BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The difference is, however, that a Formula 1 racing engine only has to travel 800 kilometres in one racing weekend, whilst the M engine must last the lifetime of the
vehicle, regardless of the climate, traffic situation and style of motoring.”

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lifetime. LOL.

After some MENSA service advisor told me that I didn't need to change my diff or trans oil on my 335 because it was 'lifetime fill', I told him that if I sealed him in a 55 gallon drum he would have a lifetime supply of oxygen. So change the damn fluids!

I got a puzzled look....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or many new owners think they are ready to handle the immediate throttle response of the s85 thus turn off DSC and crash.
Or they had been reading the press release on the amazing , conquering all conditions chassis, drive too fast and crash.

In that case the s85 lasted the lifetime of the car as well, LOL

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Or many new owners think they are ready to handle the immediate throttle response of the s85 thus turn off DSC and crash."

I....might...have, um, spun mine when I first got it...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well.
Turn the DSC off, go to P500 sport mode, and gap it mid corner to, you know, stylishly drift it into your neighborhood.
It'll be immediate enough ;)

Oh, and:
1) Tell the curb I said hi.
2) I know a good wheel repair guy, but get it powdercoated yourself, his coater sux.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
M5 is great because although it has very quick throttle response in 500S, at the same time, it has very linear increase in torque thus the driver can anticipate any loss of traction. I've only lost the rear once and it was cold night and I was on cold tires. I drive in S6/DSC Off all the time when there's no precipitation on the ground.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t have this “immediate” throttle response.
Driving around town on 4 lane roads 45 to 55 mph speed limits in 3rd gear on 2008 6-speed or in 4th gear in my 2006 smg I can squirt through a hole in traffic prior to left lane vigilante next to me being able to down shift to a lower gear with the intent of closing up the gap.
I never see more than a slight bob of their hood before they give up because I am gone in 0.8 sec

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
YES! Lifetime maintenance for early renters/leasees...By definition, when the car 5hits the bed, that's the end of the lifetime.

When I ski-patrolled, the most BS statistic thrown out, was people got hurt on their last run of the day. Well, no fcuking siht! If you critically injure yourself, on your current run, IT WILL BE YOUR LAST RUN of the day.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is what gave me perspective in how fast the throttle response of s85 is:

I test drove a 2015 mustang gt manual, more torque and lighter than m5.
Car and Driver:
“With a six-speed manual sprouting up between the seats, the V-8 makes very short work of the first three gears. The accelerative rush is such that the somewhat cheesy “Ground Speed” label on the speedometer makes some sense, and the needle swings into triple digits very quickly. Zero to 60 mph is accomplished in 4.5 seconds”
Compared to the m5 the mustang was bog slow to respond to throttle inputs, even driving around in 3rd gear it seemed like seconds passed for computer to get out of low emissions/ fuel economy mode and call up 400 lbft of torque .

Not impressed what 10 years of emission improvements has done to throttle response

I don’t have this “immediate” throttle response.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also - the US version was "neutered" (US launch control not the same as Euro) - so they could give a 4yr/50k mile warranty. Euro warranties were 24/24 IIRC...that should tell us something too...

I thought I read this somewhere a long time ago :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The throttle response of an e60 is beautiful!

The talk of zero lag on turbo cars is rubbish
It lags

E60 instantaneous and also very linear

·
Registered
189 Posts
No engine is "lifetime", unless you concede that it will need some wear items replaced. Such an exotic engine certainly should be expected to eat some parts over the life of the car once we start talking decades. If the throttle response on your S85 isn't razor-edge sharp, something is broken...

·
Registered
298 Posts
No engine is "lifetime", unless you concede that it will need some wear items replaced. Such an exotic engine certainly should be expected to eat some parts over the life of the car once we start talking decades. If the throttle response on your S85 isn't razor-edge sharp, something is broken...
Define razor sharp. It is still drive by wire.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Define razor sharp. It is still drive by wire.
First my definition of not razor sharp:any car that defaults to eco mode during level Cruise
Edmunds measured a drive by wire GM 6.2 taking 3.9 seconds to provide any meaningful acceleration

No such issue in M mode on s85, the main reason to have individual throttle plates. instead of much cheaper shared plenum is to get butterfly as close to intake valves as possible, thus a shorter column of intake air to accelerate, that and the high pressure vanos makes the s85 the quickest of the quick in throttle response

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My holley double pumper on a 520hp 406 old school SBC is pretty immediate in throttle response!
The S85 is certainly better than my 6.2L LT1 Camaro SS.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
The difference is, however, that a Formula 1 racing engine only has to travel 800 kilometres in one racing weekend, whilst the M engine must last the lifetime of the
vehicle, regardless of the climate, traffic situation and style of motoring.”

It will last a lifetime if properly maintained, serviced and not abused. Many cars have components with ridiculously short service-life, either based on design or if abused...(think Carrera GT clutches). In such cases the items need to be replaced more often but does not diminish the potential for lifetime enjoyment, if one can afford the expense.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Carrera GT is a strange example to be bringing up heheh... theres like only 300 of those in the US ?

It will last a lifetime if properly maintained, serviced and not abused. Many cars have components with ridiculously short service-life, either based on design or if abused...(think Carrera GT clutches). In such cases the items need to be replaced more often but does not diminish the potential for lifetime enjoyment, if one can afford the expense.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carrera GT is a strange example to be bringing up heheh... theres like only 300 of those in the US ?
It is however a short stroke v-10 similar to s85 but much more cost expended on light weight internals for the ultimate in low rotating inertia design right down to clutch.

It is unfortunate most of us will never experience the scalpel sharp throttle response that design brings.

I have a taste of it in my 6.0 s85 stroker with a rotating assembly claimed to be 28% lighter than stock.

It is quicker than 5.0 to jump at slightest throttle input and makes the smg run through first 4 gears almost quicker than I can instruct my hand to grab the paddle for next gear

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is however a short stroke v-10 similar to s85 but much more cost expended on light weight internals for the ultimate in low rotating inertia design right down to clutch.

It is unfortunate most of us will never experience the scalpel sharp throttle response that design brings.

I have a taste of it in my 6.0 s85 stroker with a rotating assembly claimed to be 28% lighter than stock.

It is quicker than 5.0 to jump at slightest throttle input and makes the smg run through first 4 gears almost quicker than I can instruct my hand to grab the paddle for next gear
sounds crazy and awesome. Tho if i had to spend that kind of money i would maybe try to find a salvaged turbo M5 and transfer both the engine and tranny into the M5... that is if it actually fits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts