BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to help out and see what experiences everyone had with their local dealerships. The Good and the Bad and even UGLY. :)

Please post your experience if you could.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i used to use a very large dealer that carried mb,rr, and bmw and the service was terrible they were nice to you when you were lookin\buying but once they had you they just **** all over you...literally like 3-5 weeks for an app w a loaner car.. i bought 2 cars from them after the last straw i said never again i went to the local small private dealer made a deal for the m5 and ive never been happier !! they even give me excellent service on my x5 whichc was not purchased from them !!

i think the best thing to do is to make friends with the serv writers and always be very friendly and build a relationship with these people..it helps

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assael BMW

In the process of getting the car I found it painful which should have been the biggest concern. Essentially talking to different dealerships to get the car. I talked to the sales representative and the manager at that time. Essentially they want to run my credit to just get into the car. Now why would I put an unnecessary credit inquiry on myself just to see if I actually liked that car? I don't think it should take that much effort to just test drive a car. Essentially I talked to the Manager at the location for about any hour and I told them the specifications that I was interested in. Bottom line he ended up saying I'll be sure to contact you the next day but typical used car mentality he never did and I ended up going to another dealership where I called and within that day I was in a car test driving it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South Bay BMW

One of the worse experience ever. I was looking for a specific color. I called up the sales manager and he said come on in we have the car. Took the long drive to get there. Ended up waiting for about 30 minutes for the guy to come out to tell me lets go up and see the car. I ended up walking pretty much the entire roof looking for this phantom car. Then waited another 30 minutes as they assured me oh the car is here we just need to find it. Which I told them I called to confirm the car was there and you told me it was. Then the guy pretended to go look outside for the car. Then when I told them this is bait and switch they tried to offer me money for the inconvenience. It was amazing the level of lies they weaved. Ended up dragging me around for the time I was there looking for this car. Then they stated oh this brand new car was now in the body shop to take car of some "things". Ended up reporting them to BMWNA where obviously nothing happened. Stay away from these guys.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the best thing to do is to make friends with the serv writers and always be very friendly and build a relationship with these people..it helps
The problem is that they do everything in their power not to make this a possibility just by the way the treat the customer. But going to a private dealer sounds better but not sure how well the allocation for the newer cars are since the allocation tends to be given to the larger dealerships.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OC area BMW dealers

These are the experience I had with BMW dealers in OC.

1) Shelly (92 525i), has decent sales/service, was fairly pleasant to deal with.

2) Assael (01 330i), bought the car there, but didn't service cause it was too far. But the sales manager was nice.

3) Crevier (05 M3), sales was very nice, service was excellent. Had a pretty good overall experience.

** Gave Crevier a chance to match prices on the M5 and X5.. didn't do it.. was kind of disappointed because I was repeat customer...**

4) Universal City MINI (06 CooperS), was very nice and helpful, the service was better than some of the BMW dealers!

5) McKenna (07 M5), sales was okay, wouldn't budge on pricing at all. But they had the exact car that I wanted. Service is okay.

6) Sterling (07 X5), sales was great, service, dont' know yet.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The problem is that they do everything in their power not to make this a possibility just by the way the treat the customer. But going to a private dealer sounds better but not sure how well the allocation for the newer cars are since the allocation tends to be given to the larger dealerships.

thats really not to true as i bought my beast more or less at the height of it and i had my car exactly 61 days from the date of purchase !!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Crevier BMW

I've had numerous bad experiences with them. Inquired about getting my M3 from them and they wouldnt even give me the time of day. No one approached my 2 different times I went there, and then was insulted by the guy I finally sat down with. I wouldn't even send someone I didnt like to that dealership, maybe someone I hated I though.

Tested it out when it came time for the M5, and same situation. Ignored twice, but I didnt bother sitting down with anyone the second time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BMW of Arlington...VA

By far the best dealership in VA. BMW of Fairfax sold the first build 745i out from under me in 2002. Went to BMW of Sterling they ordered it, I got the first build. They scratched the hell out of it when they gave me the free car ash with service deal. Sterling bought it back 6 weeks later. BMW of arlington stepped up...Dropped th price of the 3rd build by 3K, did what I asked. Ordered the 2006 M5 in 2004, was # 7 on the list. hey bumped me to #1 when they found out my 745's lease was expiring. Took delivery and they started valeting the car -- I live more than an hour drive to the dealership...They went to bat for me to replace my 2006 with the 2008 M5.. they still valet the car.

I have never experienced such treatment from a car dealer.

If you went to the M experience, then you may understand. My dealer treated me like that, and still does!

I can not praise them enough... My experience was great at BMW of Fairfax.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Desimone BMW

Just wanted to help out and see what experiences everyone had with their local dealerships. The Good and the Bad and even UGLY. :)

Please post your experience if you could.
My dealership has been excellent. They never mark up, service is fantastic. Able to get a loaner on very short notice.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I have leased three bimmers...

1st was Hassel BMW in Freeport. They suck. I was waiting in showroom for over 40 minutes and they actually helped people that came after me. Manager did smooth things over and I lease my 540i from them. Went back when I was in the market for a 6er. Salesman sucked, forgot to call me back for a test drive as promised so I decided never to use them again after that. But their service department was excellent.

2nd Rallye BMW in Roslyn. They also have Benz. I was looking for the SL500 or the 645conv, figured since they were both here this would work out fine. Went to MB first, salesman was nice, good price but said I needed to make an appointment to test drive the car...that didnt sit well as I tend to make the deal the same day if I like it. Walked over to BMW section, I was one of maybe 2 or 3 customers, once again I had to wait, and wait a long time. MY 6er was on the floor, 6 speed, which was what I wanted. I was drooling in the car!!! But nobody helped...Finally I start complaining and they send someone to help. Young guy, probably around my age at the time 27 or so. Takes me for a test ride after we sit at his desk to work out numbers. We come back someone else was at his desk so he grabs the paperwork and moves to another desk, where he starts to process the loan apps. Another salesman came over and told him he needed his desk back and the guy started turning red faced. I asked if he had a desk here...he said no, this was his first deal and only his 2nd or 3rd day on the job. Nice guy though. I signed that day.

3rd BMW of Oyster Bay. Very nice, very courteous. Didnt judge me like most dealerships do. (I am self employed and I dress however I like, which is usually jeans or shorts, t-shirts or sleeveless.) I told him I wanted an M6 convertible, he gave me numbers, we made a deal that day. First

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'll add my $0.02 here even though my perspective is that of an E39 2000 M5 owner. I ordered my Beast in early December 1999 after contacting both the local dealership (Circle BMW then in Shrewsbury, NJ) and another a bit further afield (Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ) which I had identified through an online search. Circle was about 10 minutes from my home and Prestige an hour-plus.

I got a much better feel from the sales team at Prestige, and they seemed in a position to get me my car sooner, a big consideration in those days because the wait was at least 6-9 months. In any event, I went with Prestige and got my M5 seven months later. In the meantime, I also learned from a poster on this Board at the time who had ordered his M5 from Circle that, when he went to take delivery, they informed him of a $5,000 "surcharge." (I have no way of knowing whether that occurred, but wouldn't be surprised knowing the way the market was in those days.)

I took my car to Prestige for the first few major services and was very impressed with their service operation: classy, competent and cordial. For a few odds and ends and mainly for convenience, I brought my car to Circle periodically and had the opposite experience. I developed the distinct impression that, because I hadn't bought my car there, I was a second-class citizen (at best!). At the time, Circle shared its premises with a couple of other dealers including -- if I recall correctly Chevy and Hyundai, so the facility was understandably shabby. Since then, Circle has relocated (Eatontown, NJ) and now has a state-of-the-art facility, arguably leapfrogging Prestige's which was always quite comfortable.

My biggest gripe about Circle is that, again because I didn't buy my car there, they would not provide a free loaner. Prestige, on the other hand, where I did buy my car, provides free loaners to anyone who has his/her BMW serviced there regardless of where they bought there cars.

So, my SES light had been on intermittently over the last few weeks and then stayed on for the past five days. Since this has tended to happen about every 6 months or so and has generally been a minor deal, I brought my car in to Circle. Before they could even figure out what was triggering the SES fault, the tech noticed that the rear sway bar brackets were broken. That was actually the good news since that set me back only $130. The bad news was it took them hours to identify (finally using something called a "smoke test") what was causing the SES fault. I'm now another $1,845 out of pocket for -- among other things -- two profile gaskets and various accoutrements, a breather valve, profile gasket and vent hoses. Oh, and for good measure, they threw in two fuel system cleaner bottles (at $12.50 each) because the throttle had some carbon build-up.

Since they needed to keep my car overnight in order to have parts shipped and despite not having bought my car there, they conceded to give me a loaner (a first). Imagine my surprise, though, when I walked outside to find an electric blue Chevy Cobalt, resplendent amongst a huge fleet of unused 3-Series loaners I'm sure that my service bills at Circle over the past seven years have more than covered any margin they would have made on the sale of my M5 in the first place, so this policy of "Penny wise, pound foolish" absolutely boggles my mind from a customer service/appreciation point of view. When is BMW (at least Circle) going to take some lessons from Lexus and Acura and Infiniti?

You can be sure that from now on I will drive the extra 60 miles to Ramsey for any further service.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had a bad experience

I took my car to Braman BMW in W Palm Beach, FL for it's 1200 svc and the FW update on 4/06. They also agreed to have the frt bumper plate holes filled at that time. My lousy salesman, D.F. said he alone would drive the car to the bodyshop "just down the street" that would repair the holes. Not only did this svc appt take twice as long as it was scheduled for, but when I picked it up, the holes were NOT repaired, and I noticed there were 31 miles put on it, and a very significant amt of fuel was used! To top that off, there was a paint chip on the driver's door edge that they refused to take responsibility for.
I gave them a scathing report card when BMW called with their satisfaction survey. Eff them, they'll never see me again!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I always pay cash so I get discounts :) but there are always some difficulties with dealers (slow, trouble with eta etc.) in my country. So I've been buying my cars for past ten years in Germany. No prob's there at all and love doing biz wth people(Germans) that I know will keep their word.

·
Registered
394 Posts
JMK BMW - Springfield, NJ

Haven't ordered the M5 yet (waiting for current lease to expire), but my previous BMW purchase/service has been excellent. The salesman (Fernando) doesn't use any pressure tactics, is extremely knowledgeable, and drives an M3 himself, so he can definitely appreciate someone coming in for this type of vehicle. Great place to test drive the M5 too, through the Watchung Reservation - windy mountain roads with access to a wide-open highway (outside of rush hour).

Service has been good, no complaints. Never any scratches or excessive road testing (but then again, I wasn't dropping off an M5). Loaners are always BMWs if you request them. I think they make you sign something saying there is no guarantee (if I remember right), but I've always gotten one when I remember to ask while setting up the appointment. Only negative is the lot is small, making drop-off a little difficult. But they are rebuilding the dealership and that should solve the problem. Not the same level of service my wife got servicing her MB at Millennium MB in Bridgewater NJ, but JMK is adequate in my opinion. I don't need my ***** kissed. Just fix my car right the first time.

I've been told as an existing customer I'll get a discount on the M5 when I place the order, but I won't state anything as fact until I actually take delivery (in SC BTW). Probably a modest discount anyway.

Overall, highly recommend the dealership and salesman if you live in the area.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Creiver

:M5thumbs: Crevier just recently switch to them from Irvine BMW :nono: .

Irvine BMW, absolute worst dealership I've ever dealt with. Service is horrible. This comes from personal expierance, and very good friends expierances. I was going to never buy a BMW again thinking this was the way it would be. I switched over to Crevier, and have had nothng but great expierances.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New Century

Well great place to just walk in and test drive an M5 (had about 6 M5s on the lot). Had zero issues with that. The largest BMW dealership on the west coast (so they tell me). Seems like the sales staff was less then educated on the M features sets. Professional sales managers. The purchasing experience was good wouldn't say great. Typical bait and switch mentality but if you're on your toes you can curb that. Sales staff seems like they don't do anything but walk you to the car. The sales didn't really know anything about the car. All the dealing has to be done with the sales manager. I would go back to them to purchase the car just choose my sales person more wisely.

Service department. Not bad. Very poor if you have an emergency you have to make it a point to get upper management involved to resolve the issue the day of the issue. But very doable. Get to know your service advisor for better overall service experience. Service overall rating experience would be 4 out of 10. Just because had to go back more than once for the same issues. Car is not ready even after they say it is. Have to wait for them for at least 20-40 minutes on average to bring the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dealers I've dealt with in the Orange County, CA area -

Crevier -
PROS: Excellent service and sales staff, bought too many cars from them (used e55 (back in 2001), 530i, 750li, m3 cabrio, m5, 335i). Will get me a new model (i.e. m5, 335) WITHOUT markup even if I didn't pre-order / not on list a soon as it comes out.
CONS: They are not the best price on easy to find vehicles i.e. 3 series, 7 series, etc.

Irvine BMW
PROS: Best price I could find on standard easy to find vehicles (328 sedan), straight forward lease numbers right in front of you. I don't think they pack the rate / price too often.
CONS: Sales is half-assed, and service is deplorable. Wouldn't put oil in my m5 (oil it burns) after 5k miles. Crevier will do it or just give me a bottle if i'm in a hurry no matter what.

Shelly BMW -
PROS: Very eager to make a deal. They were willing to negotiate thousands off of standard easy-to-find cars (7 series) without much of a fight. Service department was very nice the one time I used them (no appointment).
CONS: None that I'm aware of, havent' used them much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
TATE BMW Annapolis

They are great to deal with before and after the sale. I bought from them 06 M3 Competition. They still treat you with respect and more like friend than customer. I am going to order new M3 from them. Sales guy, John Mahoney is really great.

Igor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts