BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car was off for a couple weeks and i come and jump the car to turn it on, as soon as i turn it on i see a static navigation screen! It took a few jumps to get my E39 M5 to turn on and this is what happened. Has this happened to anyone before or maybe it could be something else!? could this be just because i may have a weak battery or im guessing i totally blew my navigation FML!?

·
Registered
848 Posts
what navigation unit do you have? mk2, mk3, or mk4? ive heard that sometimes jump starting the car will fry the navigation

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daym im really not 100% sure which one i have, production date is 02/2002 i went on realoem but couldnt find where it may say. I just turned my key to on position and nav screen is now static FML

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reload the software. That's what I did and mine is working again. From what I can tell BMW did a horrible job conditioning the power coming into the NAV / radio units. That's why power surges tend to corrupt the memory where the SW is stored.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I'm sure there's been another thread, matey, on this very subject. Yesterday. You're in danger of someone advising the use of the search function ;)

From what I found yesterday looking into advice on the other thread, flat batteries seem to damage the firmware on the nav units. Mine hasn't failed totally, but is not right. I may as well ask here now : would it be an idea to disconnect the nav unit if the battery flattens, and requires jump-started? I don't think now it is the flat battery, it's the jump starting that may cause the damage. The manual does state to turn lots of high-drain accessories on before disconnecting the jump battery to avoid surges, it seems they're aware there may be an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i just burned the V32 software and loaded it onto my car and i wait after a couple minutes, screen is still static :-/ Is this software ok for an 02 M5? I dont know which MK i have but im guessing its the most up to date one since its an 02 model. The directions say i should first go onto Navi mode, how could i do that when my screen is static lol?

·
Registered
848 Posts
you most likely have the mk4, does it say "dvd" on the front of the unit? also v32 is the latest so it shouldve worked.
where in the bay area are you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts