BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love keeping blackie in show room condition even when it's just sitting in the garage. Makes me excited just looking at it, like the time I first layed eyes on it! As soon as it's taken out of the garage it gets all dusty and then full of bugs on its arrival back to its lair. I've used detailing spray 3 days in a row once. In my area there are also strict water restrictions. What do you yall suggest as to how often it can be used? :dunno:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Meguiars and griots garage are good quick detailer and you can use it as often as you want but only for light dust on the car...just make sure that you mist the paint well to lift of light dust and wipe off gently...

I just love keeping blackie in show room condition even when it's just sitting in the garage. Makes me excited just looking at it, like the time I first layed eyes on it! As soon as it's taken out of the garage it gets all dusty and then full of bugs on its arrival back to its lair. I've used detailing spray 3 days in a row once. In my area there are also strict water restrictions. What do you yall suggest as to how often it can be used? :dunno:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meguiars and griots garage are good quick detailer and you can use it as often as you want but only for light dust on the car...just make sure that you mist the paint well to lift of light dust and wipe off gently...
Meguiars is the I use in fact. The car isn't an everyday car so it doesn't get too dirty other than the wheels but thanks for replying! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My gas station has a vendor that sells some kind of miracle can for about $10 a can! They offer demonstrations of how it washes your car without water and works on every surface including rubber, glass, wheels, and exhaust. It does seem to work really good but I would never use it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use 100% damp cotton towel, moving it frequently to pull dirt & dust. I'll use Honda spray polish to go over and take the water spots off of it. Wipe, and ready.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
If you're on water restrictions (even if you're not), get some Optimum No-Rinse (ONR). I've been a car fanatic for 35 years or more, and I thought this stuff was a joke prior to seeing how well it worked and then trying it myself.

You need a bucket, 2 gallons of water, 1 small and 1 large microfiber towel, and 2 capfuls of ONR (I usually use 3-4 capfuls in 2 gallons). Follow the directions, and the car will look beautiful when you're done with no scratches. The surface will be glossy and smooth.

Also, my detailer just recently went berserk after I told him about ONR (he’s been detailing for more than 20 years, and he thought I was crazy when I told him about it), but after he tried it, he loves it. He talked with Optimum Polymer Technologies, and they sent him some trial packs of their products. He recently did my M5 and finished it off with Optimum Poli-Seal, and this stuff is incredible. I had previously only used Zaino Z2 or Z5, but Poli-Seal seems even better than Zaino to me. The flake in the LeMans Blue paint just leaps out at you it seems. The surface is incredibly smooth. Good stuff.

On Optimum's web site, Optimum Car Products, they have the 32oz bottle of ONR, but I buy it in gallon sizes through Amazon (think it is Palm Beach Motoring Accessories).

Chuck

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I use the Meguiars quick detailer 8 times out of 10. Even if the car is really dirty - I just use more microfiber cloths.
I buy the gallon size Meguiars "professional" series detailer spray and just refill the Meguiars spray bottle -- works out much cheaper. Also, I've found their professional series All Purpose Cleaner and Super Degreaser to be great products. You mix them to the dilution you want for the job at hand, and they are mild (i.e. no VOCs) yet very powerful at cleaning. APC is useful for just about anything while SD will take apart any nasty cleaning job like a dirty differential housing, engine, etc. It leaves no white residue behind like some degreasers do. Good stuff. Here's the link.

Chuck

·
Registered
939 Posts
I buy the gallon size Meguiars "professional" series detailer spray and just refill the Meguiars spray bottle -- works out much cheaper. Also, I've found their professional series All Purpose Cleaner and Super Degreaser to be great products. You mix them to the dilution you want for the job at hand, and they are mild (i.e. no VOCs) yet very powerful at cleaning. APC is useful for just about anything while SD will take apart any nasty cleaning job like a dirty differential housing, engine, etc. It leaves no white residue behind like some degreasers do. Good stuff. Here's the link.

Chuck
+1

I went with Meguiars APC, SD, and their Last Detail sprays all in gallon size. They do work very well. I got one of their extra spray bottles and diluted the Last Detail and use it as a clay lube as well. The gallon will last for a long time, at least that is what I figure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only thing with a detail spray is that you just wipe with a MF towel, there is always the risk of catching a particle and then dragging it on the paint. I would say use liberally, apply very little pressure. The better condition your car's paint is in (wax, sealant, contaminants, etc) the less risky using detail spray frequently is.

Still nothing beats a quick wash with a foam gun, hand dry with detail spray and a drying towel - 15-20 minutes for the best clean with the least risk of swirls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been detailing cars since I was 16. No matter how good and slick a quick detailing spray is there's no avoiding the fact that you're taking dirt and rubbing it over your clear coat. That's why every detailer will tell you to spray the car down well before you even start washing. Now how good the microfiber towel you are using and the spray does make a difference. For example using a Cobra supreme microfiber cloth will be much safer then one of the Walmart cloths, as it will trap more dirt inside the cloth with out pressing it against the clear coat.

Having said all that, quick spray detailers have their place for water spots removal, and very light dust, you clean the dust off with one cloth by wiping it over the sprayed area gently, then you buff it out with another completely clean cloth. But I would never use it to clean a car that has accumulated more then just very light dust, unless you like swirl marks that is; at that point you're better leaving it alone till you can wash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts