BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've compiled a list of issues I've had in my 3 months of ownership. Bottom line is this car was not properly CPO'd. I'll disclose more information as time passes. I'm in the process of trying to have this car bought back and to purchase a new M5. A case is open with BMW. I'll know in a few days if the car will be bought back. If not, I think it's time to hire a lawyer.
  • Smoker car (cigars?) - was told a non-smoker car and the smell was covered up.
  • Right rear quarter panel and rear bumper re-painted (minor accident?)
  • Right rear door molding hitting front door molding causing door to stick The door is simply mis-aligned (repaint/accident?)
  • Right rear floor pan accumulates water (due to misaligned door)
  • Rear sway bar brackets cracked - replaced under warranty
  • Antenna amp defective - replaced under warranty
  • Nav screen has dead pixel - replaced under warranty
  • Right rear window regulator defective - replaced under warranty<O:p</O:p
  • No emergency brake pads (metal to metal) - replaced $900 pending reimbursement<O:p</O:p
  • Right front headrest defective (pulls straight out) - pending warranty
  • Right rear speaker blown - pending warranty
  • Clutch slipping at high rpm's - warranty ???

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Was the rear sway bar cracked? Or the sway bar bracket? There's a signficant difference.

Looking at the items you list a fair amount are centered on the right rear of the car. I would imagine it could have had a fair impact there - try getting it assessed by a good bodyshop.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well I know the regulators in the rear are prone to go. Mine went and alot of others too. The headrest, you ar the second person I know to have that happen.

I would say that everything from the sway bar brackets down should be expected on these vehicles, some maybe not so soon. Everything up from that point should be taken up with a lawyer. I find that when a lawyer gets involved things tend to move that much quicker. This is probably the second salvage vehicle sold as a CPO that I know of. Another was a fellow 5 series owner over at Roadfly. She got them to buy it back fairly quickly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
just had my rear passenger side bracket go awol. It happens....but some of that stuff including the water and body damage is enough that I would not want that car. Try to get them to take it back for something else.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greco said:
This is probably the second salvage vehicle sold as a CPO that I know of. Another was a fellow 5 series owner over at Roadfly. She got them to buy it back fairly quickly.
Carfax was clean for what it's worth. I also bought it from the same dealership that sold the car. Just goes to show you can't be too careful.

·
Registered
511 Posts
boostmiser said:
Carfax was clean for what it's worth. I also bought it from the same dealership that sold the car. Just goes to show you can't be too careful.
Well then I would 1) have BMW buy it back, and 2) take up Carfax on their guarantee, I believe its $5000, and put that towards a few mods on the next M5.

·
Registered
439 Posts
car fax is for frame or flood damage only..
not minor accidents.
thats why i say call your insurance company, they can take the vin and tell you if any "paid outs" have been done on the car and in some cases give you the list of parts replaced

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Greco said:
This is probably the second salvage vehicle sold as a CPO that I know of. Another was a fellow 5 series owner over at Roadfly. She got them to buy it back fairly quickly.
Unless I misunderstood, I didn't see anyone mention this was a bonafide "salvage title" vehicle. boostmiser says the carfax is clean. Some residual body damage causing water leaks (as described by the owner) could be from a $3K fender-bender (or less). Vehicle are seldom given a "Salvage Title" designation unless the vehicle is totalled (damages approach 50% of retail value). These cars are typically auctioned by a dealer, salvage yeard or insurance company as "rebuildable" with a legal, salvage title paper trail. It is doubtful that the insurance company will even report minor body repairs to the state, so the title on this car is probably clean. It is rare to see a salvage title on a 5 series because they have such high retail value. Any $50K car with a salvage title should be avoided like the plague.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just because its a CPO car, does that mean that the dealership and BMW exclude cars that may have had previous minor collision? If that is something in the contract and you signed something agreeing, I dont see how they will buy your car back. I am not defending them, this sucks, however maybe check this out? From your description it seems your car was smacked on rear pass. side.

There are LOTS of cars with super clean car fax that were in collisions some minor and some needing lots of repair. Anyone thinking CarFax is all 100% accurate info fooling themselves.

Good luck I hope you can win. (David vs. Goliath)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fact that even a minor accident can cause such problems just tells me that there needs to be more disclosure on the history of cars. A central database where dealers / body shops / etc can record any and all accident related work preformed on a car. Dealers and consumers can then access the database and used car prices can be set accordingly. Record numbers of used cars are being sold and there are no doubt tons of accident related defects...that were never disclosed to the buyer. So much for consumer protection. And true, I should have scrutinized the car more.

ps. The car radio went dead this morning on my way to work. When it rains, it pours. Anyhow, I shut the car off and restarted. The radio came back on. Whewww.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
boostmiser said:
ps. The car radio went dead this morning on my way to work. When it rains, it pours. Anyhow, I shut the car off and restarted. The radio came back on. Whewww.
Sounds like you are looking for problems now. That's a normal 'feature'. ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Unless the dealership knew about the damage and lied to you about it... I'm not sure why they would be obliged to buy back your vehicle. I know that I got into a very minor accident once a couple years ago. Having a high deductible, I decided to foot the bill myself. These types of incidents will never show up in a Car fax report since nothing was reported to an insurance company.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with the car... hopefully, the dealership will work to fix everything under CPO warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Go to another dealer and ask for the cars history of repair orders.
Just have the vin number with you.
You should get every thing that the dealers have done on that car from port enter.

·
Registered
654 Posts
unfortunately it sounds as if the car you purchased might have been driven pretty hard and not cared for properly. i hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction. for the rest of us, this is another good story to illustrate the buyer beware principle

ernie

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hey Boost,

I know you bought this car sight unseen, but did you hire an inspection company to look over the vehicle before purchase?

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to buy an out of state car and I want to know which is the best national inspection service to check a car out.

Anybody have any good recommendations?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
greer said:
Hey Boost,

I know you bought this car sight unseen, but did you hire an inspection company to look over the vehicle before purchase?

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to buy an out of state car and I want to know which is the best national inspection service to check a car out.

Anybody have any good recommendations?
No one looked it over until a month later when I too it in for some warranty items. Keep in mind the carfax on this M5 was clean. I was given the service history and called my local dealer to discuss it. Turned up clean. You would think the car was taken care of based that plus the dealers comments. Hah, not quite. You really have to inspect the car for damage. You'll never catch everything.

Add to the list the right front headrest is motor broken ouich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts