BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change my current M5 E39, to a E60. I am looking to buy a used one from a dealer (with BMW warranty) and have read about the warranty being invalid if too many launches have been done.

So when buying a used M5 how do you know how many launch have currently been done? :byee55amg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Funny, I was at my BMW dealership today and was discussing "launch" with my Service Advisor - and I trust and value this guys opinion as he is a former mechanic and now a SA. He told me that you can do 10 launch's (which I didn't know) and then you have to take it back to the dealer to get it reset. That way BMW will know how many you have done so if there are transmission issues (or other issues) down the road then BMW will be aware of it. Doesn't really VOID the warranty per se. He also said it is extremely hard on the car.

Sorry, just realized that you are UK and the launch is different for you guys.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
thats total bs !!

i know simply cause i've done well over 25 lc's in my 2 yrs !!

·
1,764 Posts
Try this sequence to get into the iDrive service mode which has several menus, perhaps one of them has this information:

1. From the main menu display, press the controller down for minimum 6 seconds.
2. Turn the controller 3 increments clockwise (to the right).
3. Turn the controller 3 increments counter-clockwise (to the left).
4. Turn controller 1 increment clockwise (right).
5. Turn controller 1 increment counter-clockwise (left).
6. Turn controller 1 increment clockwise (right).
7. Push down on the controller.
8. To exit the service mode, select the return arrow at the bottom on the left of the screen.

:cheers:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Try this sequence to get into the iDrive service mode which has several menus, perhaps one of them has this information:

8. To exit the service mode, select the return arrow at the bottom on the left of the screen.

Sounds like your cracking into a safe :1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Thank you, I will try this :typing:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cant see anything in here guys for the launch control. How do you access the 'prev / next' buttons on the bottom of the screen?

Ok post updated. I done all of the above and got into the hidden menus. As I said above, on the bottom of the blue screen that comes up there is a 'prev / next' selection but I cannot suss out how to select them. The i-drive wont seem to highlight them.

Any ideas ?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Okay, I followed the thread but (not to sound like an idiot) what am I looking for that shows the number of launches?

Actually, I thought the question I was answering was on how to get to the Prev and Next buttons - you can't except on one screen.

As to whether Launch count is on those maintenance screens is for someone much more in-the-know than me.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
He told me that you can do 10 launch's (which I didn't know) and then you have to take it back to the dealer to get it reset.
Not true. I have done several back to back launches and other than the car NOT letting me launch until a set of parameters were met (probably allowing it to cool somewhat) and at least 20 in the life of the car, there is nothing restricting multiple launches other than the brain of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts