BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2007 M6 in the USA and had the diff oil changed as there was groaning sound when turning in full lock (both ways).
In the UK i have E90 M3 and it has the same issue.
Local BMW have quoted £120 for 1.5 lt of oil which is BMW part # 83-22-2-282-583
The BMW oil is SAF-XJ-FM 75w-140

I have looked online and found Castrol
CASTROL SYNTRAX LIMITED SLIP 75W-140
cas_uk_Syntrax_Limited_Slip_75W140_1l_180x180.jpg
Fully synthetic axle oil. BMW approved for limited slip differentials GL-5 75W-140. Also suitable for non-limited slip differentials.

This oil is a fraction of the cost.
Does anyone know if the oil that is used by BMW is just a generic oil such as the Castrol above or if they (bmw) add other additives and friction modifiers and that is why it should be bought from them.
If I have to spend £200 for changing the diff oil, so be it as I don't want to damage the differential, but likewise if I can save £££££ I can go that route.
Thnx

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think this is the same as the BMW stuff. Think BMW just adds the BMW tax for the Roundel printed on the bottle. Close up picture of the label says BMW LS (limited slip) approved? I was going to buy a bottle and compare it to the OEM stuff I have at home. But haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-castrol-parts/castrol-saf-xj-75w140-500-ml/001989520310/

Welcome to the USA, I moved here from the UK in 1992. Costs a lot less to burn rubber and petrol here in the USA where gas is cheaper than some brands of drinking water.

·
Registered
914 Posts
This is normal and it is a common issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts