BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, wonder if anyone can help, i bought some funky flat bladed wipers and attempted to fit them last night.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260240918820&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016
supposed to be a direct replacement, but it didnt pan out like that!
passenger one on in 30 seconds, but i came across problems with the drivers side. :evil: :roll: :roll: :lol:
as you can see in the pic below the 'hook' is the wrong way round on the drivers side, which isnt a problem on the BMW wiper as the hook fitment is offset. however on the new blades the hook fitment is directly on top of the blade so if you do fit it that way round the blade is under an odd pressure and only 2 thirds of it touch the screen.

if you fit it upside down it fits perfectly, but i'm sure this wont give me optimum wipeage :lol: :lol:
had a quick look at the wiper arm and its not possible to turn the arm over as its part of the whole linkage.

so, where have i gone wrong?
is the arm a different shape because i've got a different engine to the majority? (can't imagine wipers are a bespoke part for V8s?)
or is there another set of wipers i can buy to make a 'pair'?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
They don't fit - and if you bought them off ebay like I did the seller will offer to send you a replacement Bosch (normal style) one if you return the flat one. Unfortunately returning the flat one will cost more than throwing it to one side to use as a spare.

I've told one or two of the sellers on ebay to stop describing them as compatible with the e34, but they're not doing anything about it. Maybe I need to order another pair and then leave negative feedback when they don't fit!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks - as long as its not me!! :)

was thinking about trying the passenger one for size on the drivers side, then buying another passenger side arm...? anyone tried that?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Have seen it mentioned before, but don't know anyone who's actually done/tried it.

I know the arms are different shapes and the way the connect to the spindles are different, but that's about it.

The other option would be to cut & weld the piece on the other way up?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
One of the ebay sellers has responded by saying there are two tyres of wiper arm on the e34, some are inverted and some are not (I've heard stranger things, but it could be bull).

Anyone know of any e34 with non-inverted driver's (right hand) wiper arm that we can get a part number off?

·
Registered
431 Posts
One of the ebay sellers has responded by saying there are two tyres of wiper arm on the e34, some are inverted and some are not (I've heard stranger things, but it could be bull).

Anyone know of any e34 with non-inverted driver's (right hand) wiper arm that we can get a part number off?

I actually thought only the E34s with the pressure adjusting motor had an inverted driver's side arm - not having access to a car without this feature i can't be sure though.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I actually thought only the E34s with the pressure adjusting motor had an inverted driver's side arm - not having access to a car without this feature i can't be sure though.
I'll have to investigate that :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've got a spare one anyway, so might as well try this tonight.

From my limited experience of the passenger's side flexi-blade and the driver's side Bosch blade, the flexi-blade works much better at high-speeds in the 'damp'.

Unfortunately the wiper arm worked loose on the way down this week - luckily it was the passenger one and I didn't really need it. Just quick tighten of the bolt and I was off again. Although it sounds like the spindle is worn and over-tightening it won't help.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Well, I tried the 'modification' to the flexi-blade to get it to fit.

The arm threads through the blade now, but you cannot get the centre clip on as the part that clips into the blade has 4 longer bits on that need to go down & past the arm.

I took these little bits of plastic off and the arm fitted fine and even snapped into place on the blade.

Unfortunately a quick test of the wiper function shows there is insufficient pressure to keep the blade on the windscreen and you end up with a blade that does nothing but move across the screen with two 1cm areas being cleaned at either end.

Never mind - maybe the 'other BMW arm' is the only solution?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts