BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but it's not all in one place on this forum, and at some times it's clear as mud. Here are some of the threads that pop up when searching for 'hid fog' and 'hid foglight'

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/139256-hid-problems-pls-help.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/129922-hid-foglights-possessed.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/129334-foglight-warning.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/101422-installed-my-hids-last-night-my-fogs-3.html

Some people are having issues with bulb out warnings and flickering lights after upgrading to HIDs, and on several threads, it's been suggested to add resistors to trick the LCM or use capacitors to reduce the strobing. I toiled with this issue for weeks with my sister's E46 M3, as well. Now that I have my own E39 to tinker with, I believe I have found the most elegant solution. BTW, Momentum BMW in Southwest Houston wanted $270 to reprogram the LCM, hahahahhah.

I didn't like the idea of putting a bandaid on a cut that won't heal. The 'problem' is with the LCM itself. Again, this may be common knowledge, but my searches doesn't categorize IBUS as the proper fix for HID foglight problems.

Here's the LCM page of NavCoder ... this kicks *** because it worked on my Windows 7 x64 notebook computer. I'm tempted to get a Dell Mini netbook just for in-car stuff. Best of all, Dell calls theirs "Alpine White" also.

For those who are stumbling on this with no prior knowledge about IBUS: IBUS Interface for BMW cars
What sucks is my HackTheIBus Yahoo Group membership still hasn't been approved. It's been a month since I requested :p

Here's the hardware part of IBus. I removed my center console and stripped the Motorola StarTac components from it. One side of the harness I made is the StarTac's center console wiring, the other side of the harness is from the plug off a computer fan.

I removed all of the pins from the plug and repinned three at the new appropriate locations. The vehicle side has the appropriate wire colors, the Moto-side were all whack. FYI IBus is always on a white wire with grey stripe and yellow dots. I found the appropriate ground and +12v so all you have to do is copy my repinning at the Moto-end.

One side BMW / Moto harness, the other side Dell computer fan plug :biggrin:
Custom IBus harness:
  • Brown and Black are joined to be Ground
  • White is IBus
  • Orange & Red are +12v
The wires are twisted together, soldered, then covered with heat shrink tubing

Resler's V5 board with my Dell fan plug ... use whatever fits

The easy part is using any PnP HID kit. No fancy schmancy resistor pack or special code-free ($$$) kit. Here are the slim digital 50w ballasts.

Just your typical MY02 Alpine White E39 M5 with no CHECK FRONT FOGLIGHT errors or discotec strobing. I hope this puts it all together for some of you.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Thanks for the helpful info! :M5thumbs:

Dave

·
Registered
12,805 Posts
Primeral
So if I understand correctly, you can reprogram the LCM with your 'hack the ibus setup"? If so, then it could be used, for say, recoding for a rear foglight to properly display on the instrument cluster??
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Primeral
So if I understand correctly, you can reprogram the LCM with your 'hack the ibus setup"? If so, then it could be used, for say, recoding for a rear foglight to properly display on the instrument cluster??
Regards,
Jerry
Theoretically yes

I also have a license plate bulb out, and I was tired of it reminding me. I'll get to it when I get to it, I have temporary tags on there right now anyway ... so I removed the "Number Plate Light" check and it stopped bothering me. For that it has worked perfectly.

When you say "recoding for a rear foglight to properly display on the cluster" what exactly do you mean? I'm not familiar with the rear foglight features, I'm still pretty new to BMWs

·
Registered
622 Posts
Btw, I bought the DDM tuning 35W HID system for the fogs. I havent got a warning until one of my Fogs started blinking on and off. It not blinks every time it is on. Any thoughts? DDM service is awful. He told me to switch the ballast and seemed anoyed that I had called.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, I bought the DDM tuning 35W HID system for the fogs. I havent got a warning until one of my Fogs started blinking on and off. It not blinks every time it is on. Any thoughts? DDM service is awful. He told me to switch the ballast and seemed anoyed that I had called.

From what I have read here, that's your LCM doing cold monitoring. If you can find someone in your area to turn that off for you, try that and let us know what happens

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From what I have read here, that's your LCM doing cold monitoring. If you can find someone in your area to turn that off for you, try that and let us know what happens
Does the LCM just report error codes or does it actually play a part in turning off the foglight? I am having the same problem and am curious if it's the LCM that's reporting the error and then turning the one fog light out or if it's a problem with the ballast?

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Does the LCM just report error codes or does it actually play a part in turning off the foglight? I am having the same problem and am curious if it's the LCM that's reporting the error and then turning the one fog light out or if it's a problem with the ballast?
The LCM is the Light Control Module. It controls all functions of the lights in your vehicle: on/off, testing for burnout conditions, etc.

·
Registered
12,805 Posts
Theoretically yes

When you say "recoding for a rear foglight to properly display on the cluster" what exactly do you mean? I'm not familiar with the rear foglight features, I'm still pretty new to BMWs

U.S. cars only come with front fog lights, not rear fog lights.

If I add a rear foglight and a euro 2 position foglight switch, will recoding the LCM allow the rear foglight icon to display on the dash? From what I am reading, it should be able to do so by checking the "rear foglight" box.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think those "code eliminators" are simply resistor packs, probably a capacitor to help with flickering, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adding resistors should fool the LCM into thinking it has an actual halogen bulb in the circuit, but I think it's a bandaid fix. I think a small amount of people still have issues after installing these, as well. You can pay $40+shipping for these or have someone recode your LCM for a beer :)

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
I think those "code eliminators" are simply resistor packs, probably a capacitor to help with flickering, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adding resistors should fool the LCM into thinking it has an actual halogen bulb in the circuit, but I think it's a bandaid fix. I think a small amount of people still have issues after installing these, as well. You can pay $40+shipping for these or have someone recode your LCM for a beer :)
You are correct. In addition, they defeat some of the purpose of HID's such as lower power consumption and less heat. Every watt improves you gas mileage :)

d-

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have re-encoded my LCM with both cold and normal modes NOT to monitor my fogs. I upgraded with DDM Hid Fogs. I added resistors from Radio Shack, and still get the Check Fog Light Error. PLEASE HELP>!(*@&%)(*&#@_59

·
Registered
32 Posts
As stated above, buy the HID error cancellers from DDM, plug them in, and the fogs will work with no issues.

Edit: Noticed you're in NJ, PMing you.

Edit again: Can't, don't have enough posts. I have a set for you, text me at 201-477-8150. Dunno where in NJ you are, but I'm in Bergen County...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts