BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,guys,wanna document in this thread the build of my M5(which turns out to be more and more a restoration project).

I blew up last september my head gasket,as some of you might remember...

It was soon for me pretty clear that rather than a quick fix,I will take the chance to fully rebuild and modify the engine.
The specs will be balance and blue printed rods and crank,modified cylinder heads(of course fully rebuild with new guides,seals and bolts),CP pistons with Darton sleeves,modified throttle bodies.

Every single gasket and O-ring will be replaced,as well as all chains,tensioners,sensors(CPS were done 10k ago,new TPS,all temp and pressure sensors replaced during build).Waterpump and t-stat replaced already 12k ago.
All belts,tensioners,idler pulleys and pulley for waterpump and p/s pump were earlier replaced already.

All vaccum hoses will be replaced.

Throttle motor is sent away for rebuild.

Idle control valve ultrasonic cleaned.

Alternator rebuilt.

Vanos units get a rebuild.Got a killer deal on two new solenoid boards and pressure accumulator from a BMW dealer that quit,so these go in as well.

Gulf oil filter housing and oil cooler are waiting for installation.

One of two boxes random new engine parts...

On the exhaust side,a full Evolve system with headers,cats and backboxes will find its way under the car(needless to say,all mounting bushes and bolts are new).

Fuel pump,fuel filter,EKP module and relays as well as the vacuum hoses to the regulator were changed not so long ago.A new pressure regulator is ordered.
The injectors go for cleaning and flow matching,cylinder 3 and 4 will be replaced with new ones due to the head gasket problem.

Plenum gets all gaskets new.

Crank case breathing will be replaced with a vacuum pump system(THANK YOU,Peter).

Most of the suspension stuff was already replaced in spring(Bilstein PSS9 coil overs with new unibal mounts front and stock mounts rear,upper and lower control arms front,sway bar links and bushes front and rear,control arms rear axle,sway bar brackets rear with E36 M3 parts,wheel bearings front).
Also a nice CF strut bar from Evolve that Sal brought along(THANK you,mate!)

Rear subframe bushes go in,wheels bearings rear get replaced,subframe reinforced.Diff mounts were changed already earlier.

All engine and gearbox mounts are new.

Prop shaft has new guibo,center bearing,guide bush.

All shifter bushings and joints are replaced.

Visco fan was replaced with a electric unit.

Differential was replaced with a Drexler unit,all bearings and seals replaced.

Also most steering stuff(tie rods,idler arm bushing,center tie rod,new power steering hoses).
Now a rebuilt power steering pump will be installed(thanks for that present,Sal!!!!!!!!)with a new fluid container and a cooler.

Brakes in the front are replaced with a used(but fully rebuild) AP racing brake kit.

Rear brakes get Cayenne Turbo calipers(rebuild) and all hoses braided.

The body had some issues with dents,scratches and rust.All dents and rust will be removed and primered(driver side and rear done already)

Pretty soon I made the decision that a full repaint is not an option,I rather spend the money on wheels and a matte black wrap.
Pictures show driver side with wider rear quarter panel,new headlight lists,mirror housing(what a BLOODY PAIN!) and front license plate(thanks burnout 187) bracket wrapped.

I wanted to go with wider wheels than stock(10x19 Hamann HM2s all around),so the fenders are rolled,shaped with lead,fillered and primed.

Front:

Tools used:

Schmiedmann delivered a new CF bonnet(which is installed with M3 dampers,new upper and lower locks,cables and new windshield washers)

My breaker donors the alcantara head liner.Not sure yet when I install it,as next winter I want to have a nice CF roof and somehow do not want to remove the headliner twice...

For the money spent on that car,I guess I could buy another nice 2003 M5:grinyes:
Thank god I do not charge myself labor costs,this would be another M5....hihahiha

I will update this thread with more pics of the progress.

A huge thanks to Sal from Evolve and Toni from Schmiedmann Finland,who support me with hardware during the project.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice work, I wish you a lot of patience and effort. Greets from your neighbors ;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Awesome Raikku! This will be an awesome build! Are you planning to S/C? I assume that it why you went the balanced and blueprinted route.

How do I get one of those rebuilt P/S pumps??

Reactions: vantaam5

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I made the decision that a full repaint is not an option,I rather spend the money on wheels and a matte black wrap.
Truly prudent, always putting the Go before the Show!

I wanted to go with wider wheels than stock(10x19 Hamann HM2s all around),so the fenders are rolled,shaped with lead,fillered and primed.
Can we foretell massive power gain is a matter of certain eventuality? :biggrin:

As with any Raikku threads, subscribed and bookmarked immediately.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yo Raikku,

Let me know if you need any parts, or find any in the UK, that you need me to go and secure or anything like that !

Good Luck

Kumaran

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Good stuff, Raikku. The bodywork and matte wrap is looking great! I know the mechanicals will be top notch as well. Good luck and thanks for taking the time to document and take us through your journey.

·
Registered
585 Posts
big big props mate alot of work money time but dedicated to the cause
oneday i would love to rebuild mine but shes hanging in there just now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I am starting to think you blew your head gasket intentionally :haha:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind words,gents!

This engine will not be s/c(got another one for that matter) .I think it will well play in the 470+hp area,but we will see...

Peter,this is all pretty harmless compared to what you have been through:cheers:

Kumaran,thanks for the offer,I might need some stuff..

And just for the records,I did not blow my head gasket on purpose.

But some say,it was a good excuse to get these things started!:haha:

My progress this evening was to clean and rebuild one Vanos unit.

Before(new solenoids in the top of the pic):

After:

First pistons,gears and oil pump removed,then cleaned with brush,Diesel,brake cleaner and compressed air

Then spent almost an hour cleaning the unit with a 3M pad to remove all the oxidation it had....

Cleaned it again,replaced O-rings,oil pump bearing,oil pump washer and replaced the locking ring with the updated version(which makes destroying the washer and the timing chain eating its bits less likely)...

Tomorrow I pull the engine and put a dummy block with heads in the car to mark up some stuff while I rebuild the original engine.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Progress of today:

-original engine removed and dummy engine installed with the help of mailman(THANKS!)

-cam sprockets cleaned

-bank 2 upper chain cover cleaned

Forgot the memory card for the camera today,so update tomorrow with pics.

Tomorrow's task is cleaning the engine,disassembling the heads and installing driver side trims,mirror and door card.
Then push the car out and start on thursday with mailman to replace chain guides and rebuild Vanos on his car.

Maybe i even find a bit time tomorrow to take some of the aluminium parts for glass-pearl blasting...

1 - 20 of 526 Posts