BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying the Porter Cable polisher in Lowes for $119. Has anyone else purchased this? What else should I buy in the way of pads for the polisher? Thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
cassino95 said:
That site has just about anything you can think of when it comes to DIY detailing.

BTW, I think the link that Jayson gave for the velcro backing pad is not for the Porter. Check out
http://www.topoftheline.com/polisher-back-plate.html

I think this is the right pad for the PC polisher.

-Mo

my bad. You got the right one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought one soon after I picked up my M5. Works great for applying wax, applying swirl remover, and working on minor scratches. You should look into a small backing plate + 4" pad for small areas and for scratch repair. Make sure and read up on the different pads and when and how to use them. Lots of good info at www.Autopia.org.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey for what its worth!
Check out the Zymol web site on wax application and so forth, I found it to be eye opening! :eek: The web site is www.zymol.com, check under application technique. I would spend the money on one of the starter kits that carries the more expensive waxes they sell. They are 100% agianst ever using buffers to apply any waxes or cleaners. There are some great threads on here with people that use the Zymol products and the results are incredible. Anyway, I hope you find this helpful!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ditto. Fantastic polisher.

What wax system have you decided on?

There is a great write up here- atomic80 did I if I recall... really thorough, with pictures and all!

A

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
rodman31 said:
Hey for what its worth!
Check out the Zymol web site on wax application and so forth, I found it to be eye opening! :eek: The web site is www.zymol.com, check under application technique. I would spend the money on one of the starter kits that carries the more expensive waxes they sell. They are 100% agianst ever using buffers to apply any waxes or cleaners. There are some great threads on here with people that use the Zymol products and the results are incredible. Anyway, I hope you find this helpful!!! :cheers:

From my experience, Zymol is a very average product at a very premium price, designed through marketing to separate underinformed expensive car owners from their money. It isn't bad stuff, it just costs twice what it should.

But the notion of not using machines is ludicrous.

Once you understand the difference betwen temporarily hiding scratches with the oils in glazes, polishes and waxes, and actually removing them with the diminishing abrasives in some polishes, swirl removers and rubbing compounds, you will know that that actually removing them is very hard work. Without using a machine (or working until your arm falls off on a single panel) to ensure that the abrasives DO diminish, you will succeed only in replacing swirl-type scratches with much finer ones that make your finish look hazy. You HAVE to work the abrasives very hard until the particle size has reduced to a fine polish. This is analogous to starting with 80 grit sand paper on a piece of wood and proceeding with successively finer abrasives through 600 or so in order to get a great finish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought the Porter Cable Orbital Polisher and thought it did a great job on my car. Following Atomic 80's wonderful thread, I taped up all the cracks and plastic on my car and wend with polish, glaze, and wax.

The results were fantastic. The machine really made a huge difference - no way I could have done that polish job by hand. As to the comment about not using machines - I'm no expert, but I would think that it's the products you apply, not the machine, that could cause harm. I went with a very mild polish (Menzerna Final Polish II).

I bought everything at properautocare.com. They are very helpful - feels like a family run operation from the nature of their helpful responses.

Definitely check out Atomic 80's thread. It's worth the read.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts