BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched lots of threads and have heard of simular problems with other peoples cars,but not really a solution. When i start the car i get the famous rattle from the vanos which stops after a second or so but then on tickover i get the annoying rattle almost like a diesel.The noise seems to be coming from the upper front of the engine,ive checked the oil which is fine. my car is a 2000 model, january i think.

Please can someone supply a solution, thank you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same noise and I don't think there is a solution. You just have to live with it, the noise should be better over 3000 RPM :) Even when warm, it sounds like a diesel.
It is kind of embassasing to start a 400 hp V8 and it sounds like a taxi...but I have learnt to live with it

dan ok said:
Ive searched lots of threads and have heard of simular problems with other peoples cars,but not really a solution. When i start the car i get the famous rattle from the vanos which stops after a second or so but then on tickover i get the annoying rattle almost like a diesel.The noise seems to be coming from the upper front of the engine,ive checked the oil which is fine. my car is a 2000 model, january i think.

Please can someone supply a solution, thank you.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
The mechanics inside the Vanos units were changed at the end of 2000. The later design is slightly better, but does not fix the problem completely.

On the positive side, the only E60 M5 I´ve listened to had very much diesel sound at idle, so it will make the E39 vanos sound more fashionable.

Like "Yea, Baby! These cool cars are designed to sound like this. The trend actually started with the E39 M5 engine, and now they take it one step further with an even more pronounced characteristic, powerful, sound at idle. They want you to here these cars are apart, fast and high-revving, and they want you to hear it even at idle, but they wanted to be discrete still, so they decided on adding this special diesel-like ticking sound, rather than just a loud exhaust."

David

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have the same noise in a 05/00. The Vanos system was upgraded as DavidS mentioned with thicker shims between the Vanos units and the camshafts to cut down on the play between the two. It seems to do the job because I have a friend with a 06/2002 M5 that's pretty quiet compared to mine.

Joe

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a dealer enhamcment update from BMW: not a compulsory recall
which expired in 2003
if you have a warranty BMW ok are prepred to complete this FOC
mine is in today for 2 days having it sorted @ Vines Crawley Sussex

Willo:blink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like ill have to put up with it then,a small price for such a superb car! ill look in to the upgrade with bmw anyway. thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
947 Posts
kjell said:
It is kind of embassasing to start a 400 hp V8 and it sounds like a taxi...but I have learnt to live with it
blip the throttle and watch their pants fill - eases the embarrassment i find :hihi:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts