BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just replaced my NGK BKR 6 EQUP OEM plugs with Denso IK20 Irdiums.

I was never a fan of the "multi-prong" plugs (my personal opinion is that the multi-pronged plugs extend service life at the expense of performance).

I think the OEM plugs were original and never replaced (119k miles). Difference between them was night and day, smoother cold start up idle and much livelier throttle response (take into account that the old plugs...were... old :hihi: ).

Overall process was simple, but took me a while to find a right torque wrench that would fit the tight tolerances of the S62 engine bay. Spent a few moments scratching my head converting Ft/lbs to In/lbs. The only torque wrench that I found that would work was only in in/lbs. Note - 1 ft/lb = 12 in/lbs. Torque rating on plugs - 21 ft lbs or 252 in/lbs

New Denso IK20s

Passengers side BREMI Coil Packs

Old NGK plug.

Comparison new vs old

Driver's side BREMI coil packs. Strange thing here, notice the rust colored gunk on the ends... anyone have any idea what this is ??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wow your old plugs were toast!! I installed NGK iridiums into my beast with about the same mileage as yours. My old plugs were pretty bad, the new plugs made a big difference especially cold idle.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
you didn't use the factory plugs, omfg remove them immediately!! your engine is going to explode!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, j/k obviously as i use the iridiums as well. the rust on the coil boots is most likley from a bit of water getting into the plug wells at some point it time.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Thank you for NOT posting "I cannot believe how much better the iridiums are compared to the stock plugs- what a great upgrade"

;)

Oh, an the original plugs were BMW, no? (ie NGKs but with a BMW priniting) At least that is what I recalled.

A

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Thank you for NOT posting "I cannot believe how much better the iridiums are compared to the stock plugs- what a great upgrade"

;)

Oh, an the original plugs were BMW, no? (ie NGKs but with a BMW priniting) At least that is what I recalled.

A
Yes, BMW are rebadged NGKs. It's placebo effect, combined with the fact that you're replacing old plugs with brand spankin new ones.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

;)
You mean to say, brand new plugs are so much better than old plugs?

That's preposterous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts