BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

After your advice, I'd decided on the '08 over the '07. I think I've found the one I want too. '08 blk/blk/carbon with heads-up, suede headliner and upgraded leather. Everything I want. 29,XXX miles. Dealer wanted $58,700, but we're down to $54,500. It'll have warranty till 10/12. How's that for price? If you remember my first post, I said that I'm in the military and stationed overseas. So my wife is gonna have to pick the car up for me:crying: i'm a little nervous about that, but not much I can do from Korea. Are there any major maintenance issues I'm going to have around 30K miles (brakes, etc)? i know the brake job is expensive, but not quite sure when it's due. I'm going to have her check in i-drive to see, but I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for her. If there are any maintenance items due around 30K miles and are they covered under the regular warranty?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, your car will also be under a 4 year/50,000 mile maintenance plan. So until you hit 50k on the odometer or as you mentioned 10/12, you're covered if you need brakes, an oil change, or any other wear-and-tear item.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats on the pending arrival of the Beast...

Advice: if its a BMW $tealership, negotiate to add the extended service and warranty "accessory", puts 2 more years and takes you to 100k. (see the new car build your own at the BMW usa website) Can't be beat insurance, last I checked I think it was about $3,500.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me preface this with I am in the business, and that affords me the opportunity to buy at the same lease return auction and factory sales the BMW dealer does. For $55k in a coupe, I would expect a popular color combination and miles in the high teens. At almost 30k miles, I would be looking at convertibles for that price point, especially this time of year. However, you don't have that opportunity, and the BMW dealership isn't in business to pass their cost along to you. Assuming they bought the car at the lease return sale for around $51,000, $54,500 sounds pretty fair to me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Anything! I'm not buying from a BMW dealer, but it seems to be a high-end dealer that has about 80-100 cars in a warehouse. They sell a lot of BMWs, Mercedes, Lambos, Bentleys, etc. From what I can see, they seem reputable.
Here is the carfax: I think I might try to get him down to $53,500-$54,000. But this car has everything I want, so I don't want to lose it. So what do you think, pull the trigger or not????

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Anything! I'm not buying from a BMW dealer, but it seems to be a high-end dealer that has about 80-100 cars in a warehouse. They sell a lot of BMWs, Mercedes, Lambos, Bentleys, etc. From what I can see, they seem reputable.
Here is the carfax: I think I might try to get him down to $53,500-$54,000. But this car has everything I want, so I don't want to lose it. So what do you think, pull the trigger or not????

·
Registered
21 Posts
I pulled this weeks numbers. If I were buying that car to resell, I would want to spend no more than $49,000. After fees and transportation, I would have $50k in it home. I assume the car you are looking at is ascetically acceptable. I have yet to buy one that didn't have at least one surprise when I got it home. So lets bump it to $50,500. Now that dealer has taken all of the responsibility of buying a car sight unseen (that how most are sold these days) only looking at a condition report. He has had his $50 k out. For him to make $3000 to $4000 on his $50k in risk, is only fair. If you like it, you should buy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me also add that it is really beneficial to you that it was such a late sale. Your 2008 actually has more warranty left than my 2009. You are not going to find many 2008 cars that weren't put into service until a few months after the 2009's were on the street. That is a benefit that you are paying nothing for and if you are planning on keeping it, it is very valuable. Comparatively, the 2008 I picked up in Munich during the first weeks of production has 5 months of warranty left. This car has 20 months of warranty left.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your insight. It was a huge help. I'M PULLING THE TRIGGER!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer told me they were at least 70%. Settled on $54,500 OTD. Wife is suppose to pick it up on Saturday!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations on your find and be safe in the land of the morning calm.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Randy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exciting news about your new car. Congratulations!... what city/area is she picking car up? If So.Cal, and you need another set of eyes to look the car over, let me know, and I will help if I can... (deal isn't final in California until you drive the car off the lot)....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer APW, but the car is in south TX. I'm excited to get the car home to my garage, even though I won't be able to drive her to mid-June. Thanks to all of you who helped me make my choice. because of some of your comments, I waited a little longer and got the car I really wanted with every option I wanted. Also a big thanks for running the numbers and letting me know it was a fair deal. When I had my 745Li, some board members were total asses. I don't see that here; just a lot of guys helping each other out. I'll post pics as soon as I have her home!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts