BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am in the market for an E39 M5 and I have only been looking for '01's and up. I was wondering what differences the 2000 M5's have besides the obvious (steering wheel, headlights, dash/screen). I was also wondering how hard/how much it would cost to update the car with the newer parts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Mark Chapparone

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Other than the obvious differences that you have listed, mechanically that are the same. If you purchase an '00 the upgrades to an '01 model can get costly. If you plan on doing all the upgrades your better off purchasing an '01 or newer. Whatever your decision good luck and happy motoring:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
184 Posts
There have been many reports of minor vanos problems with the '00s that were resolved with '01 on. From what I recall the vanos problems don't affect performance or reliability, but you should do a search for threads on the subject.

///M_CHAP said:
Hey guys,

I am in the market for an E39 M5 and I have only been looking for '01's and up. I was wondering what differences the 2000 M5's have besides the obvious (steering wheel, headlights, dash/screen). I was also wondering how hard/how much it would cost to update the car with the newer parts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Mark Chapparone

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Unfortunatley VANOS problems are not isolated to MY00 models only. There have been reports of MY01+ models also reporting minor VANOS problems. :sad3:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
Unfortunatley VANOS problems are not isolated to MY00 models only. There have been reports of MY01+ models also reporting minor VANOS problems. :sad3:
True. I should have been clearer that I was referring to a specific mechanical difference resulting in certain issues specific to pre-'01 models. Here's the text of a service bulletin on the issue from thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41607&highlight=00+vanos:

SUBJECT
VANOS Rattle Noise After Engine Start

MODEL
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 with S62 engine produced up to 11/30/00.

SITUATION

A rattling noise coming from the front of the engine (VANOS area) may be heard for a few seconds after start up.

CAUSE

The VANOS adjusting units may cause a momentary rattling noise after the engine is started due to varying torque of the camshafts before sufficient VANOS adjustment oil pressure is built up.

When the engine is switched off, oil bleeds out of the high-pressure chamber in the VANOS adjustment cylinder. This can cause the VANOS adjustment piston to move freely against the housing during engine start up causing the momentary rattling noise.

This noise has no effect on engine power output or durability.

CORRECTION

M5 and Z8 vehicles produced from 12/1/00 incorporate a VANOS accumulator shutoff valve which prevents oil bleed off of the high-pressure chamber after the engine is switched off.

On a customer complaint basis only, a VANOS accumulator shutoff valve can be installed to eliminate the momentary rattling noise after the engine is started on vehicles produced before 12/1/00.

Note: Three VANOS accumulator shutoff valve kits have been developed to accommodate the running production changes on M5 and Z8 vehicles.

-- Kit part number 11 36 7 832 855 should be used on M5 vehicles produced up to 8/31/00 and 11 36 7 832 856 should be used on Z8 vehicles produced up to 9/1/00. These kits include electrical and mechanical components for the VANOS accumulator shutoff valve installation.

Kit part number 11 36 7 832 858 should be used on M5 and Z8 vehicles produced from 9/1/00 up to 11/30/00. This kit includes mechanical components for the VANOS accumulator shutoff valve installation since the wiring harness is already installed during production on these vehicles.

Section A of the procedure below outlines the wiring installation instructions needed to install the VANOS accumulator shutoff valve on M5 and Z8 vehicles produced up to 8/31/00.

Section B of the procedure outlines the installation of a VANOS accumulator shutoff valve (mechanical components only since the wiring harness is already installed during production on these vehicles) on M5 and Z8 vehicles produced from 9/1/00 up to 11/30/00.

Note: Both section A and B procedures must be used on M5 and Z8 vehicles produced up to 8/31/00 to complete the VANOS accumulator shutoff valve installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts