BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys,
So I've lurked on M5Board for quite a while as a non-member. Well after pulling the trigger on an A/W E60 a few weeks ago I finally actually joined. Saw this and thought I'd chime in. I'm not sure if it got discussed anywhere as I didn't read all 20 pages of the thread but in FWB we do a Cars and Coffee the second Saturday of every month starting at 9 am at the Santa Rosa Mall (coincidentally there is one tomorrow morning). Pcola and Panama City also have one two weeks apart from the FWB one. We have a pretty decent size BMW CCA crowd but in my opinion nothing like that of Pensacola guys. Looking forward to meeting you guys and going on some drives. Also, anyone heading to Sebring next week?
-Matt

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hello all,
I've been TDY at Tyndall AFB since last December but had my X5 35d down there instead of the M6. Am home on leave for a few more days and am considering bringing the M6 down this time. I have 70K miles on the car and am worried about the rod bearings but up here in Northern Wisconsin there's nobody near here that I could have change them out. Am hoping to get the Clevite bearings when they are available but they may not be available for a while yet. Am still debating if I should risk the 1500 mile drive back to Tyndall with the 70K miles on the bearings.

I'll try and read every post in this thread to see what's been happening for get-togethers.

Hope to meet you all somewhere.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hello all, just trying to resurrect this thread in hopes more Bimmerheads will come out! Pcola C&C every fourth Saturday at the IMAX Theatre on Bayou Blvd. There are a handful of e39 M5 owners in the area and there is larger BMW following with NWF Bimmers. I'll check in here from time to time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
USAF.

Are you having problems with the bearings making noise? Do a blackstone oil analysis if you are worried. I would not be too paranoid about them until they are making noise or the lab results say you have extra wear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
USAF.

Are you having problems with the bearings making noise? Do a blackstone oil analysis if you are worried. I would not be too paranoid about them until they are making noise or the lab results say you have extra wear.
Please do not wait until they make noise. At that point you can almost guarantee the crank, and the corresponding rod will need to come out of the car for work if not replacement.

The Blackstone analysis is an excellent idea. They will give you good information on your bearings life and wear so far, provided they have not been changed to BMW news rod bearings yet.

I will say rod bearings are a big issue with this motor (S85) and I have yet to see a rod bearing change close or over 100k miles that wouldn't be warranted at some point in the near future. Check out Fastattackmotorsports.com for a newly designed rod bearing to eliminate the 100k change interval will still being produced in the same manner as the original BMW bearing, which allow for the Lead-Copper to show up in the oil analysis.
-Matt

·
Registered
265 Posts
Please do not wait until they make noise. At that point you can almost guarantee the crank, and the corresponding rod will need to come out of the car for work if not replacement.

The Blackstone analysis is an excellent idea. They will give you good information on your bearings life and wear so far, provided they have not been changed to BMW news rod bearings yet.

I will say rod bearings are a big issue with this motor (S85) and I have yet to see a rod bearing change close or over 100k miles that wouldn't be warranted at some point in the near future. Check out Fastattackmotorsports.com for a newly designed rod bearing to eliminate the 100k change interval will still being produced in the same manner as the original BMW bearing, which allow for the Lead-Copper to show up in the oil analysis.
-Matt

My apologies, I thought he had an E39.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
1..2..3..4..5..6......just doing the CPR on this thread, lol.

Pensacola Cars & Coffee this Saturday at the IMAX Theatre on Bayou Blvd 8-10 am.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone in the Panama City area have E39 M5 software on their computer? I'd like to use DIS to do a VANOS test.. Any recommendations? I have beer! :wink

Anyone in the Panama City area in general? I feel all alone out here......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ya I'm pcb. What version DIS you need? I believe I have a compatible VAG COM cable and maybe can find the software.
Hi Halycon,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure what version I need. My car is a 2000 with the pac man connector under the hood. I already have a cable that works for taking data logs and uploading new calibrations to the DME using TTFS (BMWLogger) software via the OBD port. I believe the DIS software is widely available, but getting it up and running on any newer laptop is nearly impossible from what I hear. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got ahold of v44, let me see if i can get it up and running on my laptop and we can meet up and see if we cant get it working for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got ahold of v44, let me see if i can get it up and running on my laptop and we can meet up and see if we cant get it working for you.
That would be great. Thanks for offering to help out!

Are there any other PC beasts running around that you know of? In the past 8 months, I have only seen 2. Both black. May have even been the same car. Talked to one of them at a stop light. He worked out at tyndall and said he didnt work on his own car.

Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
that black car you mentioned, was it an e92 m3? if it was, ive ran into that guy a few times. didnt know he worked out at tyndall. other than that m3, i saw a white e36 m3 with a huge top mount turbo that had a cut out in the hood yesterday near thomas drive and i know of an e46 m3 black some with carbon fiber thats kinda beat up, he said he tracks it and gave me his card but i never got up with him. anyways, looks like this setup is a bit more complicated for DIS and ill have some time sunday to mess some more with it. ive got a pretty busy day tomorrow and saturday but rest assured ill do my best to help you out. id like to at least drool over your RK supercharger sometime soon, pm me your email as my post count isnt high enough to pm you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That would be great. Thanks for offering to help out!

Are there any other PC beasts running around that you know of? In the past 8 months, I have only seen 2. Both black. May have even been the same car. Talked to one of them at a stop light. He worked out at tyndall and said he didnt work on his own car.

Thanks again
ive got v44 up and running and have some idea of how to run the vanos test, i just need your cable and car now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
that black car you mentioned, was it an e92 m3? if it was, ive ran into that guy a few times. didnt know he worked out at tyndall. other than that m3, i saw a white e36 m3 with a huge top mount turbo that had a cut out in the hood yesterday near thomas drive and i know of an e46 m3 black some with carbon fiber thats kinda beat up, he said he tracks it and gave me his card but i never got up with him. anyways, looks like this setup is a bit more complicated for DIS and ill have some time sunday to mess some more with it. ive got a pretty busy day tomorrow and saturday but rest assured ill do my best to help you out. id like to at least drool over your RK supercharger sometime soon, pm me your email as my post count isnt high enough to pm you.
I was talking about E39 M5s. I have only seen 2, maybe just 1 in town.

ive got v44 up and running and have some idea of how to run the vanos test, i just need your cable and car now.
You are the man!!! I believe that I need to get a pac-man adapter for engine tests. I have one for the OBD port, but on MY2000 and some 2001? you need to use the round plug under the hood for some tests and OBD for others. I hear there is a way to jump connectors at the round plug to make the OBD work for everything. Silly BMWs.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts
About this Discussion
220 Replies
16 Participants
halcyon22
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing