·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nick,

I spotted that one too and must say it does look superb - I am a huge fan of the turbines especially with no rear spolier and th correct amber lenses and chrome trim for the model year.

It would be great if a current (or future) board member bought the car and we got to know some more about it as the advert and extensive picture gallery that was linked suggested this was a very well looked after car and the provenance also looked to be excellent with all sorts of nice period touches in the history.

From my previous knowledge of the seller he is a very honest chap to deal with and he does get some terrific cars in stock; although one of the first E34's I viewed was being sold by him and I had to walk away from it after an inspection - although I should add that the price was very reasonable for a late 3.8 car and considerably lower than this 3.5. I don;t think you could compare the two anyway as the condition and history of this car look to be much better in every respect.

Duncan

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Did anyone spot it when she was last for sale 6 months ago ?

Looks a lovely car and seems to represent the fact that good examples are beginning to become fewer and further between !

Congratulations to the lucky new owner !

D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A very nice example. It's great to see a good 3.6 as they are getting thin on the ground now. Also good that it didn't take long to sell, it seems that at last values are on the up for good cars.

·
Registered
375 Posts
David, was it a private sale 6 months ago? Always intriguing how these apparently excellent cars end up with traders when not seen on the open market - can't remember seeing it before so would be interesting to know the circumstances of a previous sale; asking price etc. Was it looking as good back then or has it been nicely prepped for these photos by a detailer?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nice looking example and good once again
to see prices firming up.

If it were mine I'd retrim the front seat supports back
to standard & hunt for a genuine gear knob.

Then...enjoy it !

:)

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
388 Posts
It is a nice example.

I see it has been serviced at Sycamores and then TWG. TWG are absolutely useless at servicing BMW M5's as i left them mine and 3 times it went back in to fix the faults they created when changing the rear bushes on mine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
BEWARE - this car has had a total respray - so is far from "time warp" :3:

It was on eBay about a year ago, the plate then was shown as "V FL1X" (VFL 1X). I spoke extensively to the seller, was put off by the lack of originality of the paintwork.

The seller was willing to stop the auction and sell for around £4800, it ended up making around £5500 if memory serves.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good info David....I hope the buyer was able to spot this for themselves.....quite naughty it wasn't highlighted in the advet but suppose benefit of the doubt to the seller without knowing the full facts.

The 3.8 that I viewed from the same seller several years ago had been very poorly and quickly painted with runs on most panels although it looked superb in the pictures and from about 10 feet away... On it's own I don;t mind that but it wasn't disclosed in the advert which I guess would also be the issue here.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It was on eBay about a year ago, the plate then was shown as "V FL1X" (VFL 1X). I spoke extensively to the seller, was put off by the lack of originality of the paintwork.
This plate is now on an E90 touring and the car belongs to Balderston BMW Motorrad Dealership.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
In fairness , this particular E34 M5 has always been tidy , even when it was advertised in Nov 07 with 119t miles and 1 previous owner .

The seller presented the car well and may have made an error of omission ........ whether or not omission could be construed as misrepresentation is open to debate .

It appears that someone has bought a tidy , 2 previous owner , M5 that has been painted .

Hopefully , he'll join us on here .

D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I would not condemn a car because it has had a total respray.

If the job has been done properly then it's a bonus. I don't think the car has been misrepresented, it clearly states it has 127,000 miles. It is a well used example and was not asking stupid money.

Try and restore one for £6995.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I do hope the car is as nice as a couple of you think, personally I'm always wary of stuff that's had work and will always take an original car - that way I know exactly what's gone on with it. Anyway, I would assume it's pretty damn obvious in the flesh that the car's been sprayed as it's simply too good.

Interesting someone spotted the seat front bolsters, I recall one had damage and with the correct material being hens' teeth they were both recovered in leather, not a bad bit of bodging.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Noticed this car advertised for sale again - buyer didn't show apparently.

Still a nice example of course; just not as original as the advert implies based upon the information imparted above.

Hopefully she goes to a good home! :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Duncan,

Interesting that the car is now back on the market again.

Obviously, an original car with good factory paintwork will always be preferable to a restored example. The reality is that the E34 M5 (especially the 3.6's) are now getting old and we will see more and more restorations in the coming years. I don't believe there should be a stigma attached to a car that has been painted/restored to a good standard.

Although I have not seen the black car in the flesh, it does look lovely, and I think it is a good thing that some of the early survivors are now being brought back to their 1990 glory days without tacky mods.

Most E9 CSL's have now undergone restoration of some sort, it doesn't effect their desirability today with prices going through the roof. In the next ten years as prices firm up, repainted/restored e34 m5's will become an acceptable norm.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nick, I quite agree. My own car has had paint already and I intend a complete respray at some point too - it's 20 years old nearly and obviously and I know I don't look as good as I did two decades ago either!!

Looking at the E30 M3 there are likely to be relatively few cars on entirely original paint yet any restoration seems to hardly dent their value so long as done to a professional, high quality standard. As you say, I think this will become commonplace with most E34's too albeit their values may never soar in the way the E30 has with it's competition pedigree.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think that it is inevitable that these cars are going to get painted. If you drive them, and lets face it , most of them get driven, then they are going to get stone chips, the bottom of the doors/jacking points/lower wings are going to get rusty etc, etc. The only way to keep really good original factory paint is to leave your car in the garage.

I would have absolutely no issue with buying a car that has been painted to a high standard, in fact for me it would be preferable. I want to drive my car and if the paint was original and blemish free I'd be terrified to take it out! Now if I get a stone chip or some git keys the car I can just repaint it and move on.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts