BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed a Dension Gateway 300 in my 2001 beast and now i have a whineing noise through the stereo which changes with engine speed. :confused:

Any ideas as to what the problem could be would be greatly recieved...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
I have just installed a Dension Gateway 300 in my 2001 beast and now i have a whineing noise through the stereo which changes with engine speed. :confused:

Thanks in advance

Classic bad ground scenario. Check wiring very carefully.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

Thanks in advance
Sure, there is a difference in the resistance between the ground of your Dension and the ground of the rest of the system. The Dension ground could be better, could be worse. As a consequence, one of the components is grounding itself through the audio connection instead of the ground itself.

Basically, all audio components need to be grounded in the same location. Failure to do so results in alternator whine (also known as ground loop interference). You can try a set of GLI RCA cables - they may cover up the issue. Otherwise, the right way to fix this is to change the ground location on your Dension.

d-

·
Registered
597 Posts
Douglas,

Over the past few weeks I have seen you respond to many questions on M5Board. I have to say you have a great way of explaining things in a simple direct manner. It would have taken me a long disortation to explain the ground loop issue above that you were able to do in just a couple sentences.

I for one would like to say thanks for your input on this board.

Rob

Sure, there is a difference in the resistance between the ground of your Dension and the ground of the rest of the system. The Dension ground could be better, could be worse. As a consequence, one of the components is grounding itself through the audio connection instead of the ground itself.

Basically, all audio components need to be grounded in the same location. Failure to do so results in alternator whine (also known as ground loop interference). You can try a set of GLI RCA cables - they may cover up the issue. Otherwise, the right way to fix this is to change the ground location on your Dension.

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks Rob! I appreciate the feedback and vote of confidence - I always worry that I've written way more than needed :)

Always happy to help out a fellow M5Board member - I've gotten a lot of good BMW specific information from this board and feel that the least i can do is pay some back when my generic knowledge is applicable!

d-

·
8,369 Posts
+1.

Doug is one very helpful and extremely nice guy.

A big asset to the M5board.

Douglas,

Over the past few weeks I have seen you respond to many questions on M5Board. I have to say you have a great way of explaining things in a simple direct manner. It would have taken me a long disortation to explain the ground loop issue above that you were able to do in just a couple sentences.

I for one would like to say thanks for your input on this board.

Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

I have double checked the install paying attention to the earth's, the gateway comes with a "piggy-back" harness that plugs into the original loom thus retaining the original earth wires etc.

Does this mean it must be a problem with the Dension unit itself?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I have double checked the install paying attention to the earth's, the gateway comes with a "piggy-back" harness that plugs into the original loom thus retaining the original earth wires etc.

Does this mean it must be a problem with the Dension unit itself?

Thanks in advance guys.
Try a new set of rca cables. If that doesn't solve the issue, send the Dension back for a new one or a refund.

d-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update on this issue,

After many conversations with Dension they agreed that they had a problem with their units and they informed me they were working on a "modified unit".

The modified replacement unit turned up yesterday and i am pleased to say "no more alternator whine"....yipeee!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts