BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I simply asked if I could put the Castrol 10w60 in my car and they said "no problem, it is more expensive, but it adds an extra layer of protection".

My car has original BMW warranty through 12-15-05, but of course the free maintenance has expired.

Steve

·
10,456 Posts
sarends said:
I simply asked if I could put the Castrol 10w60 in my car and they said "no problem, it is more expensive, but it adds an extra layer of protection".

My car has original BMW warranty through 12-15-05, but of course the free maintenance has expired.

Steve
My dealer will do the same. They would also do it while under the free maintenance, or when there's warranty work involved.
Mike

·
Registered
540 Posts
sarends said:

Steve
Are you sure the maintenance is no longer valid???I thought it was the same term as the warranty on an 02.

check it out

al

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer told me the maintenance expired in 36 months, which for my car would have been 12-15-04 - since my in service date was 12-15-01. Was there a reason you thought that an 02 had maintenance for 48 months?

Thx, Steve

M5 Fever said:
Are you sure the maintenance is no longer valid???I thought it was the same term as the warranty on an 02.

check it out

al

·
10,456 Posts
i think it went to 4/50 for 03's. my wife's 02 525iT had 3/36, that we extended to 4/50 at the time of original purchase.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
sarends said:

Steve

Hi Steve,

Did your dealer charge you extra to put in the 10w60 oil? I just had an oil change under warranty and Century West here in LA charged me for the upgraded oil to the tune of 70 bucks.

How did you make out?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is past the point of receiving free oil changes, so I was going topay either way. The 5W30 would ahve been about $75 and the 10w60 was $90.

greer said:
Hi Steve,

Did your dealer charge you extra to put in the 10w60 oil? I just had an oil change under warranty and Century West here in LA charged me for the upgraded oil to the tune of 70 bucks.

How did you make out?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
My dealer charged me $11.93/quart for OEM recommended Castrol 10W60

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
My dealer will do the same. They would also do it while under the free maintenance, or when there's warranty work involved.
Mike
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you guys are KILLING me... grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
298 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
My dealer charged me $11.93/quart for OEM recommended Castrol 10W60
Wow!!! According to my dealer parts guy, their cost is $8.13/L for 10W60 (it comes in litre bottles, not quarts). They charged me $8.50/L for a full case on my last visit.

You might want to try another dealership, or at the very least ask for the BMWCCA discount.

Regards

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My dealer will put in either oil under the free maintenance, and I also bought the 1 year, 12K mile extension form my 02 M5. Either oil is recommended for all E39 M5s, so the choice of one over the other by the customer should not be an issue. BMWNA will reimburse the dealer for any approved product used to maintain the car as required for scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
do you know differences between castrol rs 10w60 and castrol tws 10w60 (i heard that the tws was specificly made for motorsport engine M3,M5 and Z8, after the big engine problems of the e46 M).

·
10,456 Posts
Mikaelmik said:
do you know differences between castrol rs 10w60 and castrol tws 10w60 (i heard that the tws was specificly made for motorsport engine M3,M5 and Z8, after the big engine problems of the e46 M).
What i've heard is based on internet messageboards, so take it for what it's worth!

TWS stands for Ten W Sixty and uses a slightly different base so it lasts longer than RS. RS does not tend to last long enough to use bmw's service interval.
mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
jhowton said:
Wow!!! According to my dealer parts guy, their cost is $8.13/L for 10W60 (it comes in litre bottles, not quarts). They charged me $8.50/L for a full case on my last visit.

You might want to try another dealership, or at the very least ask for the BMWCCA discount.

Regards
Jamie,

I pay $7.61 a bottle at the dealer. I am assuming that we are using the same dealer.

Nadeem

·
Registered
298 Posts
tannad said:
I pay $7.61 a bottle at the dealer. I am assuming that we are using the same dealer.
Motorwerks is where I get it, maybe I should try a new dealer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jhowton said:
Motorwerks is where I get it, maybe I should try a new dealer.
Patrick BMW for me.
(They claim it is cheaper by the case. I guess I'll go find out.)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I literally just finished changing my oil....with 5w30. Personally, I'd rather change my oil every 5,000 miles with 5w30 (which I do) than once every 10,000 with 10w60. But thats me.

·
10,456 Posts
boostmiser said:
Personally, I'd rather change my oil every 5,000 miles with 5w30 (which I do) than once every 10,000 with 10w60. But thats me.
I don't think this is the issue. From what i've seen, bmw long life synthetic 5w30 will last longer than tws 10w60. The issue is if the 5/30 has enough viscosity for the s62 engine. BMW north america seems to think it does.
Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts