BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Collecting our car soon...

I have made a request to the dealer that I want minimal miles on it - less than 2 it what I'm looking for.

They have told me that it is impossible! it is more likely to have 15-20 miles on it.

It's not every day you purchase a new M5, I want to ensure that it has as little miles as possible.

So why would it have so many?...

1. Do they do many test miles at the factory? I have seen cars being produced at factories in the past - they do test them there, and if there is a problem they may take them out on a short test track - mainly for bumps and noises etc.. But I'm not sure if they reset the odometer to zero at that point?

2. It will be loaded onto a truck from the factory, this should be a few meters only.

3. Then unloaded from the truck at the dealers when it arrives - another few hundred meters.

4. I understand that a mechanic at the dealership may then need to test it to check if everything is ok on a test drive, should be no more than 2 miles.

Why do they end up having 7 miles as an average (as per another thread here).

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I wouldn't worry if my car had 15 miles on it - this is acceptable 'delivery' mileage.

Hope to see you at our next meet Glenn :byebye:

·
Registered
537 Posts
1. Do they do many test miles at the factory? I have seen cars being produced at factories in the past - they do test them there, and if there is a problem they may take them out on a short test track - mainly for bumps and noises etc.. But I'm not sure if they reset the odometer to zero at that point?

As explained by my sales rep. The M cars are test driven longer than regular cars. If there are any noises , bumps it is repaired and tested again.
8-10 miles tops. Odometers are not reset

2. It will be loaded onto a truck from the factory, this should be a few meters only.

3. Then unloaded from the truck at the dealers when it arrives - another few hundred meters.
1 mile tops

4. I understand that a mechanic at the dealership may then need to test it to check if everything is ok on a test drive, should be no more than 2 miles.

2- 5 miles for the test drive

------

So a guestimate is that the minimum it could have is 8 miles

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I don't think they test drive M cars. My M3 had 1.1 miles on it when I took delivery. My 03 M5 had just 4 (and it was a dealer stock car, I didn't order it). A good friend ordered his and it had 2. Those 15 to 20 miles are people at the dealership playing and having fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

Yes - I don't understand why there would be more than 5 miles on a new car. It would be very inefficient for BMW and the Dealerships to be driving every car for x amount of miles to deliver to a dealership (wether moving from transporters/depots etc.).

I have told them anyway if there are more than 5 miles on it I will be expecting a discount.

We'll see what happens I guess!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.