BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As this is my first real post I wanted to introduce myself a bit. My Name is Max and my Username is originalwienerschitzel because I am from Austria. To be more precise, from Vienna. Born and raised there. I was always into cars. Everything else was and is a bit “Meh”. Probably I am not the only one to thank Alex Roy that I wanted an E39 M5 so bad. It is my third car (#1 was a E36 325i project and #2 a MK3 Golf) and I really love it. I underrated the maintenance costs at first but still try to keep the car until I will be no more.

My own M5 journey started on June 10th, 2019. I got the car for an okay price at a used performance car dealer in Vienna. From new it was owned by a Doctor in Austria who had every service done at the dealership and it was the cheapest E39 M5 Facelift in Austria. So far so good. He had it until 2018 where another “gentle”man acquired it and probably run out of money cause it only had it for a year. As it turned out the price was still too high, because it had an Accident. Nothing major but still big enough to require taking the whole front end apart. My friends told me to give the car back and ask back for my money, but it was too late. I decided to keep the car and fix it.

So, I started with basic Maintenance stuff.

Air and cabin Filters
Oil Filter and oil change
Take apart the intake plenum and see if everything is alright …

That is where I had my first big “Oh F###” moment. One of the mechanics who previously worked on the car did a s### job of putting it together. The driver side seal from the snorkel to the Airbox was half on and half inside the plenum. One of the nuts for the intake runners was loose and fortunately stuck in between one of the runners and the gasket flange on the driver side bank and also one of the holes in the gasket flange was not aligned correctly and it sucked in a bit air from there.

Luckily, I was with a friend who is a BMW technician and he saved my *** big time. The engine could have been a paperweight at any time.

I did other maintenance work as well which I will list and later post pictures from

Changed the rear Turn signal bulbs
Checked the drain underneath the brakebooster
Replaced both Thurstarm Bushings (Powerflex Black)
Replaced both Front Wishbones (Also with Powerflex Black bushings)
Did 2 oil changes since I have the car, one with a BMW Filter and Liqui Moly 10W60 and the second one 5000 kilometers later with a Mann Filter and Mobil 1 5W50
Replaced the first bowden cable from the cabin to the hood because that broke
Got original BMW V8 chrome kidneys
Took apart the complete rear end and trunk area of the car on the lookout for rust and hidden damage
Started on fixing paint chips, but the “right” way and started fixing typical E39 rust on the panel under the trunk lid
Bought a new rust free trunk lid to replace the one that is one the car and rusts
Put on new wiperblades

Yesterday was the day I got it back out of hibernation. It stayed with my grandfather in Lower Austria because he has space to put cars and did not really care that I parked the M5 there for 2 months. It was on a battery tender the whole time so it started right up.

A picture I took after I started the car at my grandfathers house and let it run to warm up a bit. A friend drove me there with his new to him E92 325d.

First wash in 2 months.

After 50 kilometers or so on the Autobahn we stopped for a quick snack and I checked the tire pressure to make sure everything is alright. Forgot to check the oil level -.-

First fillup after hibernation. A view i know very well. Just Super Plus 98 octane for the M5. Here you can see where it started to rust and where I started to fix the rust.

As he sits now. Yes it is a male. Because it is a strong Bavarian machine I named him Hans. Yes he has Styling 66 mounted because that is the official winter tire set from BMW. I have Styling 65 which are my summer tires.
No i did not damage the side skirt, he came like that. The next big thing which I need to do for the annual inspection, the "Pickerl", is fix the headlights.

Stay tuned for more and please be kind ;-)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Holy cow I just noticed something I have NEVER seen before EVER! Style 66 are basically Style 65s without the extra recessed spokes! and a bit smaller in size I think, but wow I never noticed that before. Interesting. Nice car, keep HIM forever!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy cow I just noticed something I have NEVER seen before EVER! Style 66 are basically Style 65s without the extra recessed spokes! and a bit smaller in size I think, but wow I never noticed that before. Interesting. Nice car, keep HIM forever!
I try to Keep him forever. I noticed that too when I bought the wheels. There are so many Things still to do, but I really love that car. There is a small update coming later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update #1

So yesterday evening I did some more maintenance stuff (please excuse the poor picture quality).

On the To-Do List this time were

Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Valve cover gaskets
Sway bar links

So dismantling the engine bay was the easiest task to do on that night. Took both cabin filter housings out of the car. Then we changed plans and started with the underside of the car first. So at first we did the sway bar links and fuel filter. I try to use BMW supplier parts as often as possible. So Lemförder links and a Mann filter.

The fuel filter, which was my task wasn't really difficult. I unscrewed some rusted but working nuts with washers and undid three of those awesome clips. I did not the the whole cover plate off. For everyone trying to do the fuel filter as a DIY. Do it, it is really easy. I used a 18 or 19 mm wrench on the fuel filter side and a 24 mm wrench on the regulator side. Popped right off.

Drained the old filter into an empty beer bottle.

After those things were done we put the car back on the ground and started to work on the engine.

Partially disassembled Intake system. As you can see there is oil in my engine. But I don't worry too much about it. It is an ///M engine so it uses oil and it has 144.000 miles so it is not perfect.

Putting the new spark plugs in. Had to use long needle nose pliers to get the spark plug socket back out because it sat really tight on the spark plug itself.

And than checked the oil hoses on the back of the intake plenum. No cracks.

After we reassembled everything we primed the fuel system a few times and it started right up. I think it runs a bit smoother but that is probably only in my mind.

Had a good drive home and parked the car.

Next up will be the brake system. New front pads and maybe rotors, clip for the pads and new brake fluid all from ATE because the brakes on the Euro M5 are different than the US spec brakes. -.-

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looking good. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the answers and the support. It really means a lot to me.

Update #2

So I decided to fix the headlights this weekend.

As I already told you, the cars had an accident which was "repaired".

Right side

Left side

Everything looked promising. I had all the parts I needed (all new BMW, used but good brackets from Hella and the new bulbs for the turn signals) and a restoration kit. Then it went down the drain really fast -.-

The headlight did not fit into the oven, my hairdryer wasn’t strong enough and I broke one of the adjustment knobs on the left side.

Got a deal on a used Xenon facelift headlight with everything fixed. Just swapped over my bulbs and the Xenon control unit. Everything kinda works now. I just need to fix the passenger side adjuster (my torx screw driver wasn’t long enough) and I need new bulbs. Just changed the turn signal ones (Philips SilverVision, the same ones I already have in the rear lights). They are really awesome. No more amber on the car.

Put everything back together and waiting for the brake parts, which will be the next update.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What were you trying to do with the headlights?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts