BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Recently I went to my local shop for some service. Normally they do great work and for a fair price. I feel this time was different. I'm going to talk to them on monday, so I would really appreciate your opinions and comments to help me out. Also If no one would tell me that "M5's aren't cheap" that'd be great.
Recently I went to my local shop to get an injector put in and my window regulator installed. (I tried to roll down my frozen window and it snapped on me.) I feel like I got taken. They charged me $200 for an injector, said it took 1.5 hours to diagnose, and almost 5 hours to install. I felt like I got taken because I have seen injectors for about $135. Also I didn't think I was there for that long. To make things worse, after all of it, the check engine light popped back on about an hour after the shop closed.
I also got my window fixed. Luckily I supplied the regulator. I got it off ebay for $50 instead of paying $175 to get it through them. I'm ok with how much it cost because they told me it would take 2 hours. It ended up taking 2.2 hours so nothing to really cry home about. I am upset with the installation. When the window is raised all the way down, it is still sticking up a little. Maybe half an inch. It really bothers me. But should I complain about it or not? I'll post a picture so you can see what I mean. I'm afraid to bring it up with them because I don't want to pay for another 2 hours of labor to fix half an inch.
Here it is:
0213101103a.jpeg
Anyway so that's basically it. If you guys could help me out that would be great.
Overall the bill came out to $992.02. I don't know about you but I think that's outrageous.
-Tyler

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cant comment on the price although that seems like alot. But for that price I'd take it back and make them fix the window for sure.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't have any injector experience, however if my window was like that, I would be taking it in to be fixed. If the regulator was the correct part, they screwed up the repair. I cannot see any reputable shop allowing it to go out like that in any situation. Its clearly not fixed...End of conversation !!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You should definitely take it back, however, be prepared for them to hide behind the "Well, it was that regulator you brought us" excuse. I've replaced a lot of regulators and window motors in recent years and haven't ever had that issue and some of the aftermarket regulators and motors were more than a little cheesy.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should definitely take it back, however, be prepared for them to hide behind the "Well, it was that regulator you brought us" excuse. I've replaced a lot of regulators and window motors in recent years and haven't ever had that issue and some of the aftermarket regulators and motors were more than a little cheesy.
are all e39 regulators the same? or is the one for the M5 different?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
yeah, take it back. They did the install/repair wrong on the regulator. Either they refund you for the job they did wrong and you can take it somewhere else, or they fix it for free.

I'd choose option A (well, I would have done it myself in the first place but...) becasue if they get pissy, they may do a sub-par job.

Bob

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you for that?
I really don't want to say which shop it is because 99% of the time they have been great. And up until this incident I would've highly recommended them. And I don't want to discredit them and discourage other's from using them until we have resolved the issue. Because as of now they don't even know that there is a problem and haven't had a chance to rectify the situation. A little unfair.
-Tyler

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of shops dont like when you provide your own stuff (regarding the regulator). Perhaps that is why they half-arsed it
I was thinking about that. I don't think so because normally they are totally supportive of me supplying the parts if I can find them cheaper because they don't make money off the parts because I get them at cost. And they seemed happy that I found it. But maybe. :dunno:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are you sure that the window regulator was for your car?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
You havent discussed the injector or the check engine light. I will assume you had a SES light to begin with?? What was it? Do you have a Peake? If so, what is the new light? Perhaps they did that install incorrecly too?

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I, like the rest advise you to take it back on Monday. In the future when you have a window problem I advise not only you, but the rest of our M5 comrads to take your window issues to a window shop. I had a similar problem like you did 18 years ago and I learned that its best to stick with the shop that deals with windows all day long. Hope that helped. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
They quote 2 hours, tell you it was really 2.2...and you are thinking maybe you pay for them to now do it right??? What are you, like 19?.

Oh, yeah.... ;)

No, they need to fix it- if the part was wrong, or bad, their responsibility was to tell you and not complete the defective install.

GL

A

·
Registered
836 Posts
Are you sure that the window regulator was for your car?
I am almost 100% sure. They were for an e39 and as far as I know the M5 has the same doors. And even though they did update the e39 I didn't think they changed the doors and window. Can anyone confirm that?

You havent discussed the injector or the check engine light. I will assume you had a SES light to begin with?? What was it? Do you have a Peake? If so, what is the new light? Perhaps they did that install incorrecly too?

Yes, I had the light to begin with since about a month ago. And it's been going on and off. My dad took it in for me and he said that they scanned it and it need a new injector. No I don't have a Peake reader. Maybe I should get one. Usually I haven't needed it because they would just check quickly if the SES light went off and didn't charge me. Although this time they did charge me 1.5 hours to diagnose it. (can't see how it took that long :dunno:) That's what I hope. I think it would be horrible if another problem arose. And I doubt they'll cut me a break if it's a new problem seeing as I'm hopefully going to make them redue everything.

Good Luck
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I, like the rest advise you to take it back on Monday. In the future when you have a window problem I advise not only you, but the rest of our M5 comrads to take your window issues to a window shop. I had a similar problem like you did 18 years ago and I learned that its best to stick with the shop that deals with windows all day long. Hope that helped. Keep us posted.
I considered this at first but I guess I didn't see it as a window problem seeing it wasn't like a broken window or anything to do with the window itself but a mechanism in the door. I also didn't want to risk going to and trying a whole new shop. (I've never had a problem with this shop) Also what do you mean by a window shop? The only thing that comes to mind are shops that do tinting.

They quote 2 hours, tell you it was really 2.2...and you are thinking maybe you pay for them to now do it right??? What are you, like 19?.

Oh, yeah.... ;)

No, they need to fix it- if the part was wrong, or bad, their responsibility was to tell you and not complete the defective install.

GL

A
Haha. Ya... I guess I'm looking for a way to do so without burning any bridges, because I know them on a personal bases and they have really helped me out and given me some great deals in the past. I doubt I'd be able to keep running this car if I had to get everything done at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Unless they take it apart and find the regulator has been fitted incorrectly, there's not a lot they can and will do. You supplied it so they can only fit it to the best of their abilities, so if it is the regulator at fault the additional repair cost will be down to you. Tell them you want to watch them investigate the window regulator, should be fairly easy to see if it has been fitted incorrectly.

Personally I would be more concerned with the engine warning light coming on again compared to the window

cheers

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Let them fix the regulator problem,this is an adjustment issue....

5 hours for changing an injector is a bit too much for my taste!
Plenum off,injector harness away,fuel rail of the bank off,change injector and bolt the whole stuff back together....
Should not take more than 3 hours max!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless they take it apart and find the regulator has been fitted incorrectly, there's not a lot they can and will do. You supplied it so they can only fit it to the best of their abilities, so if it is the regulator at fault the additional repair cost will be down to you. Tell them you want to watch them investigate the window regulator, should be fairly easy to see if it has been fitted incorrectly.

Personally I would be more concerned with the engine warning light coming on again compared to the window

cheers
Although I supplied it, it's the same one that they would've used. It's from BMW. It's not like I went with an aftermarket brand.

Let them fix the regulator problem,this is an adjustment issue....

5 hours for changing an injector is a bit too much for my taste!
Plenum off,injector harness away,fuel rail of the bank off,change injector and bolt the whole stuff back together....
Should not take more than 3 hours max!
Is that the normal time? have you done it before? How long did you take?

Shops that do cracked windshields, side glass, etc.
O ok. I don't know of any in Chicago.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those of you that have replaced an injector or had your shop do it, how long did it take?
-Tyler

1 - 20 of 90 Posts