BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading through a few threads here,it seems that everyone has had their delivery dates brought forward.I myself went from No.5 to No.1 a few weeks back and am now getting car in 3 weeks approx,not Feb.

My concern is that what this means is a lack of demand for the car.
I am obviously thrilled and looking forward to it,and I have 2 hour test drive booked on Tuesday with t he dealer demo car.

·
Registered
904 Posts
With all due respect for everyone who is concerned about demand for this car, I just don't get it. Why all the concern? Either you like the car for its performance, styling, etc. or you don't. Just because the demand may be lower (not sure about that) does this somehow cast doubt, or cause concern about your decision to purchase this car?

My call is that it probably revolves around a couple of things: 1) It is human nature to have something that everybody else wants, when something is less desired it can make you re-think the purchase decision, ie. the old concept, if no one wants it, it can't be that good. 2) Concern about values holding up in the future (depreciation).

If your concern has anything to do with the above, DON'T BUY THIS CAR...buy a Ferrari!! If it doesn't relate to the above, I'd be curious to know your reasons for concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have left an earlier thread stating that my delivery had been brought forward from May 06 to week 52 this year. I know that there have been some people dropping out as my dealer has told me but this is not due to the car itself but more the price and timing. I think economic conditions were a little more favourable when a lot of these orders were first placed and as delivery dates have approached some potential purchasers have not got the financial means to commit.

One thing is for sure, the cars exclusivity and performance is not in question. And as for the looks.....i saw one in Birmingham last Saturday and it basically brought the place to a standstill. (photos do it no justice whatsoever).

As for depreciation....show me a £80k supercar that holds it's value. And for the record - i bought a brand new 911 Carrera S (997) in March this year and I have just sold it in readiness for my M6...believe me you do not want to know what I lost on it.

The M6 is definately the way forward.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've got a coupe arriving on Wednesday. I managed to get the equivalent of £3k off mine (retail money on my p/x plus 1k off the M6 - I change my cars every 6 months, and this will be my 4th 6 series). Plus, I get a VAT exemption (search my previous post for details) which is equivalent to a 15% discount. I'm hoping that when my M6 cab arrives (I've got my dealer's first two slots - not sure if I'll take them both) I'll be able to get back what I paid for the car. When I was driving M3s it was easy - but the market was stronger then too, I used to make a few grand profit on evey car. I've managed to break even since moving over to the 6, but that has taken some pretty hard negotiation on my part.

Tim

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tarquin Tullah said:
As for depreciation....show me a £80k supercar that holds it's value. And for the record - i bought a brand new 911 Carrera S (997) in March this year and I have just sold it in readiness for my M6...believe me you do not want to know what I lost on it.

I think the Ferrari 430 will hold its value for quite some time as long as the miles are reasonable. One could probably hold onto to a 430 Spider for 3 to 4 years and probably not get hurt too much, if at all, upon resale. Try that with a Porsche or for that matter just about every other car.

I absolutely agree that the depreciation on the M6 will be much less than on a Porsche. I too had my experiences with selling a late model Porsche (996C4) and man did that hurt!!!! Porsche's have not been holding their value at all (read post 993 models).

·
Registered
24 Posts
You just have to come to terms with what you are going to lose ,if you buy the car thinking that you will not going to lose money then you are stuffed.

I have resigned myself to the fact that i am going to lose money on the car,and thats that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tim_M said:
I've got a coupe arriving on Wednesday. I managed to get the equivalent of £3k off mine (retail money on my p/x plus 1k off the M6 - I change my cars every 6 months, and this will be my 4th 6 series). Plus, I get a VAT exemption (search my previous post for details) which is equivalent to a 15% discount. I'm hoping that when my M6 cab arrives (I've got my dealer's first two slots - not sure if I'll take them both) I'll be able to get back what I paid for the car. When I was driving M3s it was easy - but the market was stronger then too, I used to make a few grand profit on evey car. I've managed to break even since moving over to the 6, but that has taken some pretty hard negotiation on my part.

Tim
I have numerous bmw's and if i would have kept to one dealership with my car buying i would have a very sore arse.

Most people do not have the luxury of the 15% margin so you have to be a little more clever to hold to the value of the cars you are buying.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I take your point about shopping around. I used to do it that way until I found a dealer that could see past the end of his nose. Now I get good prices, and I have a good relationship with the guys I deal with. There is always a bit of give and take on both sides, but I'm on top after 4 years. I don't think (and hope like hell) that this car won't go the same way as the Z8 (no offence!) - I think this car has a much larger market - let's hope BMW UK don't do the usual and flood the market with lots of cheap cars just at the wrong moment.

Tim

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tarquin Tullah said:
I have left an earlier thread stating that my delivery had been brought forward from May 06 to week 52 this year. I know that there have been some people dropping out as my dealer has told me but this is not due to the car itself but more the price and timing. I think economic conditions were a little more favourable when a lot of these orders were first placed and as delivery dates have approached some potential purchasers have not got the financial means to commit.

One thing is for sure, the cars exclusivity and performance is not in question. And as for the looks.....i saw one in Birmingham last Saturday and it basically brought the place to a standstill. (photos do it no justice whatsoever).

Tarquin..as I am about to sell my carrera S ,I am interested how much you got for it.IF you want to tell me P.M me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MaxTimeOff said:
With all due respect for everyone who is concerned about demand for this car, I just don't get it. Why all the concern? Either you like the car for its performance, styling, etc. or you don't. Just because the demand may be lower (not sure about that) does this somehow cast doubt, or cause concern about your decision to purchase this car?

My call is that it probably revolves around a couple of things: 1) It is human nature to have something that everybody else wants, when something is less desired it can make you re-think the purchase decision, ie. the old concept, if no one wants it, it can't be that good. 2) Concern about values holding up in the future (depreciation).

If your concern has anything to do with the above, DON'T BUY THIS CAR...buy a Ferrari!! If it doesn't relate to the above, I'd be curious to know your reasons for concern.

My concenr is that I have accepted hefty depreciation as a unfortunate issue with these type of cars,but there is a level whereby now matter how good the car,extreme depreciation can take the fun out of it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
markf said:
My concenr is that I have accepted hefty depreciation as a unfortunate issue with these type of cars,but there is a level whereby now matter how good the car,extreme depreciation can take the fun out of it.
I guess each of us has to decide how much depreciation it takes to suck the fun out of owning a particular car. My rule of thumb is this; if I worry at all about the depreciation hit I am gonna take when I sell a car, then I shouldn't be buying that car, period. Don't get me wrong, value retention is a consideration, but if it starts to impact the fun factor....it's financially the wrong car in my opinion.

By the way, my personal opinion is that the M6 will not experience "extreme" depreciation. Right now bimmers are holding value very well. I would be much more concerned if I was buying a Merc AMG or any newer Porsche, no doubt about that.

Get that M6 and don't look back...and please post some pics quick!! :) :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you're right.And new ones are being advertised for a premium over here at the moment,but since i want to use and enjoythe car,i won't benefit from that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just been to my local dealers to put a deposit down on the M6 and of course I enquired about delivery times.

Sales lady said 18 month wait, but that one was 'available for delivery shortly' due to a cancelled demonstrator order at another dealer.

So it seems I can pay now and get this one sooner, rather than wait if I accept their spec. Never asked if it was over MSRP mind, as I haven’t tested one yet.

The same thing happened with my SL 3 years ago, went in, got serious about ordering and suddenly a cancellation came up which could be delivered in 7 weeks to my spec.

Is this dealers being dealers (doing themselves favours but not for resale values), or am I just lucky that I always seem to get cancelled allocations??!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
PS, if your worried about depreciation, I lost £2250 per month on my CL55 over 11 months of ownership :crying:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont buy a demo !!!!

I was allowed to thrash the demo ,full revs,max gearchange...I expect other demos will be the same.

·
Registered
114 Posts
markf said:
Dont buy a demo !!!!

I was allowed to thrash the demo ,full revs,max gearchange...I expect other demos will be the same.
Yep very true!!!!

This one was a brand new one though with delivery miles, due to arrive 'soon' she said

·
Registered
230 Posts
mmunson said:
Just been to my local dealers to put a deposit down on the M6 and of course I enquired about delivery times.

Sales lady said 18 month wait, but that one was 'available for delivery shortly' due to a cancelled demonstrator order at another dealer.

So it seems I can pay now and get this one sooner, rather than wait if I accept their spec. Never asked if it was over MSRP mind, as I haven’t tested one yet.

The same thing happened with my SL 3 years ago, went in, got serious about ordering and suddenly a cancellation came up which could be delivered in 7 weeks to my spec.

Is this dealers being dealers (doing themselves favours but not for resale values), or am I just lucky that I always seem to get cancelled allocations??!!
My dealer has 3 garages and he says that he is selling his demonstrators because there is no point having a demonstrator of a car that you have to wait so long to get. I hope he is not lying because I have bought one of them.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Hope to see some M6s at our next meet :byebye:

Nothing planned right now but I'll post info in the m6 forum when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts