BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to be taking care of the beast this weekend. The car has practically zero swirl marks. Going go run through the following. What do you guys think?

1. Wash & Dry
2. Clay (Meguiars)
3. Menzerna Nano Polish --> White Pad Light Cut (Orbital Buffer)
4. Klasse AIO (Hand Apply)
5. Klasse SG (Hand Apply)
6. 24 hour Curing Period for Klasse SG
7. Poor Boys Natty Blue Wax Paste (Hand Apply)
8. Quick Detailer to take care of remaining residue

Thinking of replacing step 4 & 5 with Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant. Good or Bad?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'd do something more aggressive than Nano... unless the surface is PERFECT now. Nano should be used after you've removed any other microscratches...it is only to transition from slightly hazy finish you get after, say, Menzerna SIP.

So I'd add Menzerna SIP with an orange pad prior to #3.

It will make the nano step a real quick process....

Not a fan of waxes, prefer Zaino... but it doesn't much matter, it is all the prep that counts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd do something more aggressive than Nano... unless the surface is PERFECT now. Nano should be used after you've removed any other microscratches...it is only to transition from slightly hazy finish you get after, say, Menzerna SIP.

So I'd add Menzerna SIP with an orange pad prior to #3.

It will make the nano step a real quick process....

Not a fan of waxes, prefer Zaino... but it doesn't much matter, it is all the prep that counts.
Thanks for the feedback. The reason I am shying away from SIP is because the paint is as close to flawless condition as possible. Based on this and the fact that Nano does have cutting power I decided not to invest in SIP. Unless I am assuming something that is wrong?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
No, if it is flawless then nano is fine.

nano has very, very little cut.

Have you stripped off all the old wax and evaluated the paint for swirls/microscratches? I've rarely seen a car that has perfect paint once all the coatings are stripped....

Flawless paint is on cars that a) haven't been driven and b)whenever washed are rinsed with DI water and air dried.

A

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds good - please post some pics when you're done

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I am going to be taking care of the beast this weekend. The car has practically zero swirl marks. Going go run through the following. What do you guys think?

1. Wash & Dry
2. Clay (Meguiars)
3. Menzerna Nano Polish --> White Pad Light Cut (Orbital Buffer)
4. Klasse AIO (Hand Apply)
5. Klasse SG (Hand Apply)
6. 24 hour Curing Period for Klasse SG
7. Poor Boys Natty Blue Wax Paste (Hand Apply)
8. Quick Detailer to take care of remaining residue

Thinking of replacing step 4 & 5 with Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant. Good or Bad?
Though I've not used #21, I've heard great things about it. Basically, that its a better version of NXT.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love AIO. It's so easy to put on and take off, leaves the car smoooooth. SG is a PITA.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Menzerna Nano Polish is the same thing as PO106FF, right? If so, I'm really interested to hear how it works out. You plan is pretty close to mine except I'm not fortunate enough to have flawless paint, so my step 3 will be an additional Menzerna SIP step. I'll also use Pinnacle Souveran as my LSP. Can't wait to hear the results!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
sound like a good plan.

I would also have Menzerna IP handy just in case.

But in my opinion nano polish would be as abbrasive as IP. The reason being is that nano polish is designed for newer car which has harder and more scratch resistat nona clear coat (the one used on Mercedes and Rolls Royce manufactured by BASF I think).

Potentially you could have very little or more cutting power depending on the pad you're using.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Guys if your cars are close to perfect, i highly recommend Zaino AIO ( Ira from http://lazaino.com/ recommended me this and bought it to include it in my arsenal:hihi:) and I am very impress with the result that now i use it on the wheels too...just make sure you use the Zaino AIO and top it off with either Z5/Z2...this will save you guys alot of time and I am sure will be very happy with the result...

Here is my recommendation for the weekend warrior...
1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay
4. Wash (yes i normally wash the car again to take some of the residue that might cause scratches)
5. Zaino AIO (if you want a little bit more aggressive in cutting but safe on paint use ZPC)
6. Z5 (1 or 3 coats)
7. Z6 spray (in between coats of Zaino)
8. Z2 (1-3 coats)

this is just a suggestion for everybody...now when i detail a car I mainly do all the steps and alot of times add more product or use a different product that will work with Zaino and probably do 5 coats of each Z5 and Z2 depending on the customers needs/ wants...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I love AIO. It's so easy to put on and take off, leaves the car smoooooth. SG is a PITA.
Absolutely agree. After 8 years of owning my beast, I've tried others - Klasse AIO is the easiest. Cleans and protects - easiest on and off.

It may not protect as well as others but, I "wax" my car every two months or so - never used a clay bar and all the other stuff and my car looks great.

Of course, my car is Silverstone metallic and it does not show scratches like CB or the darker colors so, maybe the orbitals and clay bars are necessary - I just have never needed them I guess.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
that's a good idea if you don't hav alot of work (scratches/ defects) to work on your car...
SG is such a PITA that i'm thinking of going from AIO to wax.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

I recently did the following in order and really took my time:

1) Complete Wash
2) Mothers Clay
3) Quick Wash
4) Mothers Cleaner Wax
5) Mothers Reflections Polymer Wax
6) Mothers Spray Wax Quick Detailer

I've done this before, and the results are really awesome!...but I am wondering if the products you guys are talking about are superior and if so, why?

Also, do you guys put multiple coats of wax or is it kind of pointless once you really have the car super clean and waxed up already.

I've used Zaino before on another car and the results were great too, but I have always used Mothers products on my M5...I guess just because I know they work very well and are easy to pick up at the local Pep Boys.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
For the color of your Car Zaino FTW, not because i like Zaino, it's because Zaino works very and last longer...you can also do multiple coats on it with no proble...try zaino on your car one of these days so you can compare it with mothers (another good product btw)...

Just out of curiosity...

1) Complete Wash
2) Mothers Clay
3) Quick Wash
4) Mothers Cleaner Wax

I've done this before, and the results are really awesome!...but I am wondering if the products you guys are talking about are superior and if so, why?

Also, do you guys put multiple coats of wax or is it kind of pointless once you really have the car super clean and waxed up already.

I've used Zaino before on another car and the results were great too, but I have always used Mothers products on my M5...I guess just because I know they work very well and are easy to pick up at the local Pep Boys.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

1) Complete Wash
2) Mothers Clay
3) Quick Wash
4) Mothers Cleaner Wax

Why do you need to do #3? When I clay, I just use Quik Detailer as lube, wipe it right off, and then use Klass AIO right on top of it. As I mentioned above, I like AIO because it's wipe on, wipe off (not scrub off). I also use P21S (S100) wax because it comes off very easy and gives the car a nice shine. If you really want to get serious about detailing, checkout http://autopia.org/forum. I haven't been there in ages, but those guys are OCD when it comes to detailing. They'll AIO and SG 18 times and then wax another 10 times (ok i'm exaggerating...sort of). Back in 2000-2003, I'd wash and wax my car monthly. Now that it's 8yrs old and I have a baby at home, I wax maybe once every 6-12 months :) But once I clay and AIO, the beast is once again SMOOOOOOOTH.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Why do you need to do #3? When I clay, I just use Quik Detailer as lube, wipe it right off, .
Good point.

I use a very heavy soap (car wash soap) solution in a spray bottle as lube- so when I am done with the whole car I just rinse all the soap off.... another wash of sorts.

Then polish as required, or direct to Zaino.

A

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I do #3 because when it comes to detailing i have OCD...and yes you can skip this step...:cheers:
Good point.

I use a very heavy soap (car wash soap) solution in a spray bottle as lube- so when I am done with the whole car I just rinse all the soap off.... another wash of sorts.

Then polish as required, or direct to Zaino.

A

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wash, Clay while still wet to save time, dry, po106ff, Sealant of your choice, and Natty's RED not blue (blue is for darker cars)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah my step # 3 quick wash after clay is pretty unnecessary...I just do it to have a completely clean and dry car and then start the waxing. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts