BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the thermostat on hdhntr23's Beast today. Too bad he had to work, or I would have watched him do it! Oh well, not too bad, just under 2 hours. Would have been less if I wasn't getting text messages every 5 minutes.....

Thank you to DouglasABaker for some helpful advice.

Thermostat

Thermostat housing removed

Here you can see 3 of the 4 O rings that should be replaced. The other is a tube that goes inbetween them, it has 2 Orings on it, one on each end.

The before mentioned tube is here in the middle. Remove it and replace the 2 Orings. I then put the tube on the thermostat housing for the reinstall.

New thermostat installed

Some of the old radiator fluid

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the PICS and advice.
Inside 2 hours of your time equates to 2 six packs of your favorite brew in return.!
Where did you buy the new thermostat - BMW dealer or other - how much where the parts?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Did you also replace the temp sensor? Curious - I didn't, now I'm thinking I should have for preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Thanks for the PICS and advice.
Inside 2 hours of your time equates to 2 six packs of your favorite brew in return.!
Where did you buy the new thermostat - BMW dealer or other - how much where the parts?

Parts were about $230. I bought them at the dealer. Thats not including the lap dances and meals Im going to have to buy Tim on the 17th. That DOES however include about 3 sets of O rings in case any ripped.

Did you also replace the temp sensor? Curious - I didn't, now I'm thinking I should have for preventative maintenance.
Yes the top temp sensor was replaced too. That part total was including the sensor. If I hadnt already, I wouldve also replaced the lower temp sensor, near the bottom of the radiator.

Yeah I had to work, and Tim's schedule got changed, it originally was planned for me to do it with him YESTERDAY, so to make up for it, Im going to go up there tomorrow and help with yet another clutch install!!!! Id say my full day off tomorrow will make up for not taking a half day yesterday.

For real Tim thanks! You are SO the MAN.

Lap dances on me bro!!! Err wait... Ill BUY lap dances hahaha.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe hdhntr23 and I have the same SES fault code which is "low temp". Mine comes up every few days and then seems to reset on warm 80 deg ++ days in central Ohio. Last winter it stayed on from November to March. Temp gauge hangs out at about 11 o'clock on the dial. Plenty of threads on the topic but very few replacement with "pics". So, thanks goes out to tim for keeping us current on DIY's.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Thanks for the pics and DIY!
Great that we have on the board more and more DIY with pics!:goldcup:
Used for the O-rings Hylomar sealant just to make sure I don't run in any leaking issues with it.

Changed my waterpump and thermostate a few month ago and forgot to take pics...

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The code I was getting on the Peake was a 69 (hehehe I typed 69)... anyway thats "coolant temperature implausibility". It wasnt for PM, this job isnt one of those that one would do JUST for PM. Maybe replacing your sensors but not the T-Stat.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
As crazy as it sounds it drives much smoother than it did before. Nice strong pull even steady acceleration.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What was the parts list? $230 bucks for a $20 thermostat and $2 worth of O-rings is a bit steep. I know BMW parts tend to be on the expensive side, but come on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What was the parts list? $230 bucks for a $20 thermostat and $2 worth of O-rings is a bit steep. I know BMW parts tend to be on the expensive side, but come on.

look at that t-stat - looks way different then any "normal" one

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 Waterpump - Thermostat

books for ~145 bucks, holy crap!

and the o-ring on it must be made out of unicorn horn @ 47bux

temp ensor is a 25 dollar part, not too bad

+ all the misc orings

the t-stat is really what gets expensive, yikes

tischer comes out to about 160 bucks + coolant

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
look at that t-stat - looks way different then any "normal" one

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 Waterpump - Thermostat

books for ~145 bucks, holy crap!

and the o-ring on it must be made out of unicorn horn @ 47bux

temp ensor is a 25 dollar part, not too bad

+ all the misc orings

the t-stat is really what gets expensive, yikes

tischer comes out to about 160 bucks + coolant
Wouldnt lie bro. I can send you a scanned in copy of my receipt if youd like?

That was including my 20% discount that I get for knowing the parts guy. I get the same prices as Tischer minus the shipping.

Dont forget your gallon jug of DISTILLED water!!!

Tongboy, thats about right. Some people do the water pump too, imagine the costs then? Also the bottom sensor is another $22ish, but as I said earlier I had already replaced that chasing down my Peake code.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Oh and the big O ring that goes inside the T-Stat housing, its made of a wicked hard plastic/rubber on top of a metal ring. I saw the carnage on Friday @ my boy Tim's house and the old one had to be ripped out with pliers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm really not surprised at the cost, but I still think it ridiculous. I noticed the T-stat was relatively huge, and weird compared to most others I've ever seen. But we gotta pay to play, right?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'm really not surprised at the cost, but I still think it ridiculous. I noticed the T-stat was relatively huge, and weird compared to most others I've ever seen. But we gotta pay to play, right?
The t'stat is strange b/c it's designed so that if it fails, it sticks open instead of closed. Obviously as between the two failure modes the one chosen by BMW is the better, as there's less chance of being stuck somewhere and/or suffering immediate engine failure dut to "stuck closed" overheating. The other thing about the cooling system, which may also account for the "strange" design, is that the coolant flow (I think) runs the cooled coolant through the heads first, rather than in many systems where the cooled coolant runs first through the block. The advantage is that the heads are cooled more efficiently, leading to more power.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh and the big O ring that goes inside the T-Stat housing, its made of a wicked hard plastic/rubber on top of a metal ring. I saw the carnage on Friday @ my boy Tim's house and the old one had to be ripped out with pliers.
If you remove sensor from Thermostat housing it can be pushed out thru that hole (long screwdriver and hammer). Worked for me

1 - 20 of 555 Posts