BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired three M 5 clusters with good pixels. I put one in my car and it works good. I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the black and gray faces on the clusters. I have two gray and one black. Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
I recently acquired three M 5 clusters with good pixels. I put one in my car and it works good. I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the black and gray faces on the clusters. I have two gray and one black. Thanks
No difference I believe, just the color of the gauges/dials.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
wasnt sure what years were black and then gray? any ideas
2000 black, 2001+ grey. 2000 replacements were generally also grey, unless replaced very early in the 2000 car's life.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much any real differences in the two? i have one black two gray for sale any idea what a fair price is? Thanks

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
My understanding is that European cars had a change over period around 2000/2001, some cars had the updated dials but none of the other facelift parts.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I paid just over $200 for my black-faced cluster, shipped, a little over a year ago. Going price now seems to be approaching $300, even ones that have bad pixels are trying to sell at that price. The thing is they are not selling, quickly, that is. I also do not have personal assurance that a proper swap, recording mileage and VIN information in the 'new' cluster, can be accomplished. Although I do have a confirmation from a repair/refurbishment company that information from a used cluster can be cloned into another used cluster, there are a lot of people who say it can't be done. Until then, used clusters would seem to me to be of little worth. Hard to use even as spare parts as the meter movements are usually (always) destroyed during removal.

Didn't stop me from buying one and going down that path soon, though.

-Josiah

1 - 8 of 8 Posts