BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on buying buffer and pads along with wax and sealants. I am tired of paying someone to do detailing while those money can be spent on those supplies and do myself.

I have been talking to Mzarif about those stuff as he is helping me out to pick out the ones I need. I wanted to know your opinions as well. I am looking to keep everything under $200, $150 preferable.

I plan on doing the details on my cars and couple other cars here and there in future.

-6 In. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher (harbor freight)
-6 In. Compound/Cutting Foam Pad (orange pads) - 2x pads (harbor freight)
-Optimum Hyper Polish Spray (amazon)
-Meguiar's DMF6 6" DA Microfiber Finishing Disc, set of 2 (amazon)
-Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz (amazon)
-probably should add some clay bar kits to clean out all small stuff on the paint.

I already have in my garage
- one medium cutting pad
- a bottle of meguiars mirror glaze fine cut (medium cut)
-and few other waxes.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'd also add No Rinse Wash and Shine to your list for your weekly/bi-weekly car washes. Wash a panel of the car, then wipe the panel off with a clean micro fiber cloth.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably will end up doing bi weekly thing afterwards unless its that dirty.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
List looks good to start. Just make sure you have compound in case you get bad scratches or holograms and multiple levels of polishers. A good go over with the orange pad and finishing pad with a sealer should keep your paint in good shape to only do waterless washes/details for six months or so depending on environment.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
-6 In. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher (harbor freight) - OK, but check for a Porter Cable on Amazon before jumping on this one.

-6 In. Compound/Cutting Foam Pad (orange pads) - 2x pads (harbor freight) - NO. Skip these and get microfiber cutting pads. Get the ones with the burgundy foam. Also get 3" cutting pads and a 3" adapter for when you need a bit more precision. Get the yellow ones for light buffing, but the microfiber ones are much better for paint correction.

-Optimum Hyper Polish Spray (amazon) - Give it a shot if you'd like. What's your goal with this item?

-Meguiar's DMF6 6" DA Microfiber Finishing Disc, set of 2 (amazon) - Should be fine, though not familiar with it.

-Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz (amazon)

-probably should add some clay bar kits to clean out all small stuff on the paint. You must absolutely clay the car before polishing.

I already have in my garage
- one medium cutting pad
- a bottle of meguiars mirror glaze fine cut (medium cut)
-and few other waxes.

I use the Cutting pad first with Meguiar's 205 formula and then 105 if it doesn't cut it. Since none of my cars are show cars, I use the 205 with the buffing pad and then wax (take your pick).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Honestly, I know you want to keep the spend down, but you would be happier in the long run if you started out with a quality tool. That HF buffer will fall apart or burn out before you get finished with your car.

You can probably get a nice porter cable, dewalt, or milwaukee for less than $150 if you shop around. I went with the Milwaukee about 5 years ago and other than being speckled with wax, its still running like a beast.

The HF pads are not bad however. I good buy for less than $10 a piece.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I use the Cutting pad first with Meguiar's 205 formula and then 105 if it doesn't cut it. Since none of my cars are show cars, I use the 205 with the buffing pad and then wax (take your pick).
I have no goals but starting out with detailing first time (although I know what to do). I just want my jetblack all shiny again before I go to some car show in few weeks.

Honestly, I know you want to keep the spend down, but you would be happier in the long run if you started out with a quality tool. That HF buffer will fall apart or burn out before you get finished with your car.

You can probably get a nice porter cable, dewalt, or milwaukee for less than $150 if you shop around. I went with the Milwaukee about 5 years ago and other than being speckled with wax, its still running like a beast.

I am trying to keep the cost down since I am a student now, a full time. I might have to get a part time to help pay for school, gas, and little bit for myself.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What about this list? Ideally, I want to buy a whole kit but if I can buy all the items separately to save some cost, I will do this way.

I think ill go with porter machine since I plan to keep it for years.

I can get porter 7424XP 6 inch for $87.99 free shipping from Amazon. $14 for a clay bar kit from advance auto. That should leave me about $95 for pads, wax, sealant, and wheel cleaner.

Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer Porter Cable 7424XP & Pad Kit FREE BONUS

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griots-Garage-6-inch-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Plus-Kit-_p_690.html

Amazon.com: Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads: Automotive

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Not sure if you noticed, but I responded to your list, too (bold font in the quote).

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Diny, you should host a detailing school in your garage. hiha I have portal cable + pads + polish/compounds, but don't know how to use them. hiha hih

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if you noticed, but I responded to your list, too (bold font in the quote).
I did see that. I post 2 different posts, which the last one made to 2nd page.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts

I have this buffer and it works great...no issues...used it over and over again for over a year. Detailing all 3 of my cars E34, M5 and My wife's Pacifica.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I will be going with
-Porter 7424XP
-Claybar kit from advance auto (using up to 30% off).

Not sure on pads, wax, and sealants.

How many pads do I need to have if I were to detail multiple cars? I am trying to determine which pads works the best for me and my needs for next couple months. What about wax and sealants?

Diny - Is there anything online I could buy as a kit for pads?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
So I will be going with
-Porter 7424XP
-Claybar kit from advance auto (using up to 30% off).

Not sure on pads, wax, and sealants.

How many pads do I need to have if I were to detail multiple cars? I am trying to determine which pads works the best for me and my needs for next couple months. What about wax and sealants?

Diny - Is there anything online I could buy as a kit for pads?
I have 2 cars that I detail and 2 pads work well since I don't detail both at the same time. By the time I wash and prepare, they're ready for the net one. I usually try to avoid kits because they come with stuff that I wouldn't really need to use and just ends up taking space.

I have the following

Two 6" microfiber cutting pads
Two 3" microfiber cutting pads
One yellow 6" polishing pad
2 3" blue polishing pad
2 3" black finishing pad (which I mainly used to apply wax)

I also have applicator pads that I use to apply wax/sealant by hand and a hell of a lot of microfiber towels. I also have 2 huge microfiber drying towels (they work great for the simple washes that don't require soap)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 2 cars that I detail and 2 pads work well since I don't detail both at the same time. By the time I wash and prepare, they're ready for the net one. I usually try to avoid kits because they come with stuff that I wouldn't really need to use and just ends up taking space.

I have the following

Two 6" microfiber cutting pads
Two 3" microfiber cutting pads
One yellow 6" polishing pad
2 3" blue polishing pad
2 3" black finishing pad (which I mainly used to apply wax)

I also have applicator pads that I use to apply wax/sealant by hand and a hell of a lot of microfiber towels. I also have 2 huge microfiber drying towels (they work great for the simple washes that don't require soap)
I know that I will be detailing 7+ cars in the family that includes cousins car/SUV. I can buy lots of microfiber towels for $5 from walmart since it's only 2 min away from my home. I still have 8-9 microfiber towels that is clean/never used.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are the microfiber pads noticeably more effective than foam cutting pads? I have some LC foam pads I use in conjunction with M105/205 when I do my cars. Sometimes I found that even with a medium foam pad I was putting more pressure than I would like to remove swirls (though still worked well enough). I haven't had a chance to work on the M5s paint yet, but need to break out the supplies.

Deaf the PC is a good DA polisher, I wouldn't bother with the harbor freight one. I have a meguiars G110v2 that I've been happy with for the past several years. As for polishes the meguiars combo is nice (105 & 205) and relatively economical. For sealant I've been using menzerna power lock. Wax is poorboy's natty paste wax (red). All of the products have worked out fairly well for me and none of them were too over the top on price.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts