BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the rear M5 badge last week and thought someone would like to see a Sterling Grey Beast without the rear badge.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Good job Bob!

How did you do it exactly?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Good job Bob!

Following is one way:
1) use very fine wire or fishing line and place behind emblems while sawing back and forth with your hands. You are using the line as a saw to seperate the emblem from the car.
2) use wax/grease remover to take off remaining two sided tape.
3) compound/polish paint as required.

total time spent around 15 minutes

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That looks very nice! And sneeky. It reminds me of the butler in the Adam Sandler movie Deeds.

"I tink dat you ard undaestimate my sneekiness, sird..." Hehehe…

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Remove:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1. Sneak out your wife’s MegaWatt blow-dryer to your garage. turn the radio up real loud, so she doesn't hear her favorite bathroom beauty gadget.

2. Put a piece of dental floose behind the top edge of the emblem<o:p></o:p>

3. Apply as much of the Blow-dryer heat to the badge as you can handle to the emblem.<o:p></o:p>

4. Apply vertical pressure to the dental floss as you move it from side to side.<o:p></o:p>

5. I was able to get 75% of the emblems of with the factory 2-seded tape intact.<o:p></o:p>

6. Remove the balance of the tape with rubbing alcohol and the base of your thumb.<o:p></o:p>

7. Wash the remaining residue off with soap and water.<o:p></o:p>

8. Final step is to wax the area with your favorite blend.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The whole process took 1/2 hour.<o:p></o:p>

The wife just shrugged her shoulders when I should her my feat. I guess they don't understand................<o:p></o:p>

Ashok Arora said:
Good job Bob!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nice look! Thanks for the process and the pix so we can 'see' the after look. The nice thing is that the badge can always be put back on if necessary.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Daniel,

I agree, the egg yolk look really bothers me. Spending the $30 for the rear bulbs is a good idea. It will help clean up the look, even if you don't want to spend 1K for the front European spec assemblies, which look awesome!

Travis

·
Registered
931 Posts
howler said:
Daniel:
I never gave the "egg-yoke" bulbs any thought until you mentioned it
You can make your own 'silver' bulbs. Try a search on this....
basicly it is lightly spraying silver High Temp paint on the bulbs. I bought new Pep Boys bulbs as the yellow was coming off the OEM bulbs. Also only spray once, I wrecked a set by 'touching up' after the first coat dried. The paint started flacking right down past the yellow coating.

The new look is great! LOL :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The DIY clear turn signals are not a good idea. Once sprayed, the turn signals have a very dim affect when blinking, which is very unsafe. Spend the few dollars and get the real deal, this is a 75,000 dollar car.

Travis

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
A badgeless Sterling Beast.....very stealth looking. :thumbsup: :cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
M5Kid said:
The DIY clear turn signals are not a good idea. Once sprayed, the turn signals have a very dim affect when blinking, which is very unsafe. Spend the few dollars and get the real deal, this is a 75,000 dollar car.

Travis
Exactly, plus the homemade ones get scratched while installing them. It is virtually impossible to insert them into their housing without scratching them.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts