BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Makes no sense to raise the price on parts that are not in high demand :| A good question for EuroCarFan (Tony ) to answer as he is a sponsor for them on here.
All I can say is I am so glad I got mine for much cheaper back in the day.
Just saw this thread as I haven't been on this forum much. I was given the "sponsor" title a while back when I was on here everyday and thought I could help field questions for Eloy and assist in sales but even then, the E60 platform was already mature so most questions have been answered.

Anyway, I actually didn't know the prices went up as I haven't talked to Eloy much either. He did mention his cost of doing business had gone up but it was in a passing conversation. I can ping him to see if he can provide more feedback on this thread.

One thing I would note though is that while no one's happy with the price increase, I think RPI's prices are still very competitive with other vendors out there. I remember when our full catback system was about the price of just an Eisenmann or Dinan section 3.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Just saw this thread as I haven't been on this forum much. I was given the "sponsor" title a while back when I was on here everyday and thought I could help field questions for Eloy and assist in sales but even then, the E60 platform was already mature so most questions have been answered.

Anyway, I actually didn't know the prices went up as I haven't talked to Eloy much either. He did mention his cost of doing business had gone up but it was in a passing conversation. I can ping him to see if he can provide more feedback on this thread.

One thing I would note though is that while no one's happy with the price increase, I think RPI's prices are still very competitive with other vendors out there. I remember when our full catback system was about the price of just an Eisenmann or Dinan section 3.
Tony it has been covered in post #36

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Tony it has been covered in post #36
I saw that and I read what he posted on M5Post. I was going to see if he would elaborate more.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
EuroCarFan said:
I think RPI's prices are still very competitive with other vendors out there. I remember when our full catback system was about the price of just an Eisenmann or Dinan section 3.
IMO RPI WAS a success because it was a "decent" exhaust at a "good" price (comparatively speaking to M5 exhaust mods)... not beacuse it was on the same level of sound/craftsmanship/reputation as Eisenmann and Dinan...which justified why the prices were cheaper than those companies. RPI is trying to put itself in the Eisenmann/Dinan league by pricing it closer to those exhausts. I just don't see it. And at that price point, people that want the BMW nostalgia and OEM feel/performance will go Dinan and people who want great craftsmanship and sound will go Eisenmann.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Hi everyone. One of the things to remember is we hand craft all the exhaust systems here and we are trying to compete with companies that are importing from Asia but still have higher prices than us. Our margins are much less than our competitors. Anyhow, I am doing everything I can to find a solution for the materials as well as our labor contracts so that we can either bring our prices back down or have them similar to what it was at before. In the mean time, we have been working on group buys with many of you at the old price. If you are looking for an exhaust, please give us a call and we will do everything we can to help you out.

·
2,432 Posts
IMO RPI WAS a success because it was a "decent" exhaust at a "good" price (comparatively speaking to M5 exhaust mods)... not beacuse it was on the same level of sound/craftsmanship/reputation as Eisenmann and Dinan...which justified why the prices were cheaper than those companies. RPI is trying to put itself in the Eisenmann/Dinan league by pricing it closer to those exhausts. I just don't see it. And at that price point, people that want the BMW nostalgia and OEM feel/performance will go Dinan and people who want great craftsmanship and sound will go Eisenmann.
You can't compare the product line because our systems have out performed our competitors for years. We also do not stamp mufflers or mass produce them. Each muffler is hand rolled and crafted. I am not sure where the comparison comes from.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Dinan is overpriced on nearly all their products.....not sure why you think they are in a higher league than anyone else's product?? If you think higher pricing correlates to better quality then you are wrong.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Dinan is overpriced on nearly all their products.....not sure why you think they are in a higher league than anyone else's product?? If you think higher pricing correlates to better quality then you are wrong.
at that price point, people that want the BMW nostalgia and OEM feel/performance will go Dinan

Correct oem is also ways more. That's nothing new. And people spending more just for OEM/DINAN is nothing new either.

·
Registered
240 Posts
RPI did have a middleman roll.

on the spectrum of exhaust you have low end to high end

Low end is welfare modded muffler delete, obx, and other trash 500 dollar **** mufflers that belong in a furance

Then mid end you have rpi and not much else. Pretty good quality for the price and good gains and fitment. I'm a fan of their products and run section 1 and 2 with a section 3 eisenmann.

Now they are kind of drifting more towards medium to low high end. You can find new specials sometimes on more unknown top shelf stuff like IPE etc from time to time

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would disagree mid-end is RPI and nothing else - you have magnaflow, borla and Corsa, the latter of which I just purchased because at $1500, it is a fantastic sound at a great price point for an engineered exhaust system. Even that price is foolish for a couple of cans and tips, but I get the R&D and overhead is built into that.

I'm not that old, but I do remember buying an incredibly well built Magnaflow cat back for my '03 Terminator for $700. Added the catted X pipe for another $500. Because that car was blown, I think I saw 25 hp just from the system. Another 25 from the K&N FIPK. Added a smaller pulley and tune and all of a sudden I was over 500 hp. THAT was worth it!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would disagree mid-end is RPI and nothing else - you have magnaflow, borla and Corsa, the latter of which I just purchased because at $1500, it is a fantastic sound at a great price point for an engineered exhaust system. Even that price is foolish for a couple of cans and tips, but I get the R&D and overhead is built into that.

I'm not that old, but I do remember buying an incredibly well built Magnaflow cat back for my '03 Terminator for $700. Added the catted X pipe for another $500. Because that car was blown, I think I saw 25 hp just from the system. Another 25 from the K&N FIPK. Added a smaller pulley and tune and all of a sudden I was over 500 hp. THAT was worth it!!

good job on the Corsa mate. Love mine. Beautiful exotic sound and NO drone. Now on ebay they are fetching like 1600. I scored a brand new one for around 1200 :D

Have you had any issues with the clamps? Mine "snapped" while I was tightening it down before I got to the specific torque setting. I think I have a tiny exhaust leak because of it. Need to see if I can get new clamps or if there are better options out there.

·
2,432 Posts
There isn't a system out there that will out perform our GT and GTS system period. As a business you have to consider the cost, price, labor, time involved with how many of the cars out there. There are not as many M5s out there as there are, lets say, Mustangs. Anyhow, we finished 3 systems today and will be shipping them out for those who are on the waiting list.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
good job on the Corsa mate. Love mine. Beautiful exotic sound and NO drone. Now on ebay they are fetching like 1600. I scored a brand new one for around 1200 :D

Have you had any issues with the clamps? Mine "snapped" while I was tightening it down before I got to the specific torque setting. I think I have a tiny exhaust leak because of it. Need to see if I can get new clamps or if there are better options out there.
Well its being installed this Thursday, had no issues when I ran it on my last E60 M5. My guys will run a bead around the join anyway so the clamps won't be the only thing sealing the two pipes together.

The only minor issue is that the cold start is very loud...i don't mind it, and don't leave my house that early, but i do sort of want to respect my neighbors.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Also i find it funny that higher prices are blamed on material cost and so forth but nobody ever wants to reduce prices or keep them flat because the cost of gas has gone down 75% in the last year.

My landscaper last month told me they are raising prices due to increased material costs...but to fill their mowers, blowers and trimmers with petrol is a fraction of what it used to be...when asked about that, they pass the buck and play stupid.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts