BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this question is a little for me and for one of my friends. I have been possibly looking at the option of an E60 M5 in the next year or so, prices are just too good. Also, finally got one of my friends interested in BMWs again, and he was looking at getting a newer 335i w/Sport package and probably a few other options, and definitely a manual. Seems like a good one will run about 26-30k with half-way decent miles. I told him that if he was looking at that price range, and was also maybe willing to throw a few grand more in, he could be getting into an M5. Now, the one thing is that he's worried about the cost of maintaining an M5 vs. the 335i, and I guess I would be interested in it too. How would the cost of these two compare? Is there a large difference? Other than the occasional SMG issue that seems to pop up, it seems that the M5s are fairly reliable. Is this a fair assumption? Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Honestly I think the engine in the 335i goes better with the auto gearbox, I never liked the "short" first gear in the 335i

M5 is in a totally another level in every aspect including costs, there are many posts on this .....brake jobs are 2K, tires are almost 2K, factor the price of gas and you get the picture...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maintaining the M5 is the most underestimated costs in any car that you can purchase. The 335 is a regular car with ordinary maintenance. The M5 is a supercar that needs special attention and everything on it costs a fortune. The oil changes alone are $150 each.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I made the jump from a 335 to M5. The feeling you get behind the wheel of an M5 is amazing, but like others have mentioned... you need to be prepared for the "other" costs of an M5 (gas, maintenance, mods, warranty, etc.).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just bought my M5 after 4 years of 335i ownership. Wouldn't touch an M5 without CPO or BMW extended warranty. Other than the cost of ownership and fuel the car is 100% better than the 335; more room, more power, more luxury, more technology...I love it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Funny you should ask this question. I just got my 36k mile service done today. Dropped it off at the stealers at 9am and they asked me what type of car I wanted for a loaner. I was a bit surprised as they generally refuse to give me a loaner as they say the service needs to be above 4 hours. Ended up giving me a 6 speed 328i coupe. I also told him about the mods I have and he said not a problem, should not affect anything. (This is a new SA and I think he is a keeper). The 328i was a lot of fun to drive and the 6 speed was superb, very good action on the clutch and shifter and it was fun to be able to heel and toe again. However, it was definitely lacking in power compared with my M5. Also, couldn't figure out how to take off the traction control (its a bit wet out today so thought I would have some fun).

Well they called me 6 hours later to tell me the car is ready. I get to the stealers and they said it was being washed so I waited in the showroom. I have to say it was weird but I kept looking out the window to see where my car was and I could feel my heart beating faster. I was actually missing my car and getting excited to get it back again. Then they called my name and I went to the counter to pay. Here is the difference between owning a regular car and a supercar like the M5, $1800 for 36k mile service. 13mpg average which means $100 per week on gas for my 40miles per day commute.

The cost of ownership is definitely higher than normal cars, even most luxury cars. However, once I got back in the M5, I knew this was the car for me. This is the car that I'm keeping for a long time. I got it warmed up and got on the freeway, hit the loud pedal in 3rd gear at 60mph and the beast just accelerates like nothing else. In no time at all I'm in the triple digits with the wife telling me to slow down. I love that sensation. The interior is so much more luxurious than the 3 series, the alcantara roof lining, the leather lined dash and door panels, everything just oozes quality. The feel at speed is so solid and steady, even at over 100mph, it feels like it's cruising at 50mph. The 3 series just cannot compare.

Anyways, if you are considering a 335i or a M5, I know what I would get. I love my car.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
M5s are more expensive to maintain for sure....make sure you get an extended warranty (and maybe negotiate to get extended maintenance if you are buying through a BMW dealership). However, the M5 is worlds better in every way. The 335i is a fun car, but it does not have the pin-you-to-your-seat factor, perfect steering, unique options (head-up display and active side bolsters come to mind), and much more that the 335i does not offer.

If he can swing it, the M5 is a better car by a huge margin.

afc1

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
335i is a lot of fun

That being said, the M5 is better in all respects except 3. Mpg, repairs costs and looks. The 335i coupe is by far so much better looking. The 335i sedan though is not. Looks wise the M5 beats the 335i sedan.

The trannies in the 335i are much better suited to city driving, the SMG blows in that regard. The SMG is more fun than the 335i auto though. The downshift are great.

Another thing the 335i has is easy&cheap modding. With $500 you can make the car go as fast 0-100 as a stock M5.

·
Registered
216 Posts
335i is a nice car. But if you are considering it, I would also consider it's competitor - the Audi S4 with an LSD. I have driven both and the Audi looks and feels better inside and outside (completely subjective) and drives sportier. 335i is just a fast 3-series IMHO, a very nice car for a mom. And there is nothing wrong with that. :) I have driven both 335i and S4 (for a decent amount of time, as loaners) and this is just my opinion.

After driving M cars though, I can't settle for less. Porsche 911 is the only car I have driven that talks to me more. But it all depends on priorities and preferences - what does your friend need and want? If he likes to mod and add power, M is not the way to go. For me, I like the feedback and responsiveness more than just pure speed and track numbers. I bought the M5 because I found out I also like comfort, practicality and insane power numbers as well. M5 is a great balance of all of those. :)

M5 will cost a lot more to maintain, but 335i will cost more to maintain than a Civic, as well. For my E46 M3 $1500 was the magic maintenance number (for a brake job, tires, inspections - they all cost around $1500 each), and for the M5 $2000 seems to be it. I am not sure what it would be for the 335i - my guess is around $1000. A lot can be saved if he is a DIYer.

Reactions: evan 535

·
Registered
550 Posts
That being said, the M5 is better in all respects except 3. Mpg, repairs costs and looks. The 335i coupe is by far so much better looking. The 335i sedan though is not. Looks wise the M5 beats the 335i sedan.

The trannies in the 335i are much better suited to city driving, the SMG blows in that regard. The SMG is more fun than the 335i auto though. The downshift are great.

Another thing the 335i has is easy&cheap modding. With $500 you can make the car go as fast 0-100 as a stock M5.

You just named like 5 things lol. Don't forget to add that the 335i makes more power in the low-mid rpm range than the M5 does, and I'll go so far to say it's a bit more nimble. My M5 feels like a boat.

If you're on the fence, consider the M3 as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
335 = regular car
m5 = supercar

u choose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently went through this same situation. Price point only,... these cars are comparable. For the same money you can get a newer 335i or a 2006-07 M5. Thing is they are completly different in every other aspect besides the BMW logo. No dought the maintance cost is much higher on the M5. I live in a smaller city where 335i's are very common and you hardly ever see E60 M5's. Plus the M5 has near supercar performance given its hefty weight..... the choice was a no brainer for me. M5

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow thanks so much guys, really appreciate it, once again you guys show you're one of the best groups of guys on the net. I appreciate all this a ton.

I knew the maintenance costs would be somewhat of a hang-up, he could most likely afford it although no one exactly enjoys paying for maintenance. I guess too one thing I would mention is that he is more of a DIY guy, things like oil, tires, filters, probably brakes, and most mods would all be things he would do. He does like to mod his cars, although usually hasn't had something at the level of the M5. I think he would be probably be interested in springs, exhaust, and a tune, maybe intake too. All easy and (relatively) cheap to do, and all that turns these things into pretty much near-exotic performers. All these things are things he does all the time on other cars, and wouldn't have a problem DIYing them. In terms of cost to maintain, how much could be saved? I mean, it seems like most of the cost of maintenance for these does come from the labor; oil is cheap, so are filters, tires are about 1k a set, and I'm sure brakes are expensive but pads are cheap. I'm guessing the DIY cost of an M5 wouldn't be bad at all. Again guys, I appreciate it so much, this is a lot more comprehensive of a response then I expected. And of course, there is no comparison between a 335i and an M5 in terms of performance, although the 335 is a cheap thrill compared to it. I think I could get him hooked on the sound and the speed though. :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was in the same situation 4 mos ago. But after driving both cars the choice was easy. The M5 is the superior car in every aspect, besides 335is are way too common. I see 6-7 335Is to every M5 out here. But about that gas milage.............

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, seems like quite a few people were in the same boat...

I was looking for a new-to-me car to replace the Audi S4 Avant (sold to my little brother). I was so sure I wanted a 335i. I test drove quite a few of them, and ended up seeing A LOT of them as I'm test driving the thing. The same dealership had an 08 M5 sitting in the corner, so I took that for a spin, and LOVED it. Ended up puting a deposit down on it that day, and I am picking it up later this week (dealer had to do a few things to it first).

·
Registered
25 Posts
My thoughts are pretty simple. A 335 is a very nice little car, but it's not in the same league as the M5. No one pulls up to a 335 and says "Wow a 335", people pull up beside an M5 and go "Holy [email protected]#* an M5" My car is a modded a bit, but I have had people take pictures of my car at stop lights and video of me leaving a stop light or taking a corner. Almost every time I drive the car I either gets piece signs, thumbs up, or someone rolling their window down and wanting to talk about it. It's a pretty good feeling all in itself, then when you push the gas, use the breaks and take a few corners it's reinforced even more so. M5 all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Corinthian

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my mind the choice is obvious, although talking more to him, he seems primarily concerned about the mileage, as he puts about 25-30k miles a year on his cars, and so he is worried that there will be a possibility of some kind of catastrophic failure with the M5. It seems to me that the last car that really was a timebomb was the E34, as the S38 is delicate as hell after 100-125k, but so far it seems like most of the M stuff on the M5 is fairly reliable.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts