: the international website says the M6 is 1710 kg (3769 lbs) with a 90% tank of gas. The US website says it's 3909 lbs "unladen".

The US RS4 was substantially decontented from the euro version; I wonder what else BMW has done for us. Though they must have done a good job if we can't tell.

edit: the international website says "Unladen EU" is 1785 kg, but the spec sheet says this includes 75 kg for driver/luggage and 90% tank.

·
Registered
224 Posts
as far as charcoal filters go they remove some sulphur compounds that are emitted soon after the engine is turned off, they're not filtering anything while the car is running.
As others pointed out there are differences in headlamps and taillights and launch control. Btw we have LC, just not the Euro version which allows you to use the cruise control stalk to adjust the rpm at which the clutch dumps. Also Euro LC does perfect redline shifts automatically.
Why are some members of this board removing the charcoal filter if it does not affect performance and does have an environmental benefit?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why are some members of this board removing the charcoal filter if it does not affect performance and does have an environmental benefit?
He meant it doesn't filter anything out during driving. It doesn't have to filter a substance in order to restrict airflow, and there is a performance benefit to removing them. They're right under the air filters for those wondering.

·
Registered
836 Posts
it does affect performance negatively by increasing resistance to intake of air, so when you remove you'll get about a dozen horses back. It's environmental benefit is limited to filtering compounds emitted for a short while after the car is shut off, but not while it is running. So it does provide a function just for brief periods, the rest of the time it's hurting performance of the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Adding to the already poor environmental attributes of this car seems not worth it to me for a mere 12 horses... I doubt I would even notice the difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts