BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a couple of US customers who wants me to identify the ratio of the M5 diffs we have in stock.

I have had a quick look and can not see anything that resembles a ratio.

Anybody help?

Thanks
Paul
www.infinicar.com
Breaking 2 x 3.8 E34 M5

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Infinicar said:
I have a couple of US customers who wants me to identify the ratio of the M5 diffs we have in stock.

Anybody help?

Thanks
Paul
www.infinicar.com
Breaking 2 x 3.8 E34 M5
Hi!!
There should be a part number on the diff, maybe the ratio is possible to check with that?
Of course it`s always possible to count the ratio by turning the driveshaft connector (???) and checking how many turns it takes to turn the outgoing thingys (ie. wheels)

cherrsagai
Sakke

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Infinicar said:

Anybody help?

Thanks
Paul
www.infinicar.com
Breaking 2 x 3.8 E34 M5
Paul
No marking will be on the hypoid casing. Std housing to suit various crown wheel & pinion ratios.

Apart from identifying the date of vehicle manufacture / vin no & therefore the ratio, the only other way is to measure the ratio yourself

Take one piece of chalk & mark the input flange (pinion) at 12 oclock.

Now mark the output flange at 12 oclock or insert a halfshaft & mark that.

Somehow, you will need to secure the hypoid on a bench or someone must hold it down

Using a tool to turn on the output end, turn the output flange one turn.
Someone with you can count the number of each turn the input flange makes, then using a dial gauge measure the percentage of the last turn the input flange makes, ie .68 or .72 of a complete input flange turn.

That wil be the ratio of the pinion & crownwheel.

Thats all I can think of.

Regards
Farrell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts