BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Geez Rich, I really don't want to discourage you from asking questions on the forum, but I wonder how much time you've spent actually reading what's already out there. Lots of folks have bought lots of used cars here, and surely a few hours of research would give you a better comfort level of what are common and uncommon failure points on the E39.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Seriously dude. Search and read before hitting the "New Thread" button.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
PPI will not find many of the problems with these cars!! They will find the "obvious", brakes, tires, rust, body damage, under body damage, suspension damage, possibly clutch.

What the PPI will most likely not find are things like the following (unless of course you find someone who has owned a BMW/E39 doing the PPI.

Headlight adjusters WILL be broken
Headlight and fog light lens will be pitted, headlights may be hazing
Reclining seats WILL have at least 1 bad cable
Rear sway bar brackets WILL be broken or recently replaced
Suspension bushings WILL need replacement, thrust arm bushings, rear bushings, unless they have been previously replaced.
Driveline/driveshaft issues, Guibio, Center Bearing, CV joints
Differential seal leaks
Secondary Air Pump and check valve WILL need replacement, you should hear my dieing animal when I start the car cold!!
Drivers side seat belt may not retract correctly, more likely when cold
Power steering hose leaks
Thermostat
Fan clutch
Oil return hoses probably soft
Bent wheels
Leaky inner door seals, only if someone has had a door panel off for a window motor or door lock actuator
Sloppy shifter, usually bushing need replacement
Heater fan squeaking
Driver seat foam worn and compressed
Windshield washer pumps leaking
Wheel bearings
Rear sun shade guides WILL be broken, side sun shades will be torn and/or have broken clips.
Oil pan drain hole may be stripped or close to being stripped, look for leaks and/or non OEM drain plug
Just plan on replacing the battery unless they can show it is less than 2 years old!

Just face it, a lot of these items are not deal breakers, BUT they will take time and money. Many of these items are "classic" BMW/E39 issues as well.

PPI will find the bigger items, but YOU really need to look the car over VERY closely and know where to look, or you figure the basics are sound ie, engine, trans, body is all good, and it is a car you want with features you want and just buy it, then fix the issues as you find them.

These cars are annoying to keep up with, but fun when they are working correctly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone else complained about my posts so this will be the last comment or thread I will create. Sorry for all the questions. I will continue to read things but people seem to take offense as to my questions and such so think it is better to be silent going forward.

Thanks to to those that have helped me here.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Its not the questions that people mind, most everyone I know welcomes them. Its the creating of new threads that upset people. These cars have been out for 11+ years now and the people on this board are very willing and capable of giving out advice freely. Just about every question you can think to ask has been asked. All people are saying is search for your answer before you create a new thread.

Dont be upset, youre welcome to ask all the questions you want... in the threads already created asking that same question. IF you find nada in your searching, THEN create a new one. (aside from oil and tire threads, create all the new ones of those topics you want... I keed I keed)

I for one appreciate your enthusiasm and Im sure once you get your own Beast it will continue and most assuredly increase. Im confidant your new Beast will fall into the right hands. Youre passion for these cars is contagious. Im also sure your excitement and energy will be a great addition to the board, as it already is. Once you get one, you will find a ton of new questions to ask and maybe find something to contribute yourself.

Please dont get upset and not post again. Thats not good for anyone especially your new Beast!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
^ Good post.... Well said....

Reactions: Hdhntr23

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've had a few PMs with RR today and I told him not to run off, that I didn't mean offense.

I think he's very apprehensive about buying one of these cars (after reading some of the posts here, who can blame him?) and is trying to get his ducks in a row. Problem is, there are too many duck threads. ;)

I have spent a lot of time on all kinds of different forums and this one is generally a much nicer, better behaved and more informative forum than any other that I can remember, bar one. And that one forum has since changed and become more insular and less pleasant, so I don't bother with it any more.

Things change. As these cars get older and cheaper, I expect the average age of participants here will decrease, as conversely the general knowledge will increase. I personally dislike posts from youngsters who think they are IM'ing their BFF and dont use proper punctuation caps or spel write. So I guess I'm anti-social in that regard. But at least I don't send them nastigrams, I just ignore them. :)

Michael

Reactions: jfoj and timmay77

·
Registered
226 Posts
What is interesting about this board is that there is so much information on here that I have actually gotten a "phobia" that all of these things are actually going to happen to my car. Granted, all cars will have some of the common problems but the more I read, the more I am looking for things that really aren't there. For example....Vanos noise.... my ears are like a stethoscope trying to listen for the tell-tale sounds.

This is a great board with a wealth of information...that is fact.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
What is interesting about this board is that there is so much information on here that I have actually gotten a "phobia" that all of these things are actually going to happen to my car. Granted, all cars will have some of the common problems but the more I read, the more I am looking for things that really aren't there. For example....Vanos noise.... my ears are like a stethoscope trying to listen for the tell-tale sounds.

This is a great board with a wealth of information...that is fact.
Its almost poetic you posted this because.... there is a thread for that!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...e-thank-my-fellow-board-members-paranoia.html

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Please dont get upset and not post again. Thats not good for anyone especially your new Beast!
Yep + 1 !

Why don't you just ask your questions anyway, now that you have broken the ice :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
PPI will not find many of the problems with these cars!! They will find the "obvious", brakes, tires, rust, body damage, under body damage, suspension damage, possibly clutch.

What the PPI will most likely not find are things like the following (unless of course you find someone who has owned a BMW/E39 doing the PPI.

Headlight adjusters WILL be broken
Headlight and fog light lens will be pitted, headlights may be hazing
Reclining seats WILL have at least 1 bad cable
Rear sway bar brackets WILL be broken or recently replaced
Suspension bushings WILL need replacement, thrust arm bushings, rear bushings, unless they have been previously replaced.
Driveline/driveshaft issues, Guibio, Center Bearing, CV joints
Differential seal leaks
Secondary Air Pump and check valve WILL need replacement, you should hear my dieing animal when I start the car cold!!
Drivers side seat belt may not retract correctly, more likely when cold
Power steering hose leaks
Thermostat
Fan clutch
Oil return hoses probably soft
Bent wheels
Leaky inner door seals, only if someone has had a door panel off for a window motor or door lock actuator
Sloppy shifter, usually bushing need replacement
Heater fan squeaking
Driver seat foam worn and compressed
Windshield washer pumps leaking
Wheel bearings
Rear sun shade guides WILL be broken, side sun shades will be torn and/or have broken clips.
Oil pan drain hole may be stripped or close to being stripped, look for leaks and/or non OEM drain plug
Just plan on replacing the battery unless they can show it is less than 2 years old!

jfoj - thanks this is great info...now gotta go and update the checklist :M5launch:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts