BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of attempting to change the diff fluid. the drain and fill plugs are on the passeger side of the vehicle, right?

all the diy threads i have found say that they are a 17 mm socket.
on my car it seems to be a 17 mm allen key?? am i looking at the right "plugs"? :confused:

TIA

Leo

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Hi Leo,

You have the correct plugs. They are on the passenger (US right) side of the vehicle.

We all talk about sockets because it is hard to find a 17mm allen in any form other than socket. I didn't have enough room for the wrench on the socket, so I pressed the allen key out of the socket and then put a box wrench on it. I think I also put a breaker bar on the wrench.

Remember - open the fill plug first, then then drain...

d-

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leo,

You have the correct plugs. They are on the passenger (US right) side of the vehicle.

We all talk about sockets because it is hard to find a 17mm allen in any form other than socket. I didn't have enough room for the wrench on the socket, so I pressed the allen key out of the socket and then put a box wrench on it. I think I also put a breaker bar on the wrench.

Remember - open the fill plug first, then then drain...

d-
Thanks

Although i just purchased a 17 mm allen key, and it is WAY too big. Looks more like a 13-14 mm? :confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks

Although i just purchased a 17 mm allen key, and it is WAY too big. Looks more like a 13-14 mm? :confused:
Yup i made the same mistake and purchased a 17mm allen key, way to big. I need to change mine as well, would be nice to know the exact size. No more guessing game.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
12mm allen

I got one with a 1/2" drive, and then ground it down so it is *just* long enough to engage the plug fully- this leaves me enough room for a breaker bar with the exhaust right there.

A

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine was a 14mm key. maybe sizes change for different model year M5's :confused:

MY00
-Leo

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine was a 14mm also. Got it in socket form, opened her up no problem. I think there are some gaskets with those plugs that you might consider replacing when you remove them. I think its part 07119963355.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
if the exhaust is off an allen socket works no problem. If the exhaust is on you can use either a socket or a allen wrench but it can be a pain in the but. I found the best thing to do is get a 14mm allen wrench, cut it and use a ratchet wrench to move the cut allen wrench. It makes everything much easier and much faster!

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts