BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are the facts:
-the lock button on the remote key fob doesn't work, but unlock and trunk release does
-not just one key fob, BOTH are acting the same way
-have to lock using key blade manually on the driver door, which locks the entire car properly
-unlocking the car using the key blade on the driver door also works properly
-using the key in the trunk slot ONLY locks and unlocks the trunk, NOT the entire car
-all central locking fuses are intact
-keys start the car
-fuel door locks properly with central locking

I'm stumped!

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,603 Posts
Sounds like a bad locking relay in the General module.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does the central locking button in the center console lock all the doors properly? If so, then I'd say it's not a GM/locking issue, and instead lies with the key(s)/transponder. Though I can't swear to it, I want to say this might be a fob battery issue, where the locking function somehow requires more power so fades/dies before the unlocking function does. Might check fuse #57 in the trunk to make sure the inductive charger in the ignition switch is at least working to properly charge the key while the car is on.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,603 Posts
Except BOTH keys with same problem at the same time? Seems less likely to me. Most people use one key much more often than the other I would think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lock the doors and see if the fuel door locks. If not, often the fuel door actuator goes bad, blows fuse 53 in the trunk and prevents the key from working. That’s what happened to me. Replaced the actuator, fuse, reprogrammed the key and now it functions.

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Trying to remember, but wasn't there an issue with locking the car when the mechanism that locks the gas flap didn't work correctly?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lock the doors and see if the fuel door locks. If not, often the fuel door actuator goes bad, blows fuse 53 in the trunk and prevents the key from working. That’s what happened to me. Replaced the actuator, fuse, reprogrammed the key and now it functions.
i second that. was the problem with my car. inspect the fuse properly, took me a minute to realize it was bad..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts