1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have been reading my posts
know that I have been "on the fence" about a M5 vs a E55 and to lease or buy,
Well today I decided NOT to get the M5.
Now understand this. I'm a BMW driver and would like to stay with BMW esp with the M5.
My best friend is in service at a dealer and has worked at BMW his entire working life.
BUT,the dealerthat has the M5 2000 w/ 600 mi on it insists on 82k for the car.M=Now I also understand that the car is in high demand and the wait is long,and money talks Etc,Etc,Etc..........
Well I can talk,but the car is sitting there,with 600mi on it and I'm NOT paying a dime over sticker for it!!!!!!. It could be considered a used car and sticker is fair enough.
When BMW wants to know (not that they care about me) why I switched to M Benz this is why.
I'll probally like the E55 better anyway.
Thanks to all of you who have aided me in my decision on which car and to lease or buy.
I leasing.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The car commands a high price in the market because some people know what they are getting for the $$. An E55 ain't cheap.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both great cars and you can do anything you like, but choosing between these because of price is ridiculous. One would assume if you could afford one you could afford the other.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
One could also say the Dealership left him with a bad taste in his mouth. This happens all to often. My reason for not even looking at the Mercedes was based solely on the reputation and response of the local Mercedes dealer (Star Motors). Everyone I spoke to at the dealership treated me like dirt and (refused) to answer or research any questions I had. I could not even buy their (Mercedes)bicycle from them! Ended up getting that through a catalog company in 2 days after they had kept me waiting 3 months!
In the end, it's who your most comfortable with. Obviously Mercedes is treating him well, so I can only wish RG luck.
Mark

·
Registered
911 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Mark. After dealing with a local M-B dealership and having several negative experiences I bought a used '93 525 from a BMW dealership on the North Shore. I couldn't believe the difference in the whole experience. I was treated as if I had purchased a new 750iL! Everytime I needed a loaner car, a new 528 was provided. Now, the BMW dealership bought back my 525 at a fair price and sold me my M5 at sticker!

Regardless, the E55 is a great auto-tran car, but for me the M5 is the ultimate sedan.

Enjoy your new car!

ALX

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,
I couldn't DISagree more.I know that the M5 commands $$$$$, but so does the E55.I found 2 other 2000 E55's at PRIVATE used car dealers,each with little or no mi on them and the guy was asking mid to high 80's for the cars!!!! Thats OK but I'm not going to pay it when I can go to a MB Dealership and get a car at sticker for a 2001!!!
BTW, I CAN afford to pay the 82K for the M5,but I won't. Not at a dealership I do buisness with.
The M5 lists for appox 70K and that's what I'll pay.
The E55 lists the same and that's what I"M PAYING. Big difference

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
During the 15 months I waited for my M5 I had a moment or two of indecision (or impatience), so I went and test drove an E420 4Matic, which I think was about $58k. The interior had more plastic in it than a Chrysler mini-van, and the 1st to 2nd shift was very limp. In fact, I asked the sales guy if something was wrong with the transmission; he said no, our demographics show that our customers like it like that. I told him it had a sweet motor, but I could not live with the sissy gearbox. He told me I should get a BMW if I felt that way.

I love my M5 and I paid MSRP for it, no hassle with the dealer at all.

Steve
TiAu '00

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shelby,
We are talking E55 here NOT E320/430!!
Guy's, This is ONE situation that I have encountered. My past with BMW was wonderfull.
I just think this particular dealer and some others are talking advantage of the high demand on the M5.

·
Registered
656 Posts
RG,

You've done well with the deal. Good call; no need getting screwed for the M5. I suspect the cars will soon not be able to command this premium; I know I'd be damned upset if I found a much better deal a few months after taking delivery.

My office is in White Plains; maybe we should line 'em up for a friendly drag-race after you've broken her in. I'd actually love to have a look at it sometime if you don't mind. The only E55 I've seen up-close was at the NY Auto Show and I couldn't listen to it run. For that reason I don't have a strong opinion yet, other than the fact that the engineer in me bristles at the thought of 3 valves per cylinder in a naturally-aspirated performance car. But that isn't reason enough to not like the E55.

Shelby -- I think you mean TiAg.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by RG:
Now understand this. I'm a BMW driver and would like to stay with BMW esp with the M5.
My best friend is in service at a dealer and has worked at BMW his entire working life.
BUT,the dealerthat has the M5 2000 w/ 600 mi on it insists on 82k for the car.M=Now I also understand that the car is in high demand and the wait is long,and money talks Etc,Etc,Etc..........
Well I can talk,but the car is sitting there,with 600mi on it and I'm NOT paying a dime over sticker for it!!!!!!. It could be considered a used car and sticker is fair enough.
When BMW wants to know (not that they care about me) why I switched to M Benz this is why.
Thanks to all of you who have aided me in my decision on which car and to lease or buy.
I leasing.
Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by RG:
I leasing.
Thanks
Why don't you try another BMW dealer?
Buying a E55 instead of a M5 because one dealer is worthless is like buying a Sony Stereo at one store instead of a Pioneer at the first store because the salesman the Sony place was an idiot.

/Johan
PS For all of you into High end Hifi replace Sony with Krell and Pioneer with Classé

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Still haven't gotten around to doing a burnout in the parking lot of the Mercedes dealership where the salesman looked down his nose at me for inquiring about CLK 430's...

Alps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MWM,
If your office is in W.P.then I know you drive on 684 or 287 a lot. If and when I get the black E55 I'll probally be seeing you often.
What color is your M5?? and what dealer did you get it from??

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm on 287 quite a bit. It's a titanium silver beast. If you ever take 287W from I-95 in the morning, keep your eyes open for a smokey hiding next to a bridge pillar on the left side of the road -- very sneaky; he hasn't gotten me yet

I haven't heard good things about Westchester BMW, if that's who you've been dealing with. I actually bought mine in April (after a 1-year wait, to-the-day) from a tiny dealer in Maine. It was the third one they had received.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
MWM:

If you want to get up close to an E55 you should visit Miller Motocars in Greenwich, CT. They have two silver ones.

I just put a deposit on an M5 at Competition in Greenwich. Did you get yours there?

I saw a Titanium Siver M5 on Round Hill Rd the other morning. Was that you?

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Of course you realize that the 2001 is the last year of the E55 with this body style and features. The 2002/2003 will look more like an "S". The new one will have nicer body lines and the bug eye headlights will be gone. Also the engine is rumored to be a 450hp model w/6 speed auto instead of the current 350hp w/5 speed auto. Several other this changing also. Certainly nothing wrong with the current E55 but it will look old starting next year when the new version comes out. I was in the same situation..I was trying to decide between the two cars. I ended up finding a new M5 in the exact color and options I wanted so I bought it but left my name on the E55 and switched to the 2002/03 model. Also, I got a call from the dealer that I have my name on and they had a E55 fall out and the owner of the dealership wanted 10k (but only 3-5k over for me if I wanted it..). Of course I turned it down.

Good luck with your car. I hope you do not regret waiting for the new style.

Larry

·
Registered
306 Posts
According a few sources, the new body style E class will be announced spring of 2002 as a 2003 model available in the fall of 2002. If the AMG version of the E class follows that of the C, it will just be a year or so behind the regular E most likely as a 2004 model available in the fall of 2003.

I remember reading a letter posted on the web from MB North America's AMG division a few months ago that they haven't decided whether to produce a 2002 E55 or not.

For more news, check out:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9323/w211.htm

·
Registered
656 Posts
TomC --

Thanks. I'll go take a look. It probably wasn't me the other morning; I only take Round Hill when heading north (usually on weekends).

Bought mine in ME.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
MWM,
who do you use for service if its not westchester BMW? just curious.

ME

·
Registered
656 Posts
I use Competition & Sports Cars in Greenwich. They're an authorized BMW center (although the only one I know of without "BMW" in the name).

I have mixed feelings about them. They certainly don't trip over themselves trying to take care of me, but that could be because I didn't buy it from them. My car suffered minor curb rash on a wheel while in their hands, but you can only tell from about 2" away. They also put 16 miles on during the 1200 mile service, which strikes me as being a bit much for a routine road test, but it wasn't worth bitching about.

All in all, it was better not buying from them because I got the car 6 months before I would have. But I've heard that they treat their customers very well, so next time I may place the order with them so as to get better service.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
thanks. have you ever tried westchester? I know they are a BMW NA owned operation.

ME

1 - 20 of 22 Posts