BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to European Car Magazine, the M5, as well as other 5 series, "will get more protruding, much thicker chrome front grille BMW kidneys; new headlights with a projector/reflector technique carried in a chrome casing; side indicators of reduced height and brighter orange color; body color side bumpers; new rear light clusters with diamond technique and repositioned reverse lights".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does the '01 M5 still have Xenon headlamps? I seem to remember an earlier post that brought this into question.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dealer told me today that the navigation will be on 16:9 screen, that you'll be able to have minidisc and/or CD in front.

--> He said that the normal halogen front lights will have a new look, BUT THAT THE ACTUAL XENON WILL REMAIN ABSOLUTELY THE SAME. MOREOVER THE HALOGEN RELIFTING WILL BE WITHOUT SCALLOPED LIGHTS ! All E39 will get oval front downlights as the M5 already has.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hey Tom,

Good post, does anyone know where a pic of the facelift can be found. Corporate said they would be "presenting" the 5 series facelift in July.

Must be somewhere.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Gustav,

This looks like the headlights will not have the scalloped effect like the three and seven and a little paint will update existing M5's black strips.

What do you think? Will it be worth it?

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thinks there's any chance that the new 6.5" NAV unit will be an Alpine, the addition of MiniDisc and a 6.5" 16:9 screen is consistent with several Alpine units, notably the IVA-C800. At least some OEM version of that system would be sweet.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Will the rear tail lights be of the LED varity? I understand the new garage door opener will be standard equipment. Is the all leather option not being offered for 2001? I absolutly hate the material used on the rear deck area behind the seats. Everything adhears to it like sticky tape. It is very difficult to remove anything that gets back there. I also understand that there may be one new additional color available for 2001. Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually have no idea as to what the new color may be... but personally... I would like to see Phoenix Yellow as one of the options. That, and a Black and Yellow interior would look pretty decent and appeal to those owners who would like to be known.

- matt -

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I just saw the 2001 brochure at the dealer and just as Gustav said no scalloped headlights. With the exception of the body color rubber on the front, sides and back it is hard to distinquish. Now this was the 5 not the M5. Because the M5 has a large front spoiler the effect of painted rubber up there would be to make the front end look bigger. Having the trim painted if possible would be an easy and inexpense upgrade. However, it may look better the way it is. The material they use on the existing fives is rough and may not lend itself to paint. If it were smooth it would. The rest of the changes for the M5 are insignificant to this.

I don't know about you but I'm glad the didn't do the scalloped lights. My wife has a five and she would be disappointed..

My car is due end of nest week.

Titanium/red sportive. Has anyone seen titanium with red, I haven't. What were your impressions.

------------------
Jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
I just saw the 2001 brochure at the dealer and just as Gustav said no scalloped headlights. With the exception of the body color rubber on the front, sides and back it is hard to distinquish. Now this was the 5 not the M5. Because the M5 has a large front spoiler the effect of painted rubber up there would be to make the front end look bigger. Having the trim painted if possible would be an easy and inexpense upgrade. However, it may look better the way it is. The material they use on the existing fives is rough and may not lend itself to paint. If it were smooth it would. The rest of the changes for the M5 are insignificant to this.

I don't know about you but I'm glad the didn't do the scalloped lights. My wife has a five and she would be disappointed..

My car is due end of nest week.

Titanium/red sportive. Has anyone seen titanium with red, I haven't. What were your impressions.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Jim-

Re: "I just saw the 2001 brochure at the dealer and just as Gustav said no scalloped headlights. With the exception of the body color rubber on the front, sides and back it is hard to distinquish. Now this was the 5 not the M5. Because the M5 has a large front spoiler the effect of painted rubber up there would be to make the front end look bigger. Having the trim painted if possible would be an easy and inexpense upgrade. However, it may look better the way it is."

The bmwusa.com site provides a front view of the M5 in the color of your choice. I screen captured this front view in Titanium Silver and then using a low-end Photoshop wantabe did some quick, crude editing of the black rubber front bumper strips to make them Titanium Silver like the rest of the body work. I think the change will give the front a less cluttered look. It could be a net improvement. We'll see.

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts