BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my ride three weeks and knew it was due for some maintenance. Inspection II had not been completed yet and i have 101800 miles on it. I knew the thermostat needed to be replaced along with the belts before I bought it, no big deal. And the previous owner had new plugs put in 3 days before I bought it. Along with that, I decided to do an oil change, fuel filter, coolant flush, power steering flush and I cleaned the MAFs.

What I wasn't expecting was the fuel filter was the original one!!! Date on it 02-26-03!!! I am amazed it had not been changed considering the previous owner took it in for any little hick-up. You would think the dealership that sold it, and completed 90% of the maintenance on it would have noticed it was original and changed it right? Money in their pockets after the warranty was up.

Since I am learning this new engine I enjoyed taking it apart to do the thermostat. But when I removed the upper intake cover, 4 out of the 8 intake runner tubes were loose and rattling around. I took the nuts off by hand!! There was also a light film of oil covering the intake. After snooping around I found out the EGR's were toast and the hoses to them are mush. There is gunk in the hoses and the EGRs. Again how can this be overlooked!!! Its not difficult to tighten some nuts up and replace worn out hoses and EGR's.

Makes me wonder if the mechanic was day dreaming or just didn't know what they were doing. O yea I know the fuel filter was not covered under inspection maintenance but come on, how does that never get replaced.

I do love this car though. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. I got mine 3 months ago (2001, 100k miles) and I am having as much fun learning about its complexities as I am driving it.

My fuel filter was also date coded 2003 so I changed it. I cut it open to take a look. The element was dark brown with dirt (light brown new) but they are such huge filters they must be able to hold a lot of dirt. I didn't notice any WOT or fuel trim improvements with the new one so I suspect the old one was still OK.

The nuts holding my trumpets on were tight but I noticed some of the nyloc nuts were too easy to turn, so I used Loctite on them.

By EGR's, I suppose you mean the two oil separators. There's a lot of discussion on them here. They would be the reason you have the oil film in the intake.

Those separator hoses puzzle me. BMW used high quality elastomers everywhere else, why are the hoses so soft? Since they don't see enough pressure/vacuum to blow them up or collapse them, maybe they designed them to be soft? Just guessing. I don't worry if they are soft as long as they are clean and clear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts