BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my beast in yesterday to have the oil changed. I brought my own oil and filter (Royal Purple 5w-30) and everything seemed ok until they had me go down under the car and look at the oil plug. The tech said that the drain plug didn't fit tight and he suggested getting a new one. I told him the previous owner said he had done that and I showed him said plug. The guy said that was NOT the right plug..

Upon further inspection they found that the trap door had been rigged with a rubber bumper to put pressure on the plug. Shady.. :Thumbdown:

I'm going to my dealer (an hour away) to get a new drain plug but should I be worried that he stripped out the threads on the pan? Can you do anything to fix that beside a new pan, like a larger plug? :confused2

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hopefully that little kludge isn't indicative of the general maintenance philosophy the guy had...Really shady! little door pops open and the oil drains?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That sucks. In addition to the above link posted, Tmcnasty or has another DIY link. Search under his name.

Would make me wonder what else the prior owner half assed like that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Use an oil extractor, works great!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I can help you with the oil pan. PM sent.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm wondering what else this guy "fixed." He said he had the power steering fixed but that leaks as well. This same car also had very different halo connections soldered on, I thought I solved that but now my halos are flashing at times. grrrrrrr

I think for the time being I am going to keep a close eye on the car and then when I put in my new clutch and Timmay's exhaust tips I will fix the pan. Is there anything else I should check that his shady shade tree mechanic might have jury rigged hmmm

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wow that is bad man!! I dont know how you can take a chance like that on a 18K engine. I would be kinda worried, id probably give the car a good personal once over to make sure nothing else is ghetto rigged for now. That type of fix is something you do when your in the middle of no where, screwed with no phone lol.

Anyways, its more than likely stripped, helicoil/timesert the pan and be done with it. It is very easy to strip the threads on the pan, the previous owners shop he took it to stripped mine and never said anything. I was in for a surprised when i went to change the oil lol.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've used a "single oversized" plug with good success on E30's but on an S62 I'd get it fixed properly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
" I think for the time being I am going to keep a close eye on the car and then when I put in my new clutch and Timmay's exhaust tips I will fix the pan. Is there anything else I should check that his shady shade tree mechanic might have jury rigged "

My oil pan was also stripped by my local mechanic. That was the last time the oil was changed by someone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts