BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you all check your tire pressure? It's starting to get cold here in New England, and when I checked mine this morning, they were quite low. I pumped them up to the door-indicated 44F / 48R pressure. I hadn't noticed the slow degradation. The car definitely handles at its best with proper tire inflation. Not to mention you could be putting yourself and others around you in an unsafe situation if you're driving aggressively with underinflated tires.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I can't remember, aren't we supposed to check and add air when the tires are warm, or driven for a while. Sounds a little high for cold tires. Plus, when warm and for normal driving I would knock off 4lbs on each of those reading to get better tire wear.

Originally posted by SteveP:
How often do you all check your tire pressure? It's starting to get cold here in New England, and when I checked mine this morning, they were quite low. I pumped them up to the door-indicated 44F / 48R pressure. I hadn't noticed the slow degradation. The car definitely handles at its best with proper tire inflation. Not to mention you could be putting yourself and others around you in an unsafe situation if you're driving aggressively with underinflated tires.

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 07 November 2000).]

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
I can't remember, aren't we supposed to check and add air when the tires are warm, or driven for a while. Sounds a little high for cold tires. Plus, when warm and for normal driving I would knock off 4lbs on each of those reading to get better tire wear.
You should check you tire when they are as warm as surrounding air temperature which means cold tires.

/Johan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first checked mine in my garage, and they were low (down to 34F / 38R). I drove about three miles to the gas station, and they were the same. I inflated to 44F / 48R, and drove to work (~35 minutes). When I got here, I checked them again, and they were still at 44/48. The sticker on the door does say that 44/48 is the recommended COLD tire pressure.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by johann:
You should always check you tire preasure when they are as warm as surrounding air temperature which means cold tires. Correct. You always check your tire pressure when the tires are COLD. Preferably first thing in the morning after the car has sat all night. Tires take at least 4-6 hours to cool after being driven only a few miles.

/Johan

------------------

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
you want to check them when they are "cold" meaning not driven on for at least a couple of hours. now the door sticker says "max pressure 44/48" This is supposed to be for a fully occupied vehicle with luggage in it. So this leaves us with the question- whats the right pressure for the vehicle with 1 or 2 occupants? Ive inquired around with my dealer and with NA and no one could give me a straight answer. Ive been told such wild things as 44/48 to 32/38.

I tried the 44/48 pressure and the car felt too "bouncy" for my taste. So I spoke with my service manager and Ive come up with a pressure that I think is completely safe for road use (not track use) 38/41. This is with the dunlap tires. Even with the 41 in the rear I can see that not the entire tread is wearing, but its like 95% of it.

ME

1 - 7 of 7 Posts