BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My brother went away for the week and gave me his 06 M5 to play with. I noticed the "M" button on the steering wheel and the "POWER'' button on the console. What is the difference between those two? also when I am driving and I push the M button in SMG mode I notice the car jumps too. Is that normal? Also when I have the car in automatic mode will the M button work or only in SMG mode? Over all I love this car a lot! I noticed the power in the E60 and my 00 M5 is night n day! I have never driven anything more powerful!

·
Registered
331 Posts
The M button depends on what settings your brother has chosen. Most people choose P500-S (which is the most responsive/powerful setting). The DSC can be turned off and shift setting of 6, or, what I have is MDM and S5. Peoples preferences vary. If you simply press POWER, the car will be less responsive compared to P500-S. You can, however, turn DSC OFF and S6 on without using the M button. Confusing, I know. As for the M button working in auto-mode...I don't know...5000 miles and I've never tried! :haha: We don't like auto mode round' these parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Read the manual

How do I set it on P500s? Also when I push the M button it kicks or jumps like if it wants to be turned loose, is that normal? Steering also tightens or is it just my imagination?
You are not dreaming, all this is programable through the iDrive menu - see the manual to learn the M button options....
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are not dreaming, all this is programable through the iDrive menu - see the manual to learn the M button options....
I just came back from the car & no manual! :grrrr: but I will check it on the internet. Thank u kindly!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The fact that the car 'jumps' when you hit the power button means that it is set to P500S. The 'jumping' is the sharpening of the throttle response. If you can't figure out how to get into the MDrive menu (it depends on the software version that you have, but on my car, you hit the menu button to get out to the main menu, then you press the idrive button down, towards the ground, then search within that menu). But, since the car is already set to P500S, you can adjust any other settings outside of the MDrive menu.

So, hit the Mbutton and you're in P500S.
Next to the shifter, press the EDC button such that both lights are lit and you're in sport suspension.
If the MDM light is on the dash, that means that traction control is in the 'we'll let u slide a bit, but keep it within control mode'. If you hit the DSC button, you're on your own. However, if you do hit the DSC button to totally turn the traction control off, the car will let you access one faster level of shifting by pressing the up arrow behind the shifter.

Hope this helps. Have fun and be careful in bro's car :cheers:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Blue Angel, I work in bath beach (bath ave & bay 17th) I am just about to head to work, if you want to swing by I am happy to show you the settings and differences.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Angel, I work in bath beach (bath ave & bay 17th) I am just about to head to work, if you want to swing by I am happy to show you the settings and differences.
I sort of got the hang of it. i'm learning little by little. Thank you kindly. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fact that the car 'jumps' when you hit the power button means that it is set to P500S. The 'jumping' is the sharpening of the throttle response. If you can't figure out how to get into the MDrive menu (it depends on the software version that you have, but on my car, you hit the menu button to get out to the main menu, then you press the idrive button down, towards the ground, then search within that menu). But, since the car is already set to P500S, you can adjust any other settings outside of the MDrive menu.

Next to the shifter, press the EDC button such that both lights are lit and you're in sport suspension.
If the MDM light is on the dash, that means that traction control is in the 'we'll let u slide a bit, but keep it within control mode'. If you hit the DSC button, you're on your own. However, if you do hit the DSC button to totally turn the traction control off, the car will let you access one faster level of shifting by pressing the up arrow behind the shifter.

helped a lot! I followed your instructions and I see the difference already! incredible machine! One day I will by my own for sure! :cheers:

·
Registered
994 Posts

Good summary, Dave. One thing is that the car jumps when changed from the pointless p400 mode into BOTH p500 and p500s. I know this as i only ever make this change into p500 as I never use p500S as i prefer the more linear throttle response of p500.

Hope everyone could follow that.

And to the OP- never use Auto mode. 7,000miles here and I've covered a grand total of 1mile in D mode and that was on accident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm an Idiot

:1zhelp:The dealer didn't have my books ready, and I just got the manual today. I read it and checked your posts, but I want to make sure:

So basically, the car ALWAYS reverts back to P400 mode when I restart it? No exceptions, right?

Or to put it another way, regardless what I set the "M Drive" to on the screen, unless I hit the "M" button or the "Power" button, it's in P400?

I guess I've been driving it around in 400 HP mode mostly. Sometimes I hit the "Power" button. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
:1zhelp:The dealer didn't have my books ready, and I just got the manual today. I read it and checked your posts, but I want to make sure:

So basically, the car ALWAYS reverts back to P400 mode when I restart it? No exceptions, right?

Or to put it another way, regardless what I set the "M Drive" to on the screen, unless I hit the "M" button or the "Power" button, it's in P400?

I guess I've been driving it around in 400 HP mode mostly. Sometimes I hit the "Power" button. :dunno:
Correct to all of your comments!:M5thumbs:

Plus you will always default to D3 on the SMG.ouich

Get into IDrive and set it to "enjoyable" and push the fricken button!:hihi:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Balla!

From now on, I'll always hit the "M" button before I leave my garage. :cool:

The funny thing is, since I got the car, I always turned DSC off and put the SMG setting to S6 (6 bars). Too bad I've been rolling around w/ 400HP.

ouichouichouichouichouichouichouichStooooooooooooooopidouichouichouichouichouichouich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts