BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to Santapod this morning just nicely driving along and the diff decides to let go. I am so so lucky it didnt lock up completely at 60mph, just locked up at around 20mph as I cam to a stop and sent the car drifting into the hard sholder for about 5 meters. I am sitting here now thinking of the consequences if it had locked up at a higher speed.......

Luckily it stopped just a few metres before an SOS box on the M25.

I am actually sitting in the car right now and it stinks! Recovery truck on its way.

So, another diff required after only 2000 miles. I had to wait ages to get hold of this diff as my old one as many people know was the wrong ratio.

Oh well.......the hunt goes on for another diff and I shall hopefully still be making it to Santapod in another car.

I doubt this diff is recoverable. 3.91 is going back on. I anyone knows of a suitable diff please do let me know.

Sal

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found an american company that sells rebuilt LSD's using OEM parts for £685. They can do 40% lock aswell - don't quite know if I need to go up from 25%....what are the pro's and cons?

Sal (on mobile internet)
(still sitting in car awaiting recovery)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sal - sorry to hear about the diff - even though i am feeling more than a little relieved it ended up not in my car (and a little guilty as a result).

I can provide details of where i bought mine - a lot closer to you than the States and for the sort of money you are talking about, you might even get an M-variable LSD centre fitted if he can find one.

I am away at present, but will send details in a couple of days if you are interested.

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cyrus said:
Just found an american company that sells rebuilt LSD's using OEM parts for £685. They can do 40% lock aswell - don't quite know if I need to go up from 25%....what are the pro's and cons?
We have a guy here in germany who does rebuilds as well but way cheaper than that price! He can do lock ratios up to 40%, he can build almost any diff ratio you want to have. Also he may be able to rebuild your diff for about 300€ - only problem would be the transport from UK to Germany and back. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Brgds
Konstantin

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Konstantin,

just looking at a few ideas.

Found a 3.64 LSD from a 535i and a 3.23 LSD from a 525i Sport.

I'm assuing the 525i one is not going to be upto the job and the 3.64 is going to be a little short in ratio.

No 2nd hand 3.23 LSD's for E34's round right now though.

Sal

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update,

fitted the 3.64 LSD from a 535i to my car yesterday (All on my own on the floor- very proud of myself).

Also changed the oil and gearbox oil.

I really like the gearing, it's not too short and the car is really driveable with the 6 speed box.

Comes highly recommended.

If you are going to do this make sure you change of the output shafs as the ones on the 535i have a difference in the bolt holes for the driveshafts.

Sal

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Well done Sal...............I too have got a bit more balls re tackling certain jobs myself since joining this forum . There is nothing like that sense of achievement felt as a result of doing a job well yourself !:cheers:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
hmmm

Taking my diff out..Sandblasting it..New gaskets...Color...sigh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Huh I thought only the E39 M5 diff can fit on the car?! I'm struggling here to find a diff for my car atm as the input pinion bearing has given up the ghost... a guy can replace it but hes crying about some diffbrake that he is 80% sure has broken and the guy who fixes it or whatever is on holiday for a month -.-'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts