BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been struggling to find proper distilled water locally and am on the verge of giving up. However, I have found this. It might be a bit more (£3.58 per litre) but being designed for PC cooling circuits, I would have thought it would need to be as pure and distilled as it could be.

TFC - The Feser Company

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Here, too. Arizona, USA.

Pick some up when you're buying the bread.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can get it for Irons, but often only in hard water areas, garages often have it too for topping up batteries.

I have a dehumidifier in the garage, it can craete about 10L a day when it's warm and damp.

What do you want it for?

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Is it really that hard to get it in the UK? It's in almost every grocery store here.
Hah! That reminds me of the Back To The Future bit when 1955 Doc explains acquiring plutonium to Marty.

"I'm sure that in the US you can get distilled water at any corner drug store but, in the UK, it's a little hard to come by!"

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We get the shopping delivered by a chirpy bloke in a van from Sainsbury's, it's rare we actually make it to a shop....

I've had lots of people tell me it's in Tesco's and the like (other supermarkets are available) but when I've gone out of my way to go and look, it's not there, and it's becoming really annoying. B&Q had some promising looking bottles, but it was de-ionised. Not the same thing. If I'm going to do it properly, I want the right stuff. Might just get some of that I've found in the original post, it must be pretty pure.

EDIT - Richard - It's for my cooling system flush and post- topping up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Plenty on the inside of my conservatory!
Was gonna say halfrauds, but thinking of de ionised.
What's wrong with filtered/mineral/de ionised?
What about rainwater filtered through a tight or cloth?

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
Hah! That reminds me of the Back To The Future bit when 1955 Doc explains acquiring plutonium to Marty.

"I'm sure that in the US you can get distilled water at any corner drug store but, in the UK, it's a little hard to come by!"
ha!!!

svck on that you castrol saf-xj & tws store buying mother-f-ers

not so special now are yah :haha2:

EDIT:
UNLESS YOU GOT SOME FIREWOOD AND CAN DO IT OUTSIDE, THE STOVE TOP METHOD WILL BE A 1-TO-1 TRADE OFF BETWEEN GAS AND DISTILLED WATER

here's how you can make some via stove top (looks very tedious though):

How to Make Your Own Distilled Water | eHow.com

INSTRUCTIONS

Begin to make your own distilled water by filling a 3-5 gallon stainless steel pot half full with tap water.

Float a glass bowl
Place a round, glass bowl afloat in the water in the pot. Make sure it does not touch the bottom. You don't want the water that will collect within the glass bowl to boil! (It will get hot). If there is enough water in the steel container, the bowl will simply float. (If it doesn't, place a round baking rack on the bottom of the stainless pot.)

Add ice to inverted lid
Invert the lid on the container and fill it with ice. This step to make your own distilled water is precisely to form the heat/cold barrier that creates a condensation effect. (Hot steam hits cold lid - condensation.)

Turn the stove on and heat tap water to a boil. As it continues to boil, it will cause steam to rise and condense on the convex side of the pot's cover. It will then turn back to liquid and drip down into the bowl.

Remove from heat and carefully remove lid. You may need to ladle off any ice water first. Distilled water that has dripped from the pot cover will now be in the glass bowl. Use potholders or gloves to remove the bowl as it will be hot. Cool the distilled water before bottling.

TIPS & WARNINGS

-Be sure the cover sits securely enough to let out as little steam as possible.

-Carefully lift the inverted lid from time to time to check that the steam water is going into the bowl.

-Make sure the bowl is large enough to catch as much of the steam water as possible.

-The above experiment on how to make your own distilled water is based on the premise that solid matter such as organisms and minerals are heavier than water molecules are, and will "settle" to the bottom.

-Don't let pot boil dry !

-This is a time consuming process. A home distiller would be a prudent investment if you choose to make distilled water in quantity

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just going off a thread similar to this, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/148723-coolant-flush-procedure.html

I'm sure I've read somewhere before that normal tap water is no good as it leaves deposits in the system. I've ignored it mostly, wondering what difference it would make but I'm trying to make an extra effort on this car. I replaced a coolant hose on my last car, and the old one had a layer of white deposit on the inside of the hose. Made me think at the time but now...

This is just me being typically thorough about trying to get the right stuff, ignore me :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd go for deionised mate.

"distilled water is water that has been distilled (funnily enough). its heated to a vapour and allowed to condense this essentially removes "everything " from the water apart from h2o. Distilled water is really expensive and is quite difficult to get. ( you need a licence to make it in the UK as you are operating a distillery)

Deionised water has all the mineral content removed (salts) usually by capturing with specially chemical reactive filters . What it doesn't remove is the organic compounds in the water (unless they accidentally get sucked into a filter. Advantages are its almost as resistive as distilled water but its a lot cheaper to make. essentially deionised water is what industry uses in place of distilled water as it essentially behaves the same in practical use for most purposes.

Demineralised is almost the same as deionised water but it might not remove all the ions from the water . In the real world the two are used interchangably and are suitable for much the same things. "

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Learning again :)

Many thanks guys, will likely be deionised then, as I do know where I can get that on a regular basis.

When I redo the cooling system, I just want it remain in brand-spanking condition.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Been struggling to find proper distilled water locally and am on the verge of giving up. However, I have found this. It might be a bit more (£3.58 per litre) but being designed for PC cooling circuits, I would have thought it would need to be as pure and distilled as it could be.

TFC - The Feser Company

Opinions?

They normally sell it a grocery stores and pharmacies. If not there, then some autoparts and hardware stores carry it.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
In your shoes I would get deionized water and boil it myself just to double check.

As true as it is that there are lots of methods of acquiring your own distilled water, none are particularly fruitful enough to top of a car's coolant in say, an afternoon...

Especially the hole in ground/tarp method!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another option, though I'm not sure of the legality in your area, is to construct or purchase a still and simply put water in it instead of wort. A classroom chemistry set with a flask, a beaker, a stopper and a coil of chilled glass tube would also work, or you could also use the steamer on your espresso machine by aiming it into a cold collection container, depending on how much water you need.

Try a tobacconist. Humidor manufacturers suggest use of distilled water in humidifiers, so they may know where to acquire some.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
In your shoes I would get deionized water and boil it myself just to double check.

As true as it is that there are lots of methods of acquiring your own distilled water, none are particularly fruitful enough to top of a car's coolant in say, an afternoon...

Especially the hole in ground/tarp method!

why would you boil it?

DI water is fine, most is charcoal filtered first which removes most disolved organic compounds (DOCs). RO water is NOT DI water, RO lacks a bit of the mineral/salt filtering.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Distilling gets rid of pritty much everything in the water apart from substances that have a boiling point lower than water, i would say RO water is better as it contains absolutely nothing, the 50% coolant does the filtering. Also another fact of distilled water is that its an active absorber so when it mixes with air it absorbs carbon dioxide and makes it acidic. Also RO water has a PH 7 which is perfect as distilled tends to be more acidic. But still, it isn’t going to make much difference either way

RO water does not remove everything. DI removes more.

Also, Water's natural pH (without anything in it) is around 5-5.5. But that doesn't matter as there is nothing in it to do anything - one drop of anything acidic andthe pH will drop like a rock, or one drop of anything basic and it will rocket up.

I can go measure RO or DI water out of the DI tap in the laboratory 3 feet behind me, or bring my RO drinking water from home and measure.

understanding what pH is actually measuring is crucial to making judgements based on pH.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Sorry fella but your wrong there, RO water removes absolutely everything including oxygen, distilled doesn’t remove everything. RO water has a PH of 7 and distilled has a more acidic PH

I didn't mention distilled. I mentioned DI, DI = deionized. Deionized water goes through a reverse osmosis membrane, and then through a salt/mineral-removing membrane.

you're more than welcome to read up on it yourself:

Reverse osmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I work with DI water daily. Not only at my R&D lab; but with my marine aquariums at my home. I'll take a picture of the DI water out of the tap, and subsequently on a pH meter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.