BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week, I got my first door ding. Only, this was no ordinary door ding...it was intentional. How do I know this, you might ask? Because one of my co-workers witnessed the whole thing right outside the window of his office. My car is parked just outside the building, less than 10 feet from the window. My co-worker witnessed the guy getting into the work truck passenger door, and intentionally slamming it into my drivers door.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I guess the guy is lucky that I didn't see him, or I would have slammed his head against his hood :mad: :mad: :mad:

So my co-worker, being the detail oriented person that he is (as are most engineers) writes down the license plate number, the name of the company on the side of the truck, and a few other details (description of the guy, etc.)

I called the company to see if we could discuss the matter. I got some serious attitude from the RECEPTIONIST! :mad:

I'm trying to be as polite as possible. She denies everything and says they had nothing to do with it...They will talk to their workers and get back to me in a couple of hours. I wait two days, then call my insurance company.

The estimate for fixing the dent and repainting (the dent is at the front edge of the door, which will require blending into the front fender as well) is over $1k. The company who owns the truck filed a counter claim saying that they weren't there, and that they rarely have two people in one truck...I must be mistaken...

If they are found to be at fault, my insurance company will refund my deductible, but because there's a counter claim, they will not likely go after them (small claims I guess). At this point, the only reason I want to go after them is to save some other poor M5 (or any other high-end automobile) from this degenerates actions.

So here's my dillema:

The dent is pretty small, vertical near the front edge of the door. I think that a detailer could polish out the white paint left by the door of the white truck...Do I:

1) Pay the deductible, get the work done, and hope the insurance company goes after the jerk...
2) Pay the deductible, get the work done, and go after the guy myself...
3) figure that it's the first of a few that are inevitable and consider it a badge of honor

My biggest concern about having the work done is how well the rework will hold up over time. The body shop guy sounds like he knows what he's doing, but who knows...

HELP!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ouch!
Well, my instant advice is to dent your bumper with the guy's shins.
Count to ten, then dispense real advice...
I have a friend in Boston who's currently going through a very similar situation with his '75 Vette (be glad the Beast isn't fiberglass!). What's been getting him the furthest is good ol'-fashioned persistence. You should be able to find someone at that company with a kinder heart than the driver and the receptionist (perhaps the president). From what it sounds like, they know they did it, and you just need to get them to admit it. I'd go after 'em myself. More satisfying that way. Let your insurance company worry about fixing the car.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Oh man, this would piss me off! Seems to me if the guy was driving a company vehicle you could go after his company as well. You might be well advised to seek legal council just so you start off on the right path, and are aware of all your options. In th emean while stay calm, but deliberate, and keep a journal of what is done/said and by who.

I also wouldn't let just anyone fix the damage. Surely you can find a referal or two to a quality body shop-- probably right here on this board. Sorry dude.... good luck.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
first of all you have to get the owner of that company on the phone and explain, I mean go right to the top.

I would keep insurance out if possible, INMHO.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Fast6 said:
Ouch!
Well, my instant advice is to dent your bumper with the guy's shins.
Count to ten, then dispense real advice...
9,999 , 10,000. grrrrrrr Nope I'd better keep counting on this one.

I hear your pain M-funf.:crying:

If I ever saw someone do that to a vehicle, I would turn Green and the shirt would start ripping off my back, Like the incredible Hulk. If anyone is old enough to remember that show.

I'm not going to give advise on this one, cause if you took it, you'd get locked up. :cheers:

10,001 , 10,002. Nope I'm still steamed about it, and its not even my car.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Oh, did I mention that after he smashed his door into my car and looked at the damage that he LAUGHED. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yup, you heard that right...He LAUGHED!grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

I'm thinking that I'll probably get it fixed, but I'm really concerned about the longevity of the redone paint...anybody else have experience with repainting and blending???

Doug: I keep a journal of almost everything I do (I'm strange that way). I take names, numbers, make detailed notes, etc. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
sorry to hear that Jeff

Your insurance compny will likely take yr deductible and "write off" the balance.. That happened to me where my damage was approx $1k, deductible was 500.. so insurance paid, but were only in the hole for 500. It is not worth their time to stuggle over that amt of cash.

Get a lawyer, write the president of the company a letter, detailing witness accounts and ask for a meeting.

I hope the guilty Ahole will have to admit his actions...

Like Mark says.. 10,010.... 10,1011....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Intentional acts are not accidents

Jeff,
Insurance companies usually handle collisions which are unintentional acts. An intentional act is a crime.

An example of this would be if you were driving down the street and you served to avoid a kid riding his bicycle into the street from behind a car and you end up hitting your neighbor's parked car. This would be an unintentional act and labeled as a collision. You did not commit a crime.

Sescond example is if you and your neighbor have been feuding for years and you decide (intentionally) to back into his car parked in the street. It's witnessed by a third party that lays it out that shows you had intent, by saying you were looking straight back at your neighbor's car as you backed up and then accelerated your POS beater ONE ton truck with a step bumper made from a section of railroad rail. You ram his new Audi RS6 front door and destroy hit. You get out of your truck laughing and comply with the law by leaving your information on the Audi or contact your neighbor. In this case, you commited a crime (vandalism) because it was an intentional act. The act of vandalism in any case over $400 damage would be a felony and would not require you to do a private person's arrest, unlike a midemeanor.

The way I heard your story told by your co-worker, the workman commited an intentional act (crime) and it's a felony if your estimates are correct.

My advice is for you to get all the estimates, witness, your vehicle, information about the company together back at the location where the crime occurred and call the local police for a vandalism report. the witness should be albe to identify the idiot that did your door.

It's important that you have all of that at the location for the officer to take an accurate report to investigate what happened. Tell him you are desireous of prosecuting the idiot and also want restitution. You can get both without involving your insurance company and having to pay the deductible upfront.

An investigation from the police deparment will open the eyes of the idiot that he can't go around doing this and will probably get him on summary probation if it's his first offense.

Let me know shat happens.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have a couple hours to spend then take the B.. to small claims court. You are very likely to prevail and if no one shows up from his side you should win by default.
Good luck!

·
Registered
274 Posts
3 suggestions
1. dont talk to the receptionist what does that beyotch know, or have any authority to do, zilch
2. Call the police, to report the act, it is "criminal damage to property"
3. Try paintless dent removal, may cost you $100 at most and might not require any repainting

well 4. I never told you, and recommend against this but i have heard of people getting pissed off and doing things like this, go to the company and drop roofing nails all over their parking lot, stick superglue and toothpicks into all their door locks, and then get a pair of metal cutters or tin snips from hard ware store, cut off all the valve stems from their truck tires
there, you get even without damaging anyones paintwork thus you have not any bad car karma upon you
do it unto others before they do it unto you

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree re: THe paintless dent removal.

Some of those guys are VERY good. Can you post a pic perhaps?

And, I also agree, I would make a police report, and report it as criminal destruction of property.

If it were me, I would take this way too far... I'd be subpeonaing (sp?) the company for the driver's name and suing them all.

But then I am a bit of a jerk at times ;)

Bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just hope we arent too late. puhleeze, dont let the body shop touch your beast until someone has at least tried paintless dent removal

·
Registered
118 Posts
The good news is that most any aftermarket paint job will hold up better than the factories, IMHO as the BMW factory paint is soft. Those with black paint can really attest to it. It scratches easily and swirls even easier. I would be much more worried about fade so their ability to color match is key. If your car is exposed to hot sun frequently, fade or color change potential is increased.

If you have black paint its a cake walk if not make sure you have a shop that can computer match and has a good eye. You can judge a good shop by the quality of cars in for repair.

A heated booth for rapid curing is almost (not totally) essential. The shop I use has a heated booth, which is designed to bring the room to a high temperature to cure and harden the paint. You should have similarly equipped shop in your area.

I have had my cars bumpers re-done and a ding removed and you would never know it. It looks perfect and holds up better.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree that aftermarket paint can be more durable, but paintless dent removal avoids all the color match problems, takes onl half hour or less and youavoid any chance of mismatch and the texture of the paint finish doesnt change

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paintless dent removal

First, I would like to thank everyone for their input. It has helped me a TON in this process.

I went to the paintless dent removal guys. They both told me the same thing...the dent is too close to the front edge of the door to remove with their methods. They both said it wasn't worth trying.
:crying2:

I did file a police report, and filed a claim with my insurance company. The police have contacted the company :hihi: My insurance company will go after the perpetrator for the whole amount. I asked if they really would since the amount was pretty small, and my claims rep said that they go after EVERY claim, especially when it is clearly the other parties fault. When the police and my insurance claim representative contacted the company, the company said they weren't even there, and had nothing to do with this (cooperative as usual). The case is now in arbitration. I have spoken to the arbitrator, as have the witness and the police. The only thing that might cause a problem is that I know the witness (co-worker).

It looks like it will all be taken care of in the next couple of weeks. There may need to be an ID for the person who did the act, but both the insurance claim rep and the police said that was unlikely.

Although I have a couple more questions for the body shop (thanks, slief) I feel pretty comfortable with their expertise. He explained everything that they would do to repair the dent, and it seemed to be reasonable.

Now I just have to find a good time to bring the beast in for the work. I don't know if I can bear to be without it for 5 days!!! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Again, thanks to all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts