BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents - looking for thoughts on likely issue that just popped up with my 93 us spec M5. When adjusting fan speed inside cabin there is no air coming out of vents until I select position #4. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, when you say no air until position 4 do you mean that there is no fan noise either?
If so sounds like an issue with the fan resistors. In positions 1,2 & 3 the power goes through a resistor to drop the speed but on position 4 it is straight through at full battery voltage.
Might need to replace item 2 on this....
RealOEM.com   BMW E34 M5 3.8 ELECTRIC PARTS FOR HEATER

Or you might be lucky and find a loose connection!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, when you say no air until position 4 do you mean that there is no fan noise either?
If so sounds like an issue with the fan resistors. In positions 1,2 & 3 the power goes through a resistor to drop the speed but on position 4 it is straight through at full battery voltage.
Might need to replace item 2 on this....
RealOEM.com Â* BMW E34 M5 3.8 ELECTRIC PARTS FOR HEATER

Or you might be lucky and find a loose connection!

Hope that helps.
The issue is as you described above...so thank you!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
This will probably be the resistor or maybe the switch itself but thats unlikely. Its best to replace the resistor and fan at the same time becuz a bad fan can destroy the resistor and same the other way around. Much fans come with a new resistor but i dont think its the case here. I think the fan and resistor are different between the normal system u have and the automatic AC system. Maybe somebody else can tell u more about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts