BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
E60 530i N52
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’m new to this forum, I’m curious about the manual conversions.

I’ve got plans on converting a standard E61 to an M5 with a manual transmission.

I know there will be a lot of planning that will go into getting it complete.

but at this stage, is it at all possible to throw on a manual from one of the diesels onto the V10 block?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Interesting project. The thing that you need to research is the bellhousing bolt pattern. Diesel transmissions may have a different bolt pattern that goes with their Diesel engines. The other thing is that the power curves for diesels are VERY different than gas/petrol engines. Therefore the gear ratios likely will be very different. You may be better off getting a tranny from an E9x M3 or maybe even the E39, but I’m not sure how mechanical compatible (bolt pattern) those were with the S85.

·
Registered
E60 530i N52
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting project. The thing that you need to research is the bellhousing bolt pattern. Diesel transmissions may have a different bolt pattern that goes with their Diesel engines. The other thing is that the power curves for diesels are VERY different than gas/petrol engines. Therefore the gear ratios likely will be very different. You may be better off getting a tranny from an E9x M3 or maybe even the E39, but I’m not sure how mechanical compatible (bolt pattern) those were with the S85.
If that’s the case about the transmission then it saves me shipping costs. As I’m aware that only the USA got manual trannys.

I wasnt aware about the gearing ratios... but that bottles down to my amateur knowledge.

reason behind the project, factory E61 M5’s are almost none existent in New Zealand. From my knowledge there are only 4 here.

I love to look of the E61, and I love the sound of the V10 even with all its problems. So I think it’s worth it in the end.
Have you any tips on what to research while I’m still in the planning stages?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts