BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between extended leather and all leather? My dealer is clueless, and I have yet to see an M5 brochure anywhere but at the BMWNA site. I can't tell by looking at the small picture there.

- jmk...

·
Registered
257 Posts
jmk,

The All Leather option adds quite a bit more additional leather at no cost (a good deal). If you choose All Leather you will get the dash, the doors, and the transmission tunnel panels covered in leather... which you do not get with extended leather. Go for it.

Dan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, Daniel! Does a specific M5 brochure exist? My dealer only has the MY2000 5 series, which has virtually no information on the M5.

·
Registered
257 Posts
jmk,

There has been much confusion in the US regarding interior options, which has not been helped by the various fax updates by BMWNA to the dealers. I have not seen a really comprehensive brochure in the US, so I spent some time on the www.bmwusa.com web site to see the available color combinations. It does a decent job of showing the options, even if the colors are off more than a bit (go to the virtual car section on their site). Many of the colors look so much better in person than on the site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just keep in mind that you can't get all leather AND get the sunscreens. If you want the sunscreens, which are a nice option, you MUST get extended leather. I guess this is a nice decision to have :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anybody know if the alcantara headliner is available with the All leather option.? My dealer insists that it is only available with the extended leather option, while the 2000 M brochure says that is actually with the All leather. Why dont these dealers know anything about this car??

------------------
SChugani

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe the alcantara headline is available _as an option_ with extended leather. It come with all leather, by default (no need to specify an additional option code).

-Wolf359

·
Banned
121 Posts
Extended Leather = Plastic
All Leather = Leather

I wonder where they get their names anyway. Doesn't the word extended suggest even more leather??

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Kelvin:
Extended Leather = Plastic
All Leather = Leather

I wonder where they get their names anyway. Doesn't the word extended suggest even more leather??
The terms are confusing. Itis my understanding that the extended leather option acually has more leather coverage than the all leather option.

------------------

·
Registered
187 Posts
Absolutely not! All leather has more leather coverage. Also, I just ordered my 2001 - extended leather and sport interior now go together and the same is true of all leather and the luxury interior.

You can no longer mix and match.

·
Registered
533 Posts
extended leather is pretty much teh same as sportive leather except its not two tone.

the all leather has a Significant amount more leather.

I have all-leather and the alcantara headliner. However, no sunshades.

The heritage leather is much more rich and the all leather/heritage option has the stichings on each panel that is covered in leather (if you follow me). This is a very nice look imho.

The alcantara headliner is pretty damn shmoove as well

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just picked mine up two weeks ago, royal red/ caramel. It has the extended leather/heritage option. Just looked on the sticker. The dash is covered with leather above and below with visible stiching. Also has the alcantara headliner (suede?). The sunshades, for some reason, are not leather.
This is the nicest leather interior I have seen on any BMW. Very high quality materials and workmanship. The only thing I have seen to compare is an Astin Martin DB7 convertible. For the money, this option is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Extended and All Leather options are the SAME EXACT leather, it's just that All Leather adds leather to the dash and upper door panels (yes it's leather, just look at the stich in the armpit of the door when you open it). The difference in LEATHER QUALITY is the difference between Sportive and Exclusive interiors (now called Sport and Luxury trims, respectively). Exclusive has the soft Heritage leather, sportive has the Nappa Point leather similar to that found in the M coupe/roadster.
Our's has the Sportive Silverstone Extended Leather option (don't want leather on the dash in the hot Florida sun). We did get the leather on the sun visors and on the center console up to where it meets the dash. The alcantara headliner was a no cost option for Extended Leather trim, standard on All Leather.
Confusing enough?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Jester:
extended leather is pretty much teh same as sportive leather except its not two tone.

the all leather has a Significant amount more leather.

I have all-leather and the alcantara headliner. However, no sunshades.

The heritage leather is much more rich and the all leather/heritage option has the stichings on each panel that is covered in leather (if you follow me). This is a very nice look imho.

The alcantara headliner is pretty damn shmoove as well

My window sticker indicates my car has the Extended Leather option. My dash,doors,seats,console, everthing is leather. I was advised my BMWNA that with the All Leather option the seat backs and sides are faux leather where with the Extended Leather option the seat backs and sides are leather too. So, it seems the Extended Leather option in fact has MORE leather than the All Leather option. Mayby it is a translation snafoo between German and English. I just hope the Hot Georgia sun doesn't crack my leather dash as it did of my Ferraris.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts