BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard rumours for 1+ years of a very strong 5-series diesel BMW in excess of 700+ Nm.

I also got this tip via an anonymous source:

"BMW will deploy this and in the next year the following straight-6-cylinder-3.0-diesel-engine versions:
1. Version – 190KW
2. Version – 230KW
3. Version – 280KW with 740NM
An M-diesel engine is still in discussion and possible. Please take into your account, that the 3rd version is just a 3.0ltr. 6cyl. diesel engine."

ANyone want to fill in?

Also, below quote from BMW M CEO Kay Segler:

"BMWBLOG: Without getting into specifics about future cars, do you see alternative drivetrains being available in M Cars? Will we see an electric M hybrid or a diesel M car?

Dr. Kay Segler Maybe there are two limits when it comes to technologies or drivetrains. Let’s consider drivetrains. The one is if there is a business case and whether it fits within the brand. When you talk electric, just take any electric car and run it along Nurburgring – hopefully you’ll make it back to the start. So it’s another car, with another purpose. So for a race car, that concept doesn’t fit.

When it comes to diesel, we were the one winning first in the Nurburgring 24 hours race with the diesel, and diesel is such is an interesting concept. BMW engines are brilliant from the technology side and it would be an interesting concept, only if the markets were supporting diesel.
It’s a pity that big markets like United States and China are not supporting diesel – all Latin America isn’t really supporting diesel, almost every Asian country is not supporting diesel, including Japan. So then you are basically limited more or less to Europe, especially very strong in Southern Europe- Italy, Spain, so that makes it difficult to run any business case for a diesel concept. But just from the sportiness point of view, diesel is maybe not for a pure racecar, but for performance cars it is very interesting."

·
Registered
452 Posts
True. The people need to re-educate about the power on diesel. Diesel has improved very much in these last years.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
^^ isnt it i8 instead of 8i? 8i would be an 8 series with an engine that doesnt exist but with a fuel injection system :)

That thing has tons of understeer. Yuck. Also I was hoping BMW wouldn't put a roundel on their "i" cars rather have them be their own little company like Mini...

·
Registered
943 Posts
For sure - there will be an M-diesel. I think F10 with xDrive and 3.0 L inline six with tripple turbo. 400 hp 800 Nm. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I already own 2005 535d E61 with 370hp and 780nm. lovelove

It seems to be quite interest diesel figures in near future. :3:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I´m seriously thinking of switching out my 550 for this beast.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks like my rumours from March was on the correct or similar path :)

I have heard rumours for 1+ years of a very strong 5-series diesel BMW in excess of 700+ Nm.

I also got this tip via an anonymous source:

"BMW will deploy this and in the next year the following straight-6-cylinder-3.0-diesel-engine versions:
1. Version – 190KW
2. Version – 230KW
3. Version – 280KW with 740NM
An M-diesel engine is still in discussion and possible. Please take into your account, that the 3rd version is just a 3.0ltr. 6cyl. diesel engine."

ANyone want to fill in?

Also, below quote from BMW M CEO Kay Segler:

"BMWBLOG: Without getting into specifics about future cars, do you see alternative drivetrains being available in M Cars? Will we see an electric M hybrid or a diesel M car?

Dr. Kay Segler Maybe there are two limits when it comes to technologies or drivetrains. Let’s consider drivetrains. The one is if there is a business case and whether it fits within the brand. When you talk electric, just take any electric car and run it along Nurburgring – hopefully you’ll make it back to the start. So it’s another car, with another purpose. So for a race car, that concept doesn’t fit.

When it comes to diesel, we were the one winning first in the Nurburgring 24 hours race with the diesel, and diesel is such is an interesting concept. BMW engines are brilliant from the technology side and it would be an interesting concept, only if the markets were supporting diesel.
It’s a pity that big markets like United States and China are not supporting diesel – all Latin America isn’t really supporting diesel, almost every Asian country is not supporting diesel, including Japan. So then you are basically limited more or less to Europe, especially very strong in Southern Europe- Italy, Spain, so that makes it difficult to run any business case for a diesel concept. But just from the sportiness point of view, diesel is maybe not for a pure racecar, but for performance cars it is very interesting."

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
550dX sounds amazing- I wonder what the fuel economy would be. I also think, given its forced induction, the tuners will be able to supply some more power if you want it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"The rumors are sparked by an apparently official document that includes a model designated M550dX. The first letter and number we all know and love. The 50 reportedly refers to a new triple-turbo diesel inline-six set to be unveiled at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show. The D, of course, refers to the diesel fuel it will burn, and the X for all-wheel drive.

Although most M cars these days carry simpler names like M3 and M5, enthusiasts will note that one of the division's first products was the M535i of 1979, which came along long before the first M5 in 1984. Could BMW be planning on returning to this nomenclature for its first diesel, all-wheel-drive performance sedan? We'll have to wait and see."

BMW planning M5 with diesel, all-wheel drive?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmmm. I should trade the 520d M-Sport for this new M550dx F11.
Then why did you buy a 520d in the first place, and not a 535d F10 or F11. ;)

Ontopic - curious what the price will be.

Serious power, with a chip we could be talking about 430-440hp with over 850nm of torque.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Then why did you buy a 520d in the first place, and not a 535d F10 or F11. ;)

Ontopic - curious what the price will be.

Serious power, with a chip we could be talking about 430-440hp with over 850nm of torque.
I try to explain. When I needed a new car, a while ago, I figured it was better to buy a regular 5 series touring as a family car and buy a faster "fun" car for myself (550i/m5/Nissan GTR). At that time the 535d was not available, only the 520d and 530d. After tuning my 330d e90 (the car before my current car, not used as family car), turbo lag was quite noticeable. This is not a problem if you are alone in the car and having fun, but not so nice with the family on board. Picture you are mostly in the low revs (turbo lag) and you want to accelerate a bit... After a second the turbo kicks in and you feel a small kick in the back and you are accelerating faster than you intended. This behavior is not relaxed in busy or start/stop traffic. The 535d is much better than the 530d, because of it's 2 turbos.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts