BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've noticed a noise coming from the rear when the car's cold and when I pull a U-turn. It's like the rear wheel rubbing against the fender. BTW, my car's stone stock. It's happened a couple of times and today I decided to investigate. It's usually there when the car's cold and only when I make a U-turn. It goes away completely after riding the car after about 5 to 7 miles. To test, I pulled lot's of U-turns in a parking lot after the 7 mile warm up and it went away completely. My guess it's the diff making the noise only when cold.

I did a search but didn't match the other reports with what I was hearing.

Anyone experience the same?

Best,

Peter

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have exactly the same thing only while its cold or after turning hard a couple of times. I try to tell the company but they wouldnt know it unless they feel it too. Damn bastardsgrrrrrrr

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi [email protected] Power,

Thanks but what is 'FM Booster' and where can I get it?

Best,

Peter

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
I had the same problem. Grinding noise only at full lock (or close to full lock), slow speeds, generally when cold and normally when reversing off my driveway @ full lock or turning round in a car park. On the odd cold day it would do it on a very sharp slow corner in town and when my passenger even commented "did you just scrape the kerb?" when I was nowhere near a kerb! That's when I knew it was time to get it fixed, it was almost as if the diff was locking the rear wheels together on a slow corner, just didn't feel right!

I left it with my dealer over night so they could experience the noise on a cold start and they said it was something to do with the diff, I knew full well what it was from info on this board but played dumb and asked what was needed to which they replied some diff oil1. They had the car another day, replaced the diff oil under warranty and the noise went away for a few months. It's now starting to happen again but not as severe so I'm monitoring it and may book it back in again.

Should be a simple job so long as the dealer has the oil in stock, nothing to worry about really. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think I get the same noise only in the AM. It rarely gets cold here so I seldom hear it. Maybe once a week on one turn as I leave my house. Then I don't hear it all day. It does not bother me and IMO not even worth mentioning to the dealer.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I believe there was a bulletin on this, calling for replacement of the differential fluid with a different fluid. Easy fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks guys. I'll probably send it to the dealer one day and have the diff oil changed. Weird thing is my car only has 5K miles on it. Don't you usually change this after much higher mileage? If they'll change the oil, it'll probably be with the same fluid right? So will it go away?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts